External Speaker Jack

Status
Not open for further replies.

Volfirefighter

Feed Provider
I want to use my SDS200 for my feed. Since it lacks a record-out jack, I must use the external speaker jack. Can I split this jack two ways between my Raspberry Pi for the feed and a powered speaker so I can listen as well? I just want to make sure that this will not cause any damage to the scanner by drawing to many ohms from this jack.

eaf1956

Feed Provider
I want to use my SDS200 for my feed. Since it lacks a record-out jack, I must use the external speaker jack. Can I split this jack two ways between my Raspberry Pi for the feed and a powered speaker so I can listen as well? I just want to make sure that this will not cause any damage to the scanner by drawing to many ohms from this jack.
Most people use the LAN connection for feed metadata and audio.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

I just want to make sure that this will not cause any damage to the scanner by drawing to many ohms from this jack.

Yes you can though it will be an impedance mismatch.

There's no such thing a "Drawing too many ohms".

No damage will be done.

eaf1956

Feed Provider
I would love to use the LAN for the feed audio. How do I set this up? Can I feed ID tags as well?
I have no idea on pi I use Proscan on a windows 7 computer and it feeds both metadata and audio through LAN

Ncfirewire

I have no idea on pi I use Proscan on a windows 7 computer and it feeds both metadata and audio through LAN

i am also confused on using the lan for an audio feed? You still need a computer to run proscan and you just plug the lan into the computer and you are done. How can you run a feed just using the sds 200 lan without a computer??

eaf1956

Feed Provider
The LAN connection on the SDS 200 connects to the router not the computer. You can listen to the scanner online by using the VLC player using this format: rtsp://192.168.1.5/au:scanner.au Example ONLY substitute your scanners IP address.

Ncfirewire

The LAN connection on the SDS 200 connects to the router not the computer. You can listen to the scanner online by using the VLC player using this format: rtsp://192.168.1.5/au:scanner.au Example ONLY substitute your scanners IP address.
Okay that makes sense if you want to listen to your scanner over the internet but if you are a feed provider on broadcastify you still need a computer and a software program and then the lan port on the sds won't help with that at all correct?

eaf1956

Feed Provider
Incorrect, The scanner connects to the router with it's own IP. The scanner doesn't need to be near the computer as long as they are on the same network. I can run Proscan on my Computer room computer and feed Metadata and Audio from either of the 2 SDS 200's in the house. One is located on the back of the house, one is in my bedroom and the computer room is kinda what most folks call a living room at the front of the house. No need for audio or RS232 cables. Works great! And one of them is my Evansville Indiana feed. But you do need a computer and software to connect with Broadcastify.

Ncfirewire

Incorrect, The scanner connects to the router with it's own IP. The scanner doesn't need to be near the computer as long as they are on the same network. I can run Proscan on my Computer room computer and feed Metadata and Audio from either of the 2 SDS 200's in the house. One is located on the back of the house, one is in my bedroom and the computer room is kinda what most folks call a living room at the front of the house. No need for audio or RS232 cables. Works great! And one of them is my Evansville Indiana feed.

ok never thought about the scanners being far from a comuputer. My computer is a foot a way from my 2 scanners so there is probably no advantage for my using the sds lan jack over my computer to connect with broadcastify.

eaf1956

Feed Provider
ok never thought about the scanners being far from a comuputer. My computer is a foot a way from my 2 scanners so there is probably no advantage for my using the sds lan jack over my computer to connect with broadcastify.
Other than getting audio out of ext speaker or headphone Jack presents it's own issues. Whereas feeding via LAN is independent of the volume setting. Along with getting metadata over the LAN at the same time.

eaf1956

Feed Provider
For those who say OMG I don't have a LAN cable available! You can use a wireless bridge to serve the same purpose.
d201adbe226c2224b9ee0491066b1b4a.jpg

Volfirefighter

Feed Provider
Thanks for all the input. I can always use the external speaker jack for my Raspberry Pi setup as I have before and connect to my scanner via VLC media player with my computer if I want to listen. Would be nice though if someone would come up with a Raspberry Pi Linux setup that could access audio and Tags via LAN.

ProScan

Software Provider
Premium Subscriber

There is a big advantage using the LAN audio, especially for broadcasting. The LAN audio is crystal clear due to no copper interfacing that can cause AC hum (due to a ground loop), noise pickup, overdriving the sound input device, intermittent jacks & plugs, etc.

eaf1956

Feed Provider
There is a big advantage using the LAN audio, especially for broadcasting. The LAN audio is crystal clear due to no copper interfacing that can cause AC hum (due to a ground loop), noise pickup, overdriving the sound input device, intermittent jacks & plugs, etc.
Not to mention the volume level you listen to the scanner at has no effect on the audio being broadcast.

Ubbe

For those who say OMG I don't have a LAN cable available! You can use a wireless bridge to serve the same purpose.
I have several of those, vap11g, and works perfect to be used with anything but one thing is that they refuse to work with higher wifi channels numbers than 8 so keep your wifi network at a lower channel, if they have the same problem as mine.

/Ubbe

eaf1956

Feed Provider
I have several of those, vap11g, and works perfect to be used with anything but one thing is that they refuse to work with higher wifi channels numbers than 8 so keep your wifi network at a lower channel, if they have the same problem as mine.

/Ubbe
I got a VAP11AC ordered for 5 gig

noaim

Premium Subscriber
d201adbe226c2224b9ee0491066b1b4a.jpg

I bought this same thing only negative side is it has interference with the sound :(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Status
Not open for further replies.