Yaesu: Yaesu FT-60R

Status
Not open for further replies.

avgas

I owned an FT-60 and it was a nice little radio. The only complaint I had was it seemed to be deaf compaired to my Icom IC-91A.

AA4JR

May be referring to the FT-50R? I think it came out in around 2000.

The FT-50R was introduced in the mid 90's. I got mine in the summer of 1996. Thinking about upgrading to the 60 now just because I want a backlit keypad plus the batteries I have for the 50R are about shot.

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
How does one identify a Japanese model versus a Chinese manufactured one?

The label on the rear of the radio under the battery denotes the country of manufacture.

It's also on the bar code label on the side of the box the radio came in.

FWIW, all the newer ones made AFTER the Vertex-Standard "divorce" of Yaesu Musen are Japanese made in the last year or so.

csxcp55

Revival of an old thread:
Yaesu has gone to China to manufacture its ham radios.
Well, I am disappointed. I was seriously considering purchasing either an FT-1900 mobile rig, or another HT - the FT-60r. I know that the two are miles apart in features and operation, but I am weighing the facts about what I really want to do.

So here I am learning that Yaesu radios are now made in China, and that some of the specs aren't up to snuff. I have been reading a lot of posts in eham.net about the FT-1900 and 2900 overheating, and other issues. Now I read that the FT-60r isn't being built as tough either.

On one hand, can I really expect the same old quality for $149 that I did for $429 - what I paid for my Ft-530 back in 1994. But I only paid $155 for my VX-150 in 2002. Now I can get the FT-60r for around the same price - I guess something has to give.

With my disillusionment of current Yaesu product, I am rethinking my options, and may just forget about getting another rig - unless I can locate a used one - made in Japan for a reasonable price.

Frank - KE2KB

k6cpo

Apparently some are made in China while others are from Japan. That's the thing about these radio's anymore, even the one's you think are made in Japan just *might* actually be made in China now. If you got a Japanese-made FT-60 then be glad because I bought one last year that was made in China and I immediately sent it back, took the restocking hit and moved on. I just didn't want to mess around with a radio that was SUPPOSED to be made in Japan to being with. It also kinda angered me because most of the time we here in the USA are more-or-less forced to buy Chinese made products because they're the only one's making certain things anymore. So when I discovered my FT-60 was in fact from China it kind of pissed me off so I sent it back.

The Japanese have a high reputation for making great electronics and I didn't want to forgo that just because the radio *looked* like one that was made there. It's kinda like all those people who buy iPhone's that for some magical reason seem to cost far less. A lot of times people find out their beloved iProduct was actually just a knock-off made somewhere other than where the real-deal was. It might work just fine but when people discover this they sometimes feel like they were tricked and that usually makes them a little angry about it :eek:

I was planning on picking up an FT-60R. Not anymore if it's made in China instead of Japan. There's a certain level of quality for Japanese electronics that is not there in China.

I think refusing to buy a radio just because it was made in China is silly. The Yaesu radios built in China are not counterfeits as RWS seems to imply. They are Yaesu radios built to Yaesu quality standards. These are not Wouxuns or Baofengs. Yaesu wouldn't be selling them if they were built to the same standards.

I have two Yaesu HT's (FT-60 and FT-270,) both built in China, and they have operated flawlessly in the four years I have had them. They are easy to program and quite durable. One, the FT-270, is even waterproof.

Even Motorola manufactures overseas now...

WB4CS

I think refusing to buy a radio just because it was made in China is silly. The Yaesu radios built in China are not counterfeits as RWS seems to imply. They are Yaesu radios built to Yaesu quality standards. These are not Wouxuns or Baofengs. Yaesu wouldn't be selling them if they were built to the same standards.

I have two Yaesu HT's (FT-60 and FT-270,) both built in China, and they have operated flawlessly in the four years I have had them. They are easy to program and quite durable. One, the FT-270, is even waterproof.

Even Motorola manufactures overseas now...

Exactly. iPhones are made in China. So are many (most?) consumer electronics. The big difference is the quality standards. Yaesu (and Apple, Samsung, etc.) set the standards at which a product must be manufactured. Cheap-China-Crap radios like Baofung and Waxon-Waxoff have lower quality standards than, say, Yaesu.

I have owned an FT-60R for a few years now. I've looked, but have already forgotten where it was manufactured. In any case, it's a great radio backed by a company that provides good warranty support.

If you don't want to buy products manufactured in China that's your prerogative, but I imagine you'd own virtually no electronic devices.

'Murica.

w2txb

While I have not owned a Yaesu FT-60R, several nearby friends have them and they are an absolute beast of a radio. No problems, rugged, easy to use and program, and will perform at least as well as any amateur HT on the market. If there is a problem, Yaesu service in CA is excellent, prompt, and priced reasonably.

