• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

XTL/XTS5000 XTL CPS RS232 Legacy Cables No Longer Used?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RadRom

Hi,

I have 2 x OEM XTL series legacy programming cables. HKN6183A (RS232 to GCAI) and HKN6160B (RS232 to rear accessory).

With newer authorised CPS, my USB OEM HKN6163C cable works just fine, OEM HKN6184C works just fine on the last authorised XTL CPS with FW 8.xx onwards, but the RS232 cables will not and/or are unsupported.

My understanding for currently in-use models is; XTL Depot is the only "recent M software" in the XTL series uses RS232 cables and USB cables cannot work or are unsupported in Depot? I don't have depot software, I don't need it, I'm not authorised to have it, and I am NOT asking for it!! Because if I no longer need or can use my RS232 Motorola OEM cables, I may as well throw them on Ebay or to my HAM club. Haven't used them in years.

I am trying to fix a problem child XTL and to narrow down the root cause and apply a fix - See my other RadioReference forums post ;-).

So, I can't do a head sync using CPS with RS232 cables, unless it is a combo of Depot and RS232? Because this XTL is not recognising any USB cable. Therefore RS232's are useless to me, sell!! :)

Sorry for my dumb Q. It's been while and mind is rusty.

Thankyou in advance.

Tech21

Did you go into CPS and select the com port assigned when under device manager in windows? Depending on the age of the radio, you may require and old 32-bit PC to talk to it. I've come across a few xts/xtl radios that are old enough, you need an outdated PC to talk to them.

Go into Device Manger > COM PORTS > The radio should come up here and tell you what com port your computer assigned.

After that go into CPS and select the assigned com port.

redbeard

OH, PA, WV Regional Admin
Database Admin
The final released version of Astro25 CPS works just fine with OEM serial and USB cables, and the same goes for Depot.

You won't see a radio in your device manager when connected via serial as there is no driver to load in Windows as needed with USB.

RadRom

The final released version of Astro25 CPS works just fine with OEM serial and USB cables, and the same goes for Depot.

You won't see a radio in your device manager when connected via serial as there is no driver to load in Windows as needed with USB.
Thankyou!!

Problem was my USB to serial adapter. All working now :)

Status
Not open for further replies.