Need Help with NE Mpls Frequencies

Status
Not open for further replies.

alsphotography

Premium Subscriber
These idiots are sitting on thrones with a flush handle behind them. They don’t care who I am. So for their disrespect I quit. 160 houses I cared about. All they gave me was crap. And I do have a trunk tracker. I paid $600.00 for it. Exellent unit just stupid people that run to bars to meet after work. Thank you for your reply. Allen.

Need help with NE Minneapolis frequencies

All I ask for is the frequencies on the east side of the river but the name of the area that number covers, Thanks again.

Allen,

Please forgive me, but I truly do not understand your question. In a trunked radio system such as Minneapolis uses, there are no frequencies specific to, or exclusive to, the 2nd Precinct, or any other precinct for that matter. Rather, there are a bank of frequencies that are (in the interest of providing a simple explanation), randomly assigned by computer to any user, police, fire, any other radio user, who keys his or her radio. The frequencies are constantly "rotating" or "variably assigned". There are a relatively few frequencies in a 'bank' that a large number of users get access to.

The scanner listener decides what he or she wants to listen to by entering the appropriate "Talk Groups". Talk Groups are essentially "virtual channels" which are assigned to each police and fire channel. It is the Talk Group number that is specific to a police channel, not any of the frequencies. Minneapolis Police use Talk Groups 2954, 2956, 2958, 2960, 2968 and so on. The 2nd Precinct typically uses "Channel 3", which is Talk Group 2958. However, during certain times of the day or particularly busy times, the channels will change. That is at the PD's discretion.

So, in order for my scanner to receive the Minneapolis Police calls that I want to hear, I must first enter the control frequencies into the "Trunk System" or 'TSYS' table. (Your radio and software is undoubtedly different from mine). Then, after entering those "85n.nnnn" frequencies, I must enter the correct Talk Group numbers that I want my radio to scan.

Users here have provided the Minneapolis City Center and N-S Simulcast control frequencies, the entire list of Talk Groups and links to the software and files to program your scanner. This really is all you should need to hear 2nd Precinct calls. If you can hear other precinct calls, but not the 2nd, then I suspect that one number, somewhere, isn't right. I would guess that one of the control frequencies is either missing or incorrect or one of the talk groups is missing or incorrect.

I sincerely hope this helps, but I honestly don't know what else to say or offer to help you.

alsphotography

Premium Subscriber
Ok

Well, first of all thank you very much for your response. They won’t give me the number for station 15 of the FD. And I’ve been getting all the MPD out calls to all police depts except by me. Nothing close around here. They say that some Departments share the same frequencies but still after 2 months I have not heard one call in this neighborhood. And there is trouble around here. I’m the block leader and the 2nd pct doesn’t even know what frequency their running on. I had to call 911 to get the info but even they don’t know. How about that?

shadcall

I still don't think you get it. 2nd precinct does not run on a single frequency. It is part of a larger system with multiple frequencies and you have to put all of them into your scanner which you said you have done. The previous poster, Dave, gave you the talkgroup that is used by the 2nd precinct. This is how you will be able to listen to communications for them, but it appears that it covers several precincts and not just the 2nd.and is subject to change. Someone here will be able to assist you in programming this talk group. So please don't ask for the "frequency" for your area. I'm guessing station 15 probably also has a specific talk group and not a single frequency.

Also I would be very cautious calling 911 to get help for your scanner. You are likely to end up as the block captain for the cell block you end up on.

You might be better off listening to Dave's audio broadcast of the Minneapolis Police and Fire, he has on there the 2nd precinct.

Last edited:
Well, first of all thank you very much for your response. They won’t give me the number for station 15 of the FD. And I’ve been getting all the MPD out calls to all police depts except by me. Nothing close around here. They say that some Departments share the same frequencies but still after 2 months I have not heard one call in this neighborhood. And there is trouble around here. I’m the block leader and the 2nd pct doesn’t even know what frequency their running on. I had to call 911 to get the info but even they don’t know. How about that?

I found this info for Station 15 at:

Fire Station 15 - City of Minneapolis

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Fire Station 15
2701 NE Johnson St.
Minneapolis, MN 55418
(612) 789-1972

In an emergency Call 911 – Do not call the fire station directly.

Other Contact Information
Minneapolis Fire Department
City Hall, 350 S 5th St., Room 233
Minneapolis, MN 55415

General Information: (612) 673-2890
Fire Department Fax: (612) 673-2828
Fire Department TTY: 612) 673-2157

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I scan and listen to all the Minneapolis Police channels. While it is certainly true that the 3rd Precinct, being the largest, and the 4th Precinct, tend to dominate the calls, I do indeed hear calls from the 2nd Precinct. I just heard two, in fact. One pertaining to a possible PI accident at University and Lowry, and another call pertaining to theft from the SA at 3357 SE University.

alsphotography

Premium Subscriber
Could you please look and see what the frequency is and tell me? This will solve the whole problem. God bless and please have a good holiday season.

