• Effective immediately we will be deleting, without notice, any negative threads or posts that deal with the use of encryption and streaming of scanner audio.

We've noticed a huge increase in rants and negative posts that revolve around agencies going to encryption due to the broadcasting of scanner audio on the internet. It's now worn out and continues to be the same recycled rants. These rants hijack the threads and derail the conversation. They no longer have a place anywhere on this forum other than in the designated threads in the Rants forum in the Tavern.

If you violate these guidelines your post will be deleted without notice and an infraction will be issued. We are not against discussion of this issue. You just need to do it in the right place. For example:
    https://forums.radioreference.com/rants/224104-official-thread-live-audio-feeds-scanners-wait-encryption.html

New comer to MILCOM and SATCOM

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,

I am interested in listening to MILCOM and SATCOM. I have read the forum wikis about it however I am still confused regarding the amount of information to comprehend. Im just wondering, what is a good starter receiver and antenna setup to use for MILCOM? Im not interested in SATCOM as much as I am MILCOM. So even though I mentioned, anyone that is willing to help is requested to stick with MILCOM.

I have a BC72XLT and just a few minutes ago I was able to hear the ISS's downlink tones from my scanner, so I know that the SATCOM frequencies already work. I cant listen to MILCOM on the current receiver due to limitations being its really a beginner scanner that doesnt even have trunk tracker abilities.

Back to MILCOM, Please help me regarding the topic. All I really would like to know is what receiver/antenna setup would be good for a newcomer.

Thanks,

Wizurd

Only two come to mind for me, the Uniden 15X base/mobile, and the Uniden 396XT. Haven't had any experience with the 15X, but the 396 really does a good job of milair. Also use a Pro-163 for some milair. The better receivers, Icom R-20, R-6, the newer Alinco DJ-X11 will do a great job too. You'll get a lot telling you about the Uniden 780, 199x's scanner, the Pro-2006 (bit earlier than the 780). You'll want something that receives in the AM, and FM modes with the frequency range of 225-380MHz. Used my 106 at an airshow last year, but it cut into listening to the air base's trunked system.
But, just out.......the BC-125AT would be the ideal beginner milair scanner. Just some advice from one who has listened since the 80's to milair on HF/VHF and UHF.
JMHO,
Larry

Status
Not open for further replies.