Shawnee County chooses Motorola P-25 system

Status
Not open for further replies.

kd0ega

Premium Subscriber
...antennae issue perhaps? OR the scanner still needs some fine tuning adjustments made ...I sure hope that this is not what we will be dealing with in Shawnee Co. with the hand held scanners. I can make a fixed location work for me reception wise, going mobile not so much.

kd0ega

Premium Subscriber
....Since I could not go back and edit due to elapsed time......should have read

mounted antenna issue perhaps such as faulty ground, bad connector(s), damaged co-ax, etc, etc.

Trying to be helpful as well as figure out what I will be dealing with shortly,,,,,,

kd0ega

Premium Subscriber
YEA!!! back monitoring again

As of Thursday night(7-24-15), I have joined the ranks of those monitoring Shawnee Counties P-25 system.
I am monitoring with a BCD996T using the stock telescopic antenna...it is set up as a base unit at home...No issues at all receiving signals(I must be living right!)....Thanks Mark (KAA951) for selling me this awesome unit! I am making some fine tuning adjustments to suit my taste.
All I have programmed in the 996 is Shawnee Counties P-25 system while my PRO-92 scans the old analog system .....AMR, Topeka Fire Dept's. Page Out and Station Alerting Data (I think?) and Shawnee County Emergency Management.

I do have a couple of questions...
1) Is Topeka Police Dept's "car to car" channel encrypted? Been picking up a split second or two of unintelligible garble at times and it would appear,according to the display, that it is this channel.

2) I am familiar with KSICS,but not as it relates to scanner monitoring...is there any of the KSICS channels that anyone would recommend as far as monitoring within Shawnee County? I understand that the talk groups for Shawnee County are for future use...I am inquiring about the statewide Mutual Aid/Incident Command ,Statewide Interoperability ,Emergency Management Talk groups as examples.

cinsu

Speaking of, I'm no longer in SNCO but out of curiosity where did KHP and CAP go? They go fully to KSICS or did they get TG on the new SNCO system?

Blind_Shadow

Feed Provider
A ..
1) Is Topeka Police Dept's "car to car" channel encrypted? Been picking up a split second or two of unintelligible garble at times and it would appear,according to the display, that it is this channel.

Yes TPD, car 2 car, is encrypted now

joeuser

The Wretched
IIRC, event channels are like a chat channel. Its also used to work with other public services in a given area, it'd be worth monitoring.

Blind_Shadow

Feed Provider
are there any other ones from Topeka and/or Shawnee County that are encrypted that you know of or will be encrypted?

The ones that have come up so far seem to be for TPD:

channels 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9,10 and 11 so far

or

tag info, car2car, tac1, tac2, tac3, training, detectives ( CI ), narc, violent crime unit

Still working on verifying/confirming others......

kd0ega

Premium Subscriber
I JUST noticed something at the Shawnee County P-25 frequency database Topeka / Shawnee County (P25) Trunking System, Topeka, Kansas - Scanner Frequencies
...in the system talk groups where it says "Mode" there is either a letter "D" or "E" shown...
almost all Alpha Tag's show the letter "D" with the fallowing exceptions which show the letter "E":

Shawnee County Sheriff Narcotics
Shawnee County Sheriff Secure
Shawnee County Fire Secure
American Medical Response EMS St.Francis ER for Patient Reports .. (HIPPA? AMR is still
American Medical Response EMS Stormont-Vail for Patient Reports .. analog ,for now)
Topeka Police Information
Topeka Police Car to Car
Topeka Police Tac 1
Topeka Police Tac 2

Could the letter "E" in Mode mean encrypted? Not sure what what the letter "D" means either....Digital perhaps?

Last edited:

Blind_Shadow

Feed Provider
< Could the letter "E" in Mode mean encrypted? Not sure what what the letter "D" means either....Digital perhaps? >

Yes,

A = Analog
D = Digital
M = Mixed Analog/Digital
E = Encrypted
X = Analog Encrypted

kd0ega

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the help....much appreciated!!

< Could the letter "E" in Mode mean encrypted? Not sure what what the letter "D" means either....Digital perhaps? >

Yes,

A = Analog
D = Digital
M = Mixed Analog/Digital
E = Encrypted
X = Analog Encrypted
Thanks t0pk01ne for info. I now have things figured out on the city and county side....got all of the encrypted channels weeded out of the system.

KAA951

Premium Subscriber
The FCC finally approved the "temporary" license for Shawnee County's new paging system on 158.835. WQUP294 was approved on the 29th and allows them to operate until February 2015 while they apply for a permanent license.

This has been a mess- the old two-site paging system finally bit the dust a few months ago, so the hurried the new 7 site simulcast paging system onto the air as a stopgap. Then they learned it wasn't licensed, so the turned 5 of the towers off and just used new equipment on those old towers. Unfortunately, they were never designed to cover the county with those two sites so many agencies have been having problems getting calls out and setting off their legacy station alerting systems.

Hopefully, this has now been resolved! I know one of the fire chiefs had told the county that they needed to turn the system on and eat the FCC fine as it would be cheaper than the lawsuit that could be filed if someone called 911 and the fire department wasn't dispatched.

Status
Not open for further replies.