Could you please look and see what the frequency is and tell me? This will solve the whole problem. God bless and please have a good holiday season.

Apparently you are not reading the replies that have been given thus far. There is NO "frequency" for the area you are inquiring about. There are multiple frequencies that could be used in the area. All of the frequencies on the ARMER Trunked Radio Ssystem in the area you have asked about have been given to you at least one time.

I can only gather that you have not programmed your scanner to following the trunked system. It sounds like you have simply programmed in the frequencies as conventional frequencies. If you want to be able to hear specific precincts or stations, this type of scanner programming will not work. I suggest you seek out someone in your area that is familiar with scanner programming. I would also suggest that you stop blaming your local PD & FD for not giving out the information, most of them probably don't even know how the system really works let alone understand how to program your scanner.

2nd Precinct - NE Mpls

Al,

Again, please forgive me, but I still can't understand your question. There is no frequency number for the 2nd Precinct. There is no frequency number for Fire Station 15. I would happily and eagerly give it to you if there were, but the fact is, there aren't any frequency numbers specific to your precinct. Instead, there are a whole bunch of frequency numbers that ALL the precincts and fire department "share".

The primary Talk Group number for Precinct 2 is 2958, MPD Channel 3.

Apparently you are not reading the replies that have been given thus far. There is NO "frequency" for the area you are inquiring about. There are multiple frequencies that could be used in the area. All of the frequencies on the ARMER Trunked Radio Ssystem in the area you have asked about have been given to you at least one time.

I can only gather that you have not programmed your scanner to following the trunked system. It sounds like you have simply programmed in the frequencies as conventional frequencies. If you want to be able to hear specific precincts or stations, this type of scanner programming will not work. I suggest you seek out someone in your area that is familiar with scanner programming. I would also suggest that you stop blaming your local PD & FD for not giving out the information, most of them probably don't even know how the system really works let alone understand how to program your scanner.

Al, ThinBlueLine22 makes some valid points here.

1. It is probably not reasonable for any particular police officer, department or precinct to know how their radio system operates. Neither is it reasonable to assume that 911 operators would have such technical information (and the MPD telling you to call 911 just flabbergasts me). Like many things in our lives today, the radio communication system used by most large cities has become a lot more complicated than it used to be. The average fire fighter or police officer probably doesn't have a clue how it works - nor should they have to care about it. Just as long as it works when they need it. Such technical information is usually relegated to the radio shop and those who administer the communications system.
2. If you have indeed programmed the control frequencies in as conventional frequencies, you will probably hear most of the traffic, but it surely won't be "in order" or make any sense. All you will hear are a sort of series of "non-sequitur" communications. I.e., A call from one precinct. A call from another precinct. A response from Animal Control. A call to Engine XX. And so on. Intact, but out of order.

It is clear that your radio probably works fine. We have all the information we need. I truly believe that it is just a matter of getting it programmed correctly.

The why on my scanner do all the police depts start at 800.000-875.000?
Explain that.

Because that is the frequency band that the TRUNKED RADIO SYSTEM is using. Maybe it would do you some good to read up on TRUNKED RADIO SYSTEMS to understand them a bit better. Then perhaps the good answers that everyone has given will make a lot more sense.

ARMER (Allied Radio Matrix for Emergency Response) is what many metro area Police/Fire/EMS/Transit/Public Works agencies use for their radio communications. This systems uses radio frequencies in the 700/800 MHz range. In this trunked radio environment, the frequencies used will essentially rotate through as they are needed.

Let's say I have ten frequencies in the trunked radio site that I want to listen to. One of these frequencies will always be a "control channel" that is only transmiting digital data. The remaining nine frequencies are available to the individual radio units affiliated with that trunked radio site. Now, instead of each department using their own Frequency, they are assigned Talkgroups which is pretty much a virtual radio channel designated by a numeric value. As a talkgroup becomes active with a radio communication, it uses up one of the available frequencies at the trunked radio site. A computer actually assigns the frequency and it is never known to the end user what frequency they are talking or listening on. A talkgroup can be active on any of the frequencies at the trunked radio site.

Since a conversation on a talkgroup could technically jump around to multiple frequencies, a Trunk tracking scanner is needed to properly follow a conversation. A trunk tracking scanner uses that Control Channel data to following the conversation that you want regardless of what frequency it is on. If you set up a scanner to simply scan through the frequencies in the trunked radio site (without setting it up as a trunked system on your scanner) you will hear radio traffic, but you won't be able to follow the conversation nor will you be able to "lock out" unwanted talkgroups.

Again, please read about ARMER or Trunked Radio Systems to familiarize yourself with how scanning in Minnesota works.

Status
Not open for further replies.