Help me choose an Antenna?

Status
Not open for further replies.

WQZY681

I'm new to radio and I'm looking to accomplish 3 things (in order of importance)
1. Get OTA HD TV signals- I'm in Roseville-about 35 miles from the source in Sac
2. Receive 800mhz trucked local emergency services systems on my Uniden 436HP
3. Receive Ham traffic once I get my Ham license.

I don't know a lot about antennas, my question is-is there 1 antenna that can accomplish all these tasks i.e. One of those uhf/vhf channel master antennas.
Is it best that I get a yagi style antenna for my scanner and get a separate antenna for the TV?
I would like to mount these antennas in my attic-although there may be an option for a roof mount, but this would be less desirable. Thanks for your help!

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
Sacramento area TV & Roseville trunked radio

Hi.

> 1. Get OTA HD TV signals- I'm in Roseville-about 35 miles from the source in Sac

The source for most local television is actually Walnut Grove. You can see a good map of what's available to you via antenna here: Station Results

TV antennas are horizontally polarized and typically very directional. I also want to point out that you need an antenna for VHF and UHF which will make it larger than the typical antenna being sold for "digital TV". I bought my antenna 15 years ago from Radio Shack. I bought the largest they sold as I also enjoy TV from "out of market" (such as San Francisco).

> Receive 800mhz trucked local emergency services systems on my Uniden 436HP

It is a trunked system. Not trucked.
It doesn't take much of an antenna to pick up the Roseville system from Roseville. I am using a discone outdoor antenna, but I am picking up stuff from quite a distance. I got my discone from Radio Shack because I could have it in my hands immediately; I don't believe that is presently an option. But there are many makers of these out there. They are Omni-directional; and COULD be used for TV, but typically won't perform well. They are also vertically polarized.

> Receive Ham traffic once I get my Ham license.

You don't need a license to receive. The discone is good for this too, depending on the exact ham band you want to monitor.

WQZY681

Hi Thanks thanks for your response. I meant to say trunked-i don't think my phone liked it.

I will get one antenna dedicated for TV and 1 for Radio.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
I'm new to radio and I'm looking to accomplish 3 things (in order of importance)
1. Get OTA HD TV signals- I'm in Roseville-about 35 miles from the source in Sac
2. Receive 800mhz trucked local emergency services systems on my Uniden 436HP
3. Receive Ham traffic once I get my Ham license.

Dedicated TV antenna will be required if you want to get the most out of your TV. You don't need a lot if you have a clear shot into Sacramento and south. Important part is to get the antenna up in the air and away from surrounding structures. Connect it with RG-6 or RG-6QS cable.

For 800MHz receive, it really depends on how far off the tower is you are trying to hear. A dedicated 800MHz Yagi will often work very well if all the stuff you want to listen to is in the same direction. An 800MHz vertical will work if there are multiple locations you need to hear (different tower sites). A discone can be a good option, as they'll usually cover VHF, UHF, 700MHz, 800MHz and higher. Drawback is that they have zero gain, so they generally are poor performers unless you have strong signals to deal with. Coax cable is important, too. You need to get as much signal as you can down the cable to your radio. Cheap/low grade coax has a lot of loss, and can reduce the received signal so much that your radio will not decode. Higher grade coaxial cable is usually a must unless your radio and antenna are close together.
Considering your location, I would not limit yourself to just 800MHz. With a good multiband antenna, you'll hear a lot of VHF and UHF traffic. Add low band if you want to listen to CHP.

I don't know a lot about antennas, my question is-is there 1 antenna that can accomplish all these tasks i.e. One of those uhf/vhf channel master antennas.

No, you'll need separate antennas for TV and the scanner. While you can make them work, there are a few challenges you'd have to overcome, and personally, I don't think it's worth it. Separate antennas will serve you much better.

Is it best that I get a yagi style antenna for my scanner and get a separate antenna for the TV?

Yes. TV signals are horizontally polarized and so are the TV receiver antennas. The stuff you want to listen to on your scanner will be vertically polarized, and your scanner antenna will need to be also. There are ways to make a TV antenna work as a scanner antenna, however it requires turning them on their side, which would impact the TV receive performance.

I would like to mount these antennas in my attic-although there may be an option for a roof mount, but this would be less desirable. Thanks for your help!

