Yaesu: Yaesu FT-60R

Status
Not open for further replies.

Analogrules

Ok, so I am understanding that the US versions of this radio can only transmit beteeen 450-470 AFTER being modified in some way....meaning standard radios out of the box strictly only allo you to transmit on 2 meters and 70 cm only.

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
Ok, so I am understanding that the US versions of this radio can only transmit beteeen 450-470 AFTER being modified in some way....meaning standard radios out of the box strictly only allo you to transmit on 2 meters and 70 cm only.

Correct. If you buy the US/North American version, it should only transmit 144-148MHz & 430-450MHz.

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
Does it look like a black triangle pointing to the right? Is it solid or flashing. If solid, that indicates that the current memory channel will be skipped while scanning. If it's flashing, that means the current channel will always be scanned. See pages 4, 37, and 38 in the manual.

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
Correct. If you buy the US/North American version, it should only transmit 144-148MHz & 430-450MHz.

...and because of the power, it will probably only transmit on ham frequencies and not FRS or MURS

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
...and because of the power, it will probably only transmit on ham frequencies and not FRS or MURS
No. It will not transmit outside the hamband, because the radio is locked to only transmit in the ham bands. Power has nothing to do with it. Once modified the radip will transmit from 136-174MHz and from 400-470MHz, mind you power outside the ham bamds will likley drop off very rapidly, while current draw will remain steady.

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
No. It will not transmit outside the hamband, because the radio is locked to only transmit in the ham bands. Power has nothing to do with it. Once modified the radip will transmit from 136-174MHz and from 400-470MHz, mind you power outside the ham bamds will likley drop off very rapidly, while current draw will remain steady.

That's what I said. The power of the radio precludes using it on FRS and MURS and Yaesu has designed it to NOT allow it to transmit on those services.

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
That's what I said. The power of the radio precludes using it on FRS and MURS and Yaesu has designed it to NOT allow it to transmit on those services.
No. The fact that the radio is not type certified precludes it from being used in those services. Power output is only a part of the issue, not the only reason. It is also not accepted for use on LMR as well.

k6cpo

I love the FT60, however it looks like Yaesu is going the "WalMart" route. Current production models (1xxxxx S/N's) are made in China NOT Japan. The quality of the RX audio on a new Chinese made FT-60 is quite a bit less AF output and different tonal sound than a Japanese built radio (7xxxx S/N circa late 2007).

I've noticed this one three newer FT60's, all made in China, versus my older 2007 Japanese radio, and a friends' 2005 vintage well used FT60. The RX audio is louder (about 50 percent), cleaner and better RX sensitivity side by side to the new Chinese production radios.

Had a bad experience with a Chinese made VX150 that was a dud out of the box, went back twice to Cerritos, one of the worst service experiences ever. I guess Yaesu had to do something to drop the price to $159, I guess you mine as well get a Wouxun or TYT if the quality is the same.

I have three Yaesu HTs, an FT-270, and FT-60 and an FT1DR. Of those the 270 and the 60 were made in China while the FT1DR was made in Japan. The FT-270 and FT-60 have great audio out of the internal speaker, while the FT1DR (System Fusion digital) has atrocious audio. The FT1DR is so bad that I have to turn it up to level 25 to hear it. I bought a Heil headset for it and the difference is amazing. When using the headset I have to turn the radio way down or run the risk of deafening myself. Conclusion? Your argument about the China-built Yaesu radios is fallacious...

Another vote for the FT-60R. Not quite as solid as my FT-270, which could double as a brick, but very rugged none the less. Mine gets pretty decent performance with the stock duck. Might grab another as the price on them seems to be falling as of late.

Jay

The FT-270 is also waterproof and immersible. If it were dual-band, I would have never bought the FT-60...

Certainly can't beat the price on the Wouxon, and it too has a good rep so far :)

Nope, and with todays economy, they are a great buy. Will they last as long as a big brand name radio? It is possible, but I can buy all the accessories for it, and get another radio affordable if something happens, and still use the same accessories. Mind you, the new KG-UV6D has a 200 channel memory bank, and the standard SMA connector, not like the others with the connector on the bottom of the antenna.

Many hams will dispute the big name radio vs the cheap chinese radio...but that's another topic. They are basic handheld radios. The big name radios.....like the FT-60, has many features like weather alert and things like that, which I look for Wouxun to pick up soon.

Thing is about the FT-60 though....it works great and is built like a tank and is backed up by Yaesu's warranty.

There is really no comparison in durability between the the Yaesu HTs and the Wouxuns. A railroad museum where I volunteer bought three Wouxuns for use by train crew and they've taken a real hit, mostly from being used by multiple individuals. Some of us have bought our own Wouxuns, myself included, and they've held up well because we treat them differently.

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
Folks, this is a long-running thread. It had been quiet since February until someone asked a question yesterday about their display. Not a problem except that some of you are now responding to messages that were posted over 4 years ago.

k6cpo

Folks, this is a long-running thread. It had been quiet since February until someone asked a question yesterday about their display. Not a problem except that some of you are now responding to messages that were posted over 4 years ago.

It's still good information for someone that might be looking to buy a new HT...

paulears

Indeed - it spurred me to dig my FT-60 out (I used to have it in the van to listen to aircraft band) and programme some transmit stuff into it. The one I have out of the box here in the UK covers all the VHF and UHF commercial bands on transmit - I programmed my business repeater and it works rather well. You have to be careful not to bash the 0 key - as that then stops audio for a second or two after you press the PTT while it sends some data - but it's a rather useful cost effective radio.

emeryseal

Thanks VE3BEE, I have been enjoying it, someone mentioned that they would not buy the FT60R because the FT270 is water proof and that is their choice, but the FT270 does not have the extensive receive bands like the FT60R, which is why I got the FT60. I'm sure both are of excellent quality, it's just a matter of what your preference is. By the way, the FT60R is splash and light rain resistant, so as long as I'm careful, I won't need the proofing that the FT270 has.

k6cpo

Word of caution: If someone is looking to buy an FT-60R, do it soon. From what I have been told by our local HRO, the FT-60R is going to be discontinued in favor of the new "Yaefeng" FT-65R.

The FT-65R, while a Yaesu radio, incorporates a couple of the features made popular by Baofeng; the built-in flashlight and the ability to receive commercial FM broadcasts.

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
If I HAD to limit myself to one HT, it would be the FT60R. Well constructed, easy to program in the field, reliable, great receive coverage, all at a price just above the better Chinese dual banders. AA battery case is realistically priced and standard battery is decent. Best dual band radio since the FT-51R, which I still have.

emeryseal

I figured it would be discontinued soon as the FT60R is 13 years old now. However the FT65R still does not have the extensive receive like the FT60R. I just checked the specs, so the FT60 still wins my bet for what I use it for. Just keep that in mind when you're shopping for a new rig.

Status
Not open for further replies.