Simple Question? BC785D(without the digital card) Vs. BC796D

Status
Not open for further replies.

samorlando

Simple question. If you compare the BC785D(without the digital card) Vs.
BC796D (leave out the digital feature and knowing it costs a lot more) what are the differences that mean anything? I do see Trunk Tracker III in the 785 and Trunk Tracker IV in the 796. Is IV better than III. The reason I'm asking is I don't want to dish out the bucks for digital. I do want alpha tagging. Yet I don't want added none digital features left out that may be in the 796. Its funny how the more I narrow my search down, the more expensive it gets.

Again, I appreciate your comments.

Below is the data from the Uniden site for comparison.

The BC785D Digital Capable Scanner is APCO P-25 Capable with 1000 channels,
10 banks, 10 priority channels and continuous band coverage.
PRODUCT FEATURE LIST
APCO 25 Digital Ready - Requires the installation of Uniden's BCi 25D
Digital Card in order to monitor APCO P-25 Digital Systems,
1000 Channels / 10 Banks
10 Priority Channels
Continuous Band Coverage - 25MHz to 1.3GHz
TrunkTracker III - EDACS, MOTOROLA, E.F. JOHNSON
Alpha Tagging
Alpha Display
CTCSS/DCS Codes
Control Channel Only Mode
S.A.M.E. Weather Alert - Specific Area Message Encoding - During a NOAA
Weather or Emergency Alert, a code for your specific location will alert you
to severe conditions in your immediate area.
Clone Feature
PC Programming/Control
AM/FM/WFM Modes
12 Service Searches
Record Funtions
1000 Beep Alerts
Selectable Steps
Base/Moble Design
Full Backlit Controls
Full Frequency LCD Display

The BC796D Digital Capable Scanner is APCO 25 Capable with 1000 channels, 10
banks, 10 priority channels and continuous band coverage.
PRODUCT FEATURE LIST
APCO 25 Digital Operation - Including 9600 Baud C4FM & CQPSK*
PC Control/Programming (Software Included)
1000 Channels, 10 Banks, 10 Priority Channels
Continuous Band Coverage - 25MHz to 1.3GHz
Preprogramed Service Searches (12)
TrunkTracker IV - EDACS®, Motorola®, LTR, APCO
CTCSS/DCS Decode
S.A.M.E. Weather Alert - Specific Area Message Encoding - During a NOAA
Weather or Emergency Alert, a code for your specific location will alert you
to severe conditions in your immediate area.
Alpha Tagging
Backlit Keypad - Makes it easy to use in low-light conditions.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Disregarding the digital aspects, maybe not too much difference. One point to consider: When spectrum rebanding takes place, the BC796D is on the list that Uniden expects will be able to be re-flashed & reprogrammed to accomodate the changes. The 785 will not be able to make the same modifications.

mciupa

hiegtx said:
One point to consider:
When spectrum rebanding takes place, the BC796D is on the list that Uniden expects will be able to be re-flashed & reprogrammed to accomodate the changes. The 785 will not be able to make the same modifications.

I would put that feature at the TOP of the BC796D list 8)

fmon

Silent Key Jan. 14, 2012
When new, you could purchase the 785D without the card for about $350 and add the card for another $300. The 785D card is priced at $100 on Unidens page today.

You cannot purchase the 796D without the removable card and I think the price is around $600-650.

For your needs the 785D was nearly half the price and will do every thing the 796D will do with Digital disabled. However, if you scan a Motorola system with frequencies in the rebanding ranges, you will be out of luck with the 785D in the near future.

BTW, there are more used 785D's on the market today (much better bargains) then 796D's.

loumaag

Silent Key - Aug 2014
Another point is that it is unlikely you will find a "new" 785 anywhere. They have been out of production for quite some time.

DSYCUTTER

Premium Subscriber
i just recieved a brand new 785d from an online store. Actually I just recieved it on wednesday july 27th.

If you dont mind the fact of the rebanding U can find a 785 if you look

Steve15

Steve15 (FDNY - Paramedic) South Bx.
Premium Subscriber
IF anyone is looking for the 785 without the digital (P-25 Card) I have 2 of them just recently bought approx. 3 -4 months ago. 9/10 Condition at worst. I will throw in the cables, manuals, and Programmiong software. Even comes with the European outlet which the adapter is included. BOx and just how it was shipped. I am looking to sell either one, both or trade if good enough deal. Make me a offer and we can chat. If you would like to do it in private email me at Paramedic2377@aol.com
Ty and talk to yuou soon.

davidmc36

Premium Subscriber
IF anyone is looking for the 785 without the digital (P-25 Card) I have 2 of them just recently bought approx. 3 -4 months ago. 9/10 Condition at worst. I will throw in the cables, manuals, and Programmiong software. Even comes with the European outlet which the adapter is included. BOx and just how it was shipped. I am looking to sell either one, both or trade if good enough deal. Make me a offer and we can chat. If you would like to do it in private email me at Paramedic2377@aol.com

Wow! Way to revive a thread. :D Since we are on the subject, nobody ever answered one of the questions from the OP. The differences between TT III and TT IV:

III
  • System Types:
    • Motorola Type I
    • Motorola Type II
    • Motorola Type IIi Hybrid
    • Motorola Type II Smartnet
    • Motorola Type II Smartzone
    • Motorola Type II Smartzone Omnilink
    • EDACS Standard (Wide)
    • EDACS Standard Networked
    • EDACS Narrowband (Narrow)
    • EDACS Narrowband Networked
    • EDACS SCAT
    • LTR Standard
  • System Voices:
    • Analog
    • Analog and APCO-25 Common Air Interface (with the optional BCi25 card installed)
IV

• System Types:
    • Motorola Type I
    • Motorola Type II
    • Motorola Type IIi Hybrid
    • Motorola Type II Smartnet
    • Motorola Type II Smartzone
    • Motorola Type II Smartzone Omnilink
    • Motorola Type II VOC
    • EDACS Standard (Wide)
    • EDACS Standard Networked
    • EDACS Narrowband (Narrow)
    • EDACS Narrowband Networked
    • EDACS SCAT
    • LTR Standard
    • Project 25 Standard
  • System Voices:
    • Analog
    • Analog and APCO-25 Common Air Interface
    • APCO-25 Common Air Interface Exclusive

Steve15

Steve15 (FDNY - Paramedic) South Bx.
Premium Subscriber
Mind as well and try and rap this up so we can get a nother quewstion up in here. I wasl ooling for a 785 or 786D for the longest time and as you guys and girls if therer are any in here that they do not make them anyhmore. Aboput 3 - 4 months agop a saw a special on the 780 "THE RETURN" and it sold like hot cakes. My 785 I thought was going to be trunked at least, but negatve. only 1000 conventiaonal channels. So it was around 225 and ias i said befroe gooe to start out with if you are just scanning or set it up as a link on (ye3s it does have alpha tags). SO there you so. IF you wnat to program EDCAS or whatever trunking mode you wnat u can and I have but it just doesnt come in as nice......... OK Thanks fo rlisteneing and I hope io answerend your questions sso who wants one or two. Theyarent gong anywhere so you have some time .

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber

You might want to post this in the For Sale section.

Status
Not open for further replies.