Shawnee County chooses Motorola P-25 system

Status
Not open for further replies.

nec911

Awesome job kaa951

If you haven't heard KAA951 is a very good guy when it comes to Interop, then take my word for it. It is good to hear we have Incident Commanders who know how to use the KSICS Interop the right way. I have my problems with the new system they are proposing here, except that it includes at least six towers. The other night proves that the current system was not designed with enough towers at all and hopefully people like myself and KAA951 can keep hounding the designers so stuff like the other night do not hinder operations so much. Good job KAA951.

KAA951

Premium Subscriber
Thanks! Nothing like having to run back to the engine every time dispatch wants to talk to you! There was no coverage on the Shawnee County system from portable radios but we had a full 5 bars on KSICS!

cinsu

Monitoring the Johnson county thread this morning, they experienced a planned outage for about 20 minutes. This reminded me of last year and the year before when Shawnee County lost 100% of their trunked system including fail soft. At that time their backup plan was to use the KHP conventional towers which no longer existed, the 800 conventional mutual aid towers which were not functional and their courthouse conventional repeater which had extremely limited range. Basically they were left with complete radio loss. With their outages getting more frequent and signal issues increasing I wonder if anybody has plans for any sort of backup? As has been stated many times their dispatch doesn't have the ability or training to operate on their KSICS channels and many of their users are still using MTS and MCS 2000s that aren't p25. I have been watching for any new FCC licenses in Shawnee County and nothing has come up. As of 2 weeks ago when they worked a mutual aid assist on a pursuit and attempted to use the 800 conventional mutual aid towers they were still not working.

While it extremely limited their abilities at least Johnson County had some form of limited backup communication. At this point I guess the users and administrators of Shawnee County can just sit back and wait until an officer or firefighter gets hurt or killed and THEN maybe formulate some sort of backup plan. There will always be those that advocate cell phones but there are 1000s of reasons public safety can't operate on cell phones.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

nec911

New Tower Site on BOCC Agenda

Attached is another new lease agreement for Shawnee County's new system. Also, I was out of State training on WMD but ten days ago the Shawnee County Planning Commission had an agenda item pertaining to a new tower in the 6300 Blk of SE Shawnee Heights Rd. I have not been able to see the minutes to see what happened. When I find out, I will pass it on.

KAA951 and I are both prolly the happiest of campers because that will sure help eastern Shawnee County's holes up that way that have been there on the current system for years. :):):):):):):)

PS. And if you were listening earlier, KAA951 again used his brilliant knowledge and actually again proving the worth of the KSICS. Isn't it great being interoperable with another agency? Of course those without the KSICS were a little lost for awhile.

Attachments

• Tower Lease for Shawnee County P25 BOCC Agenda.pdf
    166.9 KB · Views: 213
  • Planning Commission 12-10-12.pdf
    53.4 KB · Views: 211

KAA951

Premium Subscriber
PS. And if you were listening earlier, KAA951 again used his brilliant knowledge and actually again proving the worth of the KSICS. Isn't it great being interoperable with another agency? Of course those without the KSICS were a little lost for awhile.

I don't know about brilliant nec!!! Lucky- right place at the right time!!! LOL

It should be interesting to see what they do on the Shawnee Heights Road tower- the land owner told the commission that all the neighbors were okay with it when he made the proposal. It turns out he hadn't talked to any of them and they all signed zoning protests. You know, we need police / fire radio towers, but not in my backyard...

Last edited:

nec911

. It turns out he hadn't talked to any of them and they all signed zoning protests. You know, we need police / fire radio towers, but not in my backyard...

If they are going to get this system up before KDOT shuts off the current system, then they better hurry up and get these issues solved. I guess they are still having issues with the one north of Rossville as well.

I guess I might be different, but I recognize that infrastructure to do all the fancy communications has to start somewhere. It isn't like we burying Nuclear Waste in their backyard.

KSDeputy

Showing mine too. I was dispatching for Shawnee County on those freqs. Plus talking to other agencies on 39.46. Later transferred to another department within agency, back then sworn deputies did the dispatching as you must know.

Last edited:

sabo

Premium Subscriber
remember well....sorry cant remember their names..but Wanamaker comes to mind. I worked under Jim Chaffee..how about you

KAA951

Premium Subscriber
New Tower sites approved

The map in the background of the photo in the article is interesting. It shows current radio coverage in green and all 6 of the tower sites for the new system as yellow circles.

County OKs construction of radio towers | CJOnline.com

What is really sad is that those coverage issues have existed since the 19@0's and they are finally fixing them.

They are still planning to have this system up and running this summer- we'll see. I understand that they have already taken delivery of all the hardware.

cinsu

While I am sure the Sheriff's office did some coercing it is good to see a resident showing their concern for those out there to help them.

guiltyimnot

I had a TPD officer last night tell me they are planning on having all traffic scrambled so people can't use scanners. I assume he is talking about encryption. Anyone know if this is true as its the first I've heard of it.

KAA951

Premium Subscriber
I had a TPD officer last night tell me they are planning on having all traffic scrambled so people can't use scanners. I assume he is talking about encryption. Anyone know if this is true as its the first I've heard of it.

Not true. Tactical channels will be encrypted, but both the Police Chief and Sheriff have publicly said they have no intent of encrypting dispatch channels.

cinsu

They are still planning to have this system up and running this summer- we'll see.

Via the Sheriff's newsletter, they say they are still on time for the originally planned date. If I remember right, sometime towards the end of June. I don't know much about the licensing of towers and the building process but even if they have some quck tower builders the permits haven't been approved by the FCC yet. I keep watching for the radio license to be issued and it hasn't come out either however there is WQPC306, I'm wondering if it may be related based on the construction notification not long after the last 2 sites were approved by the BOCC.

firefive76

Via the Sheriff's newsletter, they say they are still on time for the originally planned date. If I remember right, sometime towards the end of June. I don't know much about the licensing of towers and the building process but even if they have some quck tower builders the permits haven't been approved by the FCC yet. I keep watching for the radio license to be issued and it hasn't come out either however there is WQPC306, I'm wondering if it may be related based on the construction notification not long after the last 2 sites were approved by the BOCC.

An email I received the other day said sometime in September.

cinsu

Application has been made for the system license, as of now it is still pending under application number 5820170. This license only includes 8 frequencies so wondering if they will use some from the old system as things transition or how they are planning to handle that.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

KSDeputy

Waiting for new P 25 system.

My portable scanner was disabled by re-banding. I am waiting until the new Shawnee County P-25 system is operational before buying a replacement. It sounds as if the newest Uniden portable is the way to go, time will tell. A far cry from the first scanners that used crystals.

KAA951

Premium Subscriber
My portable scanner was disabled by re-banding. I am waiting until the new Shawnee County P-25 system is operational before buying a replacement. It sounds as if the newest Uniden portable is the way to go, time will tell. A far cry from the first scanners that used crystals.

Douglas County should be well on its way to a P-25 system soon too!

cinsu

License WQRT446 has been issued! I would expect some RF activity on the new frequencies soon, latest information I have heard most of the infrastructure is complete or close to it.

KAA951

Premium Subscriber
License WQRT446 has been issued! I would expect some RF activity on the new frequencies soon, latest information I have heard most of the infrastructure is complete or close to it.

I see the license only has 8 freqs assigned. Do you have any idea what freqs they are planning on migrating from the existing TRS to fill out the 15 freqs for the completed system?

Status
Not open for further replies.