N9JIG Mobile Updated for Spring

Status
Not open for further replies.

N9JIG

Sheriff
Well, it is spring here, 80's every day and sunny! Sorry Chicagoland, I don't miss winter at all!

Last year after I bought my new Pilot I installed some of the radios (http://forums.radioreference.com/pictures-your-shack-mobile-setup/312816-n9jig-mobile.html) but now I have completed the install and cleaned up the wiring.

I have 2 BCD996XT's connected to RH-96 remote heads, an Alinco DR-638 V-U dual bander and have since added my Icom IC7000 HF-2M-70CM all-bander.

The XT's are both connected to a Uniden GPS via a homemade cable allowing the one GPS unit to connect to 2 serial ports. On each I also installed a jack for the remote heads as the front panel one is too flimsy for me. (http://forums.radioreference.com/uniden-thread-archives/270715-rh-96-rewiring.html)

All 4 radios have remote speakers since they are buried in the back cargo area. If you look closely at the Alinco you may notice that the head is actually mounted to the speaker itself. A little background will help explain this:

When I buy a new car I leave the heads for the various radios in it for a couple weeks to figure out where I want to put them before I actually install them. I happened to also leave a speaker there one day and found that it fit nice and snug into a cubby on the dash intended for one to put his pocket change or cell phone. I accidentally pushed it in too hard and it was so tight I had to really yank on it to get it out. I realized that it was just the right size to hold the Alinco head so I used a couple short sheet-metal screws to mount the backing plate for the Alinco to it. Worked like a charm!

The IC7000 is mounted to a PortaClip. I bought one of each of the 3 PortaClips for my vehicle and experimented in where to mount this and the scanners and decided to use just the right Clip for the IC7000. I kept the other two (Left and far left) for possible future use.

The scanners are mounted to the forward wall of the center hutch with a standard RH-96 bracket, the two heads are then connected to each other with a mending strip.

In the rear cargo area I mounted the radios. I was worried about heat but over the summer (average temps about 110...) I checked and the radios were all nice and cool so somehow the vehicle AC gets in there.I think the black cover protects from radiant heat and the complete tinted windows help.

For antennas I had a radio shop install 4 Larson NMO mounts to the roof and route the cables (I did all the rest of the work myself). When I added the IC7000 I used a K400 mount on the rear hatch. I discovered BTW that the secondary metal lip is a removable piece, taking that off allowed me to access the Allen screws holding the mount. I then snaked in the cable to the rear cargo area.

The radios are set to go on and off with the ignition thru a relay so I don't accidentally leave them on. I use a standard AT180 for the HF side of the IC7000. I rarely work HF other than occasional 10M stuff but I do a lot of SWL'ing in the car.

As you can see by the pics I got a CloseCall hit on 306.325 while I was taking pictures. This sounded like F16's and F35's making Approach Runs at a former Luke AFB Auxiliary Field about 5 miles from my house. They put in the equipment there so they can practice approaches and not be tying up the airspace around the base itself (15 miles SE of me).

Now for some pictures!

Here are the antennas: I have 2 of the Comet rubber dual band and 2 Comet sire dual banders. Each radio has its own. I will likely get 2 more of the Comet rubber antennas next time I am at HRO, they are awesome and work great on the scanners as well as the dualbanders. I do keep a couple MON-51's in the car for when I am in California or when skip is up. The white antenna is a Hustler fiberglass Hamstick on the K400 UHF mount with a UHF-3/8 adapter. I also have a couple other antennas I can use there including an Outbacker knockoff that actually works pretty well.

Ant2.jpg

Here are the radio heads. Note that the Alinco is mounted on it's remote speaker. The speakers for the Icom and the scanners are under the scanner heads.

All5.jpg

Here is how it looks from the driver's perspective:

Int1.jpg

The rear cargo area holds the radios themselves. It looks a little messy but I didn't tie up the wires since the whole thing is covered and as soon as I do I will have to replace one and take it all apart...

Rear1.jpg

When the cover is closed you don't see a thing except the GPS lead. The GPS puck is in a drink tray next to the third row seats, works great!

Closed.jpg

Great setup. Got only ft857d and a 536hp on my pilot and just temporarily mounted.i cant leave my gears in there. Also i cant afford to give holes on my baby :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

W2JMZ

Nice install! Maybe I missed it but do you have a HF antenna. If so a better picture of it would be greatly appreciated.

Great setup. Got only ft857d and a 536hp on my pilot and just temporarily mounted.i cant leave my gears in there. Also i cant afford to give holes on my baby :)

Let's see it! Even if it maybe temporary.

W2JMZ

popnokick

Premium Subscriber
His Hustler HF antenna is on the back bumper or lift gate.... driver's side. You can see the tip of it poking up above the roof in the rooftop pic. It's the only white antenna. But yes... would like to see a pic of how it's mounted so as to avoid the lift gate, etc.

03msc

RF is RF
Premium Subscriber
As always, a top notch setup by you. This looks great!

How do you like that Alinco radio? That's the model from them that is Part 90 accepted, correct?

N9JIG

Sheriff
Here are a couple pics of the HF antenna and mount. The mount is a Diamond K400 SO239, using an adapter for a 3/8 whip. The antenna is a Hustler Ham Stick with a 10M element, I also have a 20M element as well.

The nice thing about this mount is I don't have to remove the whip to get in and out of the garage. The top of the 20M element is about 4 inches shy of the open garage door (about 8 feet clear) and with the 10M element I have a few extra inches.

The Dual band antennas clear the door as well but if I use a MON-51 on the roof I have to remove it before going in the garage. I forgot once and the RR NMO is now a little uneven as a result.

One of the things I did was use different color tie wraps on each antenna lead. I have a label in the inside of the cargo tray to remind which is which so I can swap an antenna out.

Here is the mount and adapter:

HF3.jpg

Here is the entire antenna:

HF2.jpg

N9JIG

Sheriff
As always, a top notch setup by you. This looks great!

How do you like that Alinco radio? That's the model from them that is Part 90 accepted, correct?

Yes it is. I bought one of the first ones out there when it came out. (http://forums.radioreference.com/amateur-radio-equipment/296159-first-look-alinco-dr-638-a.html) It has been very sensitive but as expected not particularly selective. It works for me since I live just this side of the end of the earth but when I get into town it gets some noise. It does work great on the local rail channels and is primarily used for that these days. Occasionally I will get on a 2M or 440 repeater and have had no problems with it. I did get the software for it from RT Systems and got everything I wanted into it.

I had my k400 small stab folded a bit out so it wont hit hard the brakelight. I keep removing my ATAS 120a, its eye catching to thieves..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

N5TWB

Yes it is. I bought one of the first ones out there when it came out. (http://forums.radioreference.com/amateur-radio-equipment/296159-first-look-alinco-dr-638-a.html) It has been very sensitive but as expected not particularly selective. It works for me since I live just this side of the end of the earth but when I get into town it gets some noise. It does work great on the local rail channels and is primarily used for that these days. Occasionally I will get on a 2M or 440 repeater and have had no problems with it. I did get the software for it from RT Systems and got everything I wanted into it.
Rich - Thanks for the link to your RR review and the following comments. It's interesting that there is only one review on e-Ham.com on that model.

N9JIG

Sheriff
Rich - Thanks for the link to your RR review and the following comments. It's interesting that there is only one review on e-Ham.com on that model.

I don't often read e-Ham and haven't posted there before. I probably should... Maybe I will polish my review now that I have had it for a year and post it up there.

Status
Not open for further replies.