• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Motorola XTL 2500 speaker cable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

jim202

You need the 2 pin connector wire power cable that is next to the accessory connector. You can use a regular 2 wire trailer cable if need be. But make sure the ground connection is ground. Measure the 2 pins to the metal chassis with an ohm meter and mark the cable with zero Ohms to ground as the ground wire. YOU DON'T WANT TO REVERSE THESE WIRES AS YOU WILL DO DAMAGE TO THE RADIO IF THE GET THEM CONNECTED BACKWARDS.

The dash mount mobiles don't pull that much power and you can get away with the trailer size wire. Have done it many times over the years when I couldn't find the normal Motorola red and black 2 pin power cable to use.

The radio will not power up without this 2 pin power cable supplying power.

There is a setting in the software for the red wire on the accessory cable to turn on the radio with power being applied to that red wire. This is designed to use the accessory power in an auto to control the radio with the ignition switch.

Depending on where the radio came from, this feature may or may not be turned on.

toolman60

Have you looked at the manual for the radio,or the picture in post 17 from the manual. It shows the connection for the 12v connections.

Attachments

• xtl.jpg
    xtl.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 815

rescue161

KE4FHH
Database Admin
From what I can make of it, he broke the red wire out of the main DC connector, so he had to order a new one.

toolman60

Yes I understand that he pulled the wire out of his dc connector. But going back to post #36 "
I got the cable in the mail today and plugged it in and still for no power.
What do I need to do with the black cable?What do I need to do with the black cable?"
Looking at the pictures he posted he did not have the DC connector on radio.

That was the sole purpose to point him towards the install manual.

cmdrwill

NOTE red arrow in installation / wiring diagram, in post 42..
Needs to connect the 'Ignition lead' to 12 volts.............

Note the orientation of the 2 pin power connector in the diagram. The shrouded side is hot on the cable.

And do NOT forget the fuses..

Last edited:

Priority-One

Anonymous participant
Banned
Sorry for all the confusion. I am new to wiring. I have been programming for a few years but never actually wired a radio to an astron power supply.

I have ordered the new power cable since i accidentally ripped out the red wire attempting to pull it from the back of the radio.
Once i get the new power cable in, I will sit down and work on it this weekend to see if i can get it to power up.

I have been using a CDM1550LS+ on the same Astron power supply for over a year now, So i am a bit confused as to why i can't figure out how to get this XTL to power up.

Anderegg

Enter text in this field
Premium Subscriber
When you get the new connector, plug it into the accessory port. Then plug the main power into the radio. Strip the tip of the long accessory connector thin red wire, and touch it to the + terminal on the Astron, or slightly unjack the main power connector on the radio and touch the exposed part of the + at the back of the radio. This should allow you to at least test the radio for power up before you destroy any more wiring harnesses.

The radio REQUIRES power to the main plug, and also power to the accessory red wire at the same time to power on. You can disable the necessity for the extra red accessory wire in the CPS, but most are not set that way from the get go. As far as my experience with the XTL2500, you are required to have the accessory connector plugged in (even without ign sense connected to power), even if your radio is not programmed for ignition sense, or for TX inhibit or whatnot, to at least power up. Obviously you need a speaker so thats a moot point.

Paul

Priority-One

Anonymous participant
Banned
f939ec0e2409efd2e463754090f0cc78.jpg

Ta-da!

Thanks for all the help fellas!! I really appreciate everyone who guided me through this process. The sound and signal are great as well!

Now I need to get a new code plug and start fresh with the programming!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

toolman60

I agree on what you say,however he does not need a new code plug he just needs to edit the code plug in radio to his flavor.

"Now I need to get a new code plug and start fresh with the programming."

Priority-One

Anonymous participant
Banned
The reason for starting fresh is it needs a P25. It’s flashed for smartnet and analog only. I want a new codeplug that’s blank.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

toolman60

Ah very well I understand that is a reason for new code plug. Got my interest up in adding it to a 2500 now. I figured it would take firmware and dsp upgrades to make it work so never checked into it very much.

JLPicard

Premium Subscriber
Same problem

Thank you gents, been reading through these pages and got the guidance I needed.

Recently purchased a surplus XTL2500, have ordered a genuine mains power supply and an external speaker; now I am about to order an HLN6863B as suggested to connect the speaker.

Just to reiterate and clarify what to do when I have all items.

- Connect the HLN6863B jack to the accessory port at rear of XTL2500
- Connect the speaker two wire molex to the speaker
- Splice the Red +12V output from mains power supply
- Join the red wire from HLN6863B to the spliced +12V from power supply
- Ensure fuses are in place
- Connect the two wire DC lead from mains power supply to the power receptacle of XTL2500
- Switch power supply on
- Move well away, in case of blow up... https://s.radioreference.com/forums/images/icons/icon12.gif

Missed anything?

Cheers
Paul from DownUnder

Status
Not open for further replies.