• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

TRI Harris PRC-152 - Genuine Harris Battery and TRI "top" charger?

g8tzl2004

I have acquired a "replica" Triumph TRI Harris PRC-152.

The unit looks new but came with no battery although the box contained 3 "top" battery charger interfaces - 2 with some kind of bar graph display and a USB socket and 1 with no bar graph display. The original box also contained a switch mode power supply and antenna. I think the replica TRI PRC-152 was part of a silent key sale and no doubt the battery is in the bottom of some box and lost forever??

I understand that the replica TRI PRC-152 will work with a genuine Harris PRC-152 battery. New old stock real Harris PRC-152 batteries sell for less than a Chinese copy!!

But does anybody know if its possible to charge a genuine Harris PRC-152 battery using a TRI "top" battery charger interface unit?

I mainly collect Motorola (and Harris) commercial radios and tend to avoid the cheap Chinese stuff. I know the TRI PRC-152 is a "Baofeng" inside...but the aluminium case is very well built...almost like they have used surplus real PRC-152 cases??

Thanks

TDR-94

No They can not be charged with the Chinese charger. The genuine HARRIS batteries interface with the HARRIS chargers using the chip in the batteries.

chanrobi

I have acquired a "replica" Triumph TRI Harris PRC-152.

The unit looks new but came with no battery although the box contained 3 "top" battery charger interfaces - 2 with some kind of bar graph display and a USB socket and 1 with no bar graph display. The original box also contained a switch mode power supply and antenna. I think the replica TRI PRC-152 was part of a silent key sale and no doubt the battery is in the bottom of some box and lost forever??

I understand that the replica TRI PRC-152 will work with a genuine Harris PRC-152 battery. New old stock real Harris PRC-152 batteries sell for less than a Chinese copy!!

But does anybody know if its possible to charge a genuine Harris PRC-152 battery using a TRI "top" battery charger interface unit?

I mainly collect Motorola (and Harris) commercial radios and tend to avoid the cheap Chinese stuff. I know the TRI PRC-152 is a "Baofeng" inside...but the aluminium case is very well built...almost like they have used surplus real PRC-152 cases??

Thanks
There is a report on another forum of using the Tri top charger with a real harris battery and that it works

chanrobi

As well the Tri top chargers are specifically listed as compatible with real harris 152 and thales 148 batteries

TDR-94

The L3HARRIS and THALES batteries use charger contacts at the bottom of the battery. The Chinese batteries don't have bottom contacts and charge from the top connection to the Chinese radio.

TDR-94

I forgot about the military charging adapter units that do charge the "genuine" THALES and L3HARRIS PRC handheld radio batteries from the top connector. They usually attach to the battery separately or attach between the radios and the battery.

prcguy

As well the Tri top chargers are specifically listed as compatible with real harris 152 and thales 148 batteries
The top contacts on both the Thales and Harris batteries have a mostly direct connection to the cells and you can charge from the top contacts. However, you may not be going through the cell balancing and charge cut off circuits and its not the best way to charge the battery.

TDR-94

You would be better off just charging the genuine PRC batteries with their intended chargers than trying to charge them with a 'China-rigged' solution.