Uniden 346XT Inline Decoding to DSD/Unitrunker questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

tateconcepts

K5CDR
Hello RR,

I figured you might be the guys to answer some questions I have about the BCD-346XT/396XT and Unitrunker.

I read these threads and they on partially helped answer my question so I will be doing another in hopes of better answers.
http://forums.radioreference.com/tr...-decoding/232890-unitrunker-uniden-346xt.html
http://forums.radioreference.com/tr...00-determine-digital-signal-type-bc346xt.html
http://forums.radioreference.com/tr...ecoding/139583-unitrunker-bcd396xt-346xt.html

The Unitrunker website at Unitrunker says that both of these models support Inline Decoding without use of a discriminator tap. Additionally, it now says that APCO P25 is supported. I live in an area that is mainly analog MOT2 (Denton County at Little Elm) and my main reason for wanting a scanner was to replace my Grandpa's old Realistic Pro-30 that doesn't work (or work well anymore for obvious reasons). I will want to use the scanner to mainly monitor ham channels to rag chew on but I would like to have some basic EMS/PD dispatch abilities. With almost everyone in nearby Frisco and beyond going to digital, I am building a dual SDR to deal with these from my home but I'd like to use what I have in the meantime.

My question is this - if the BC-15X or BCD-346XT indicate that they have Inline Decoding, is it still possible to pickup (within frequency limits of course) these P25 signals from Frisco and PAWM areas and although the 346XT won't be able to decode them onboard, it should theoretically allow Unitrunker (or DSD) to proceed with decoding the P25 via Inline Decoding (as Unitrunker says no discriminator tap) though it is not a digital scanner correct? I need to ensure this as while I have a 396XT and are building the SDR (as of this new month ahead), I want to buy my Dad a gift to ensure he can get updates from me while still being prepared for Burleson PD and JCSO to go digital P25 in the future. We expect Burleson to do whatever TCSO does with Fort Worth and that's digital on the way. It would be nice to have a BC-15X sitting on his desk, connected inline and then doing the P25 decoding on his PC with Unitrunker if he wants it. Plus he can use the cheap HT hams to talk back with us for emergencies.

Thoughts anyone - will this concept work or no? Inline Decoding is vague so I thought I would see if you could clarify this before I post it for other responses. I will not be going to anything other than Uniden as my family is from Fort Worth for four generations and will continue to be. Thanks again all at RR - you guys are awesome and I am getting more excited about this hobby everyday. Now I know why my Grandpa was hooked on this and hanging out in the radio shack with CW and squelch noise all day long.

BT
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Realistic Pro 30, Yaesu VX-5R, Uniden BCD-396XT, RTL-SDR

As a side note, if I want to program my Yaesu VX-5R to only listen on certain EMS and PD Dispatch DCSO talk groups, why do they come in at times and then drop out to garbled motorboating after an hour or so? Thoughts also on this and which channels to hear the basic dispatch of the control channels?

SCPD

QRT
The 346XT and 15X models understand EDACS, Motorola, and LTR. They don't decode P25 and so would not provide any data over the serial port connection to your computer. You can, however, add a tap to the radio and feed discriminator audio into your computer. You need at least one tapped scanner to feed DSD since even the models that offer inline P25 decoding don't provide voice data, only control data in this manner.

Status
Not open for further replies.