Dayton crowd

Status
Not open for further replies.

KB9LIQ

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Have been watching the live online feed at Dayton this year. Where is the crowd? Looks like nobody is there this year or they are in a very bad spot.

KB9LIQ

Banned
From the video I've seen local hamfests allot busyer then what was on the video. Could just be where there were

VA3QRM

crowd will thicken.....

From the video I've seen local hamfests allot busyer then what was on the video. Could just be where there were

I'll be there Saturday.....432 mile round trip for the day. See you there Mancow!

kb8rvp

I have friends heading down Saturday and I am going Sunday so we shall see who busy it is.

Mike

shaft

It was no where near as crowded as it was last year and the vendors in the flea market are down. Id estimate 25-30%. There are a lot of empty spaces out in the lot. There also seems to be a lot more junk than usual. There are a few deals to be had, but most of the folks selling stuff in the flea market want premium prices. For example, a used Pro-96 is selling for $30 more than what Radio Shack is selling them for new inside the arena.

The new 996XT is on display in the Scanner Master booth, its pretty sweet looking.

Last edited:

DieselFF918

I think Saturday should be a little busier, if it doesnt rain too much.

When I go to things like this I wait till Saturday, cause on Friday not everyone is there yet, some are working or some arrive later than expected.

Sunday, some people leave early to get a jump on Monday.

KB9LIQ

Banned
Sat is always busyer rain or shine. It's been a few years since I've gone. Had plans to go this year but too many things fell thru. It's planned now for next year. Hope it's a good year for it!!
Last time I was there allot of flea market seller didn't want to deal too much, all would say I can get more then that on ebay. I would always tell them to leave and sell on ebay then.

gewecke

Banned
It was no where near as crowded as it was last year and the vendors in the flea market are down. Id estimate 25-30%. There are a lot of empty spaces out in the lot. There also seems to be a lot more junk than usual. There are a few deals to be had, but most of the folks selling stuff in the flea market want premium prices. For example, a used Pro-96 is selling for $30 more than what Radio Shack is selling them for new inside the arena.

The new 996XT is on display in the Scanner Master booth, its pretty sweet looking.

What are they asking for the 996xt at dayton? Just curious?

N9JIG

Sheriff
What are they asking for the 996xt at dayton? Just curious?

The 996XT at the ScannerMaster booth is a pre-production model, it is not yet available for sale, it should be late summer or so.

It will likely run for about the same as the current BCD996T, around $500.

We do have the BCD396XT available at the ScannerMaster booth.

steveh552

I forgot this was Dayton weekend until I stopped at the gas station yesterday on my way to work and seen quite a few of the local hams, then I looked at the calender on my Jeep and seen this was the third weekend of the month. I have not been there since 2001 or so, never seem to have the money to spend there so I just stay home. I hate "window" shopping.

DieselFF918

I went to Hamvention yesterday, there were less people there than I thought would be. The fleamarket left a lot to be desired too.

I did come home with a couple of things, a new 2m antenna for my truck, a Uniden BC245XLT scanner, and a handful of red Federal Signal Vector lenses for a friends light bar.

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
The Dayton Hamvention has different appeals for different people. I've attended just about every year since 1989. Long ago, I gave up on the outside vendors. Simply too much to see and too much stuff that didn't interest me. I do go back every year to tour the inside vendors primarily to see what's new on the market. I go on Friday because the crowd is typically a little lighter compared to Saturday.

As for what's new: Icom was displaying the IC-7600, which is the IC-756 replacement, along with two new D-Star radios, IC-80 handheld and IC-880 mobile. Kenwood had nothing new though was making strong hints about a TH-D7 VHF/UHF/APRS handheld replacement (which may include a GPS receiver) and a TS-580 HF replacement...both coming in 2010. Yaesu was showing the FT-250/270 replacements for the FT-150/170 handhelds. Those are the highlights I remember from the major radio manufacturers.

There's always something at Dayton that really stands out. For me, it was the Luso "crank-up" tower. It consisted of five 36-foot sections with a total erected height was around 140 feet. The triangular base was about 6 feet on a side. Suggested retail price? I heard $60,000.

Yes, the Friday crowd did seem a little light compared to past years. The weather was a bit warm and humid on Friday and thay may have kept the crowd outside. The number of inside vendors was down noticably. The wood floor area that I think they call the "ballarena" was about 2/3 of its past size; the east ends of both the East Hall and the North Hall were pretty sparse. Again, I don't do the flea market, but what I could see of the west end of the outside area looked considerably less than last year. On the other hand, I did notice a big line outside the VE testing area.

I made a few small purchases and ordered a Kenwood TM-D710 from AES ($460) which will arrive on Monday.

SCPD

QRT
Hamvention 2009

Welll, I'm pretty much the opposite of W9RXR. I like the flea mearket better than inside. But I usually spend more on the ticket and bus ride, than I do on everything I buy. Bought the usual assortment of connectors, one book, and that was about it. Lots of Moto surplus gear, as usual. I had a good time.

As Dayton continues to get smaller, the "rush" to cover everything is gone. I can slow down and look around a little more, laugh and talk with folks more, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.