Mounting in the attic can work, however there are some things you need to consider:

Any metal in your roof can block the radio signals. If you have a metal roof, mounting in the attic greatly reduce performance.
Even vapor barrier in the insulation can cause issues, but the insulation is usually below where you'd mount the antenna.

For antennas like these, height is key. The higher the antenna is, the farther it can "see". Since VHF, UHF, 800MHz, etc. are generally "line of sight", your antenna needs to be able to see the source to work well. The higher the antenna is, the farther off the radio horizon is. Lower antennas will not perform as well as one that is higher up.

When you get your amateur radio license, transmitting from an antenna in your attic can cause some interference issues if your transmitting antenna is close enough to phone wiring, power wiring, TV antennas, as well as appliances in your home. Again, getting the antenna outside is best.

Use high quality coaxial cable and pay very close attention to waterproofing outdoor connections.

WQZY681

Dedicated TV antenna will be required if you want to get the most out of your TV. You don't need a lot if you have a clear shot into Sacramento and south. Important part is to get the antenna up in the air and away from surrounding structures. Connect it with RG-6 or RG-6QS cable.

For 800MHz receive, it really depends on how far off the tower is you are trying to hear. A dedicated 800MHz Yagi will often work very well if all the stuff you want to listen to is in the same direction. An 800MHz vertical will work if there are multiple locations you need to hear (different tower sites). A discone can be a good option, as they'll usually cover VHF, UHF, 700MHz, 800MHz and higher. Drawback is that they have zero gain, so they generally are poor performers unless you have strong signals to deal with. Coax cable is important, too. You need to get as much signal as you can down the cable to your radio. Cheap/low grade coax has a lot of loss, and can reduce the received signal so much that your radio will not decode. Higher grade coaxial cable is usually a must unless your radio and antenna are close together.
Considering your location, I would not limit yourself to just 800MHz. With a good multiband antenna, you'll hear a lot of VHF and UHF traffic. Add low band if you want to listen to CHP.

No, you'll need separate antennas for TV and the scanner. While you can make them work, there are a few challenges you'd have to overcome, and personally, I don't think it's worth it. Separate antennas will serve you much better.

Yes. TV signals are horizontally polarized and so are the TV receiver antennas. The stuff you want to listen to on your scanner will be vertically polarized, and your scanner antenna will need to be also. There are ways to make a TV antenna work as a scanner antenna, however it requires turning them on their side, which would impact the TV receive performance.

Mounting in the attic can work, however there are some things you need to consider:

Any metal in your roof can block the radio signals. If you have a metal roof, mounting in the attic greatly reduce performance.
Even vapor barrier in the insulation can cause issues, but the insulation is usually below where you'd mount the antenna.

For antennas like these, height is key. The higher the antenna is, the farther it can "see". Since VHF, UHF, 800MHz, etc. are generally "line of sight", your antenna needs to be able to see the source to work well. The higher the antenna is, the farther off the radio horizon is. Lower antennas will not perform as well as one that is higher up.

When you get your amateur radio license, transmitting from an antenna in your attic can cause some interference issues if your transmitting antenna is close enough to phone wiring, power wiring, TV antennas, as well as appliances in your home. Again, getting the antenna outside is best.

Use high quality coaxial cable and pay very close attention to waterproofing outdoor connections.

Thanks so much for the reply. I live in a 2 story house and have some mobility issues, so I can't get up on the roof. Are there any companies in the area who specialize in installing antennas like this? Can you recommend any specific antennas that would be more on the "low key" side if I decided to go the roof option for better reception? I think my HOA will let me put an antenna up because plenty of my neighbors have satellite dishes, but I don't want to look like NORAD on my roof HAHA

PaulNDaOC

You can't call yourself a Ham and have just one antenna, or a single radio for that matter.. The requirement must be somewhere in the Policy and Procedure manual for Hamsters.

I say that tongue in cheek as a former ham. KE6IDE.

I have the same scanner as you do and am really disappointed in it. I am having trouble just finding a good antenna to go mobile with. My trouble is trying improving CHP reception and receive 800 well too. I guess I need to carry two scanners to be happy.

Good luck, Ham Radio can be a lot of fun, and you'll meet some of the nicest people in the world.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.