This certainly beats buying a radio based upon the premise of throwing it away if it fails.

zog1977

Exactly. iPhones are made in China. So are many (most?) consumer electronics. The big difference is the quality standards. Yaesu (and Apple, Samsung, etc.) set the standards at which a product must be manufactured. Cheap-China-Crap radios like Baofung and Waxon-Waxoff have lower quality standards than, say, Yaesu.

I have owned an FT-60R for a few years now. I've looked, but have already forgotten where it was manufactured. In any case, it's a great radio backed by a company that provides good warranty support.

If you don't want to buy products manufactured in China that's your prerogative, but I imagine you'd own virtually no electronic devices.

'Murica.

I have no problem with my baofengs. No reason to call them crap.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Analogrules

Does the FT-60 work well as an analog police scanner too? I am looking to replace my Baofeng with the FT-60 because I want the police scanner function too. Is it true that the FT-60 actually has several memory banks with 1000 channels in total? How many channels per bank? What is the cheapest reputable place to purchase one online?

wa2chj

It will work as a scanner, but scan speed is slower than most scanners which could be an issue. Yes, it has 1000 memory channels and 10 banks. I don't believe there is any limit on number of channels per bank as any channel can be put in any of the 10 banks. I think you could put all 1000 channels in one bank, but that would make little sense.
Most places get around or under $150 for the FT-60R. Some have other incentives as well. I've seen new and used ones on the usual auction sites asking well above the street price at most dealers, so keep that in mind.
The FT-60 is a very good radio, by the way.

FKimble

Picked up a FT60R for my brother-in-law for a Christmas present to replace his old Kenwood. It was "made in Japan". Purchased from HRO Atlanta store for $149.95 if memory serves me correctly. Now the battery had a "made in China" sticker on it.

Analogrules

Thank you very much for the info. I don't mind where it is made considering the Baofeng is made in China also and has been a good radio for me. I just want something that actually scans with more programmable channels. I noticed on hamcity.com, it was selling for $139. Is that a reputable company/site?

N8IAA

Does the FT-60 work well as an analog police scanner too? I am looking to replace my Baofeng with the FT-60 because I want the police scanner function too. Is it true that the FT-60 actually has several memory banks with 1000 channels in total? How many channels per bank? What is the cheapest reputable place to purchase one online?

Just remember, it doesn't have the 7.5MHz steps for some of the newer FMN frequencies. Did use one for most all of my conventional frequencies.
Larry

Analogrules

I have been doing a little more research on this radio and have another quick question. It seems that this radio is described to have the ability to TRANSMIT between 430 - 470 MHz in some descriptions, but only 430-450 in other descriptions. Which one is it?? The product details and product description do not match. See below:

Product Details

Dual Band VHF/UHF 2 Meter & 70cm Amateur Radio.
CTCSS/DCS (PL & DPL), DTMF, AlphaNumeric Display, Lighted Keypad, Scan modes.
Receives 108-520Mhz and 700-999.99Mhz (less cell), Transmits 144-148Mhz & 430-470Mhz, Locking mode prevents accidental changes of frequency.
One Thousand memory Channels, NOAA Weather Alert, Receives Emergency channels in 800-900Mhz, RF Power Output: 5W (High) / 2W (Middle) / 5W (Low)
Includes 1400mA Battery, Charger, antenna & belt clip.

Technical Details

Brand Name: Yaesu
Model: FT-60R
Item Package Quantity: 1

Product Description
Yaesu Dual Band Amateur Ham radio transceiver.
Transmits the Two Meter & 70cm bands (144-148Mhz/430-450Mhz), & receives 108-520Mhz & 700-999Mhz (less cellular).
Features 1,000 Alphanumeric memories, WX alert, PL/dpl, ARTS system, scan modes & more.
Compatible with following Optional available Accessories - MH-37A4B, MH-34B4B, E-DC-5B, EDC-6, CT-44, FBA-25A.

FKimble

If you buy it in the US it transmits on US ham band freqs. If you buy in from some other place, it most likely will not be a US model and will transmit on some other freqs. Check the op manual , it will show you the different models .

N8IAA

It seems that this radio is described to have the ability to TRANSMIT between 430 - 470 MHz in some descriptions, but only 430-450 in other descriptions. Which one is it?? The product details and product description do not match. See below:

Product Description
Yaesu Dual Band Amateur Ham radio transceiver.
Transmits the Two Meter & 70cm bands (144-148Mhz/430-450Mhz), & receives 108-520Mhz & 700-999Mhz (less cellular).
This is correct.

Have had two of these radios, and won't transmit in the 450-470MHz range. There is a commercial UHF that Vertex makes, the VX-354, that does transmit in that range. It will do ham frequencies as well.
HTH,
Larry

Status
Not open for further replies.