12 bit 4 antenna ports $35 delivered ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ka9ucn

I have had no luck with the new SDR in that it will not change antenna ports and remains on
50 to 120 MHZ. It is more sensitive with a better signal to noise ratio on commercial FM than the Hackrf1. I use an N.P.R. station at around 100 miles as reference as it has a rather consistent signal strength and is on the edge of there coverage zone.
I have not used the SDRUNO program enough to make an educated statement as to if the audio can be cleaned up but as of now. The sound quality is noticeably worse than as remembered on a Hackrf1 or a $25 RTLSDR.
I will continue to play with this for now just because hobby funds are limited, It is on the top of the list to be shelved until a few more are out and the bugs are worked out.
Joe

Greencloud07

Have you seen the blue "MSI.SDR panadapters"? I have one of these and it also uses the msi2500 and msi001. The "simple version rsp1" with 5 antenna ports looks to have about the same filtering, but the single antenna version (more expensive) seems to have more filtering and more ics. there is a reddit post that has some more information here
I guess it's also called the bg7yzf sdr.

polkaroo

Missed him again!
Anyone found a way to switch antenna ports? I just received mine and will report the same as everyone else: Antenna port stuck on 50-120MHz. Performance is very good... if you want a glorified FM radio or a sliver of the airband.

danesgs

KA9UCN, when using SDRsharp, you need to run ZADIG I think to have it recognized as a USB device. ZADIG comes with SDR sharp when you run the SDRinstall.bat dos program. Follow the "all devices" drop down at the top of the zadig listing and it should find the device.

ka9ucn

Thank you danesgs for the advice on Zadig.
I have ran my hack-rf with the AIRSPY programing. It worked quite well but when I try to use it with this PCB it does not recognize the board. When I bring up Zadage and select a RSP1 As one of the choices. When attempt to run the device it does not recognized the “Simple Version RSP1"
I am without a SDR at this time other than the one I have been playing with that works on the 30 to 120 MHZ antenna port. Although I have not given up on this PCB I am close.
This has not been a total loss as it has given me some time to work on antennas.
If worst comes to worst I will isolate the five filters from the PCB, attach SMA connectors and just use it for the filters. It might be interesting to isolate the input to the 50 to 120 MHZ input and inject the signals on this pin.

Joe

LZ1MEH

hello,
I do not understand, what is the problem outside 50-120MHz range?
What is happen if the antenna is connected to the 250-1000Mhz port and the 440MHz is set from the SDR software for example?
Is it receive anything?

lwvmobile

DSD-FME
Its been a little while since this thread started and not much in the way up updates, so, anybody pick one of these up able to get it to work for them decently, or at all, in the 700Mhz, 850Mhz, 900Mhz spectrum? I was mostly curious as to how viable it would be as an option to monitor 8 to 10 Mhz and if anybody has been able to get these to work in that area mostly. How well do they work with just a rubber duck type antenna, no filters or pre-amps or anything like that?

Kind of temped to order one just for giggles, but don't know if I want to endure the slow boat shipping from China, I tend to get pretty impatient.

thewraith2008

Pay the extra money and buy one of the real SDRs.
This way you know the money goes back into research and development of the SDR hardware and SDR software.
This will save some future headaches.
If you do have problems, you can deal with someone who can help sort it out.

Cloners don't care if the "SDR" it works and provide no support ever. They never do any research and development, they just thieve existing hardware.

If no real research and development exists, then all we will have left are clones and TV dongles as SDR.
Don't support cloners ever, not even for "giggles"

polkaroo

Missed him again!
FWIW, I gave it an honest try, requested and received a full refund.

lwvmobile

DSD-FME
FWIW, I gave it an honest try, requested and received a full refund.
Well, at least they gave you the refund seemingly without a hitch. Did you have to return the item to get the refund? Or did they just toss their hands up and go 'Well, you got us.' I've had sellers on eBay give me partial and full refunds before for items that didn't work out as intended, or came DOA and they didn't even want the item back.

AM909

Radio/computer geek
Premium Subscriber
So did they acknowledge the problem and say they were fixing it, or will they just keep selling the existing production run until exhausted to unwitting buyers and refund the ones that complain (as I've seen with other cheap stuff)? I imagine a lot of people don't know any better or will just toss them in a drawer to get to them later, etc.

polkaroo

Missed him again!
No, just gave me a refund for the malfunctioning unit. I'm more curious if anyone got an actual working board!

Getting OT, but I think that's pretty much the basis of those cheap-item sites - it's essentially stuff from batches of commercial orders that failed QC. Usually you get a good product but eventually lose the roulette game and get a dud - 10% failure rate for a batch is bad, but 1/10 on AliExpress is a pretty good gamble. Meanwhile at the end of the day, they still profit from otherwise unsellable goods.

lwvmobile

DSD-FME
I just messaged this to polkaroo, but if anybody else has one of these, I ran across an open source library for the MSi chips RSP1 devices called libmirisdr and some other forks of it, I kind of wonder if they are meant to be used with this device instead of the official SDRPlay library.

Support of Mirics MSi001 + MSi2500 SDR devices

Just a snippet from the github regarding the library

Better support of SDRPlay through a "flavour" option in the open function. This indicator can be used throughout the code if necessary. At present it drives the frequency plan that drives the choice between the different receiving paths of the MSi001 depending on frequency.

I was wondering if that was in regard to which antenna port was connected as far as which frequency you want to tune.

Status
Not open for further replies.