149.9375 mHz. NFM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Haley

I am out of my element here, I just heard what was (or sounded like) very fast morse code. It was a repeating pattern. I was standing in my back yard (middle of Iowa), it's about 60 degrees out, and scanning the mil-air bands, and I got at least 10mins. worth of listening to the pattern on freq. of 149.9375 in NFM. I was just using my Uniden 125, and a Diamond RH77 for an antenna. Is it possible I actually heard a satellite? Mike

Haley

Thanks for the information guys! It was my first satellite catch------and I wasn't even trying. I usually lock that section out of my search and just do 225-380 mhz. I only live about 150 miles from Offutt , that's why I search those ranges. I guess I will start unlocking the others though! Thanks Mike

Hooligan

I am out of my element here, I just heard what was (or sounded like) very fast morse code. It was a repeating pattern. I was standing in my back yard (middle of Iowa), it's about 60 degrees out, and scanning the mil-air bands, and I got at least 10mins. worth of listening to the pattern on freq. of 149.9375 in NFM. I was just using my Uniden 125, and a Diamond RH77 for an antenna. Is it possible I actually heard a satellite? Mike

Yep, that's one that's pretty easy to hear, and kind of an annoyance if you had a freq close to 150.0MHz in your radio for an analog MARS or CAP repeater that didn't use an output tone... Good example of Doppler Shift, too.

Do you know what RTTY sounds like? My recollection of hearing the Russian satellite(s) is that they were transmitting something that sounded more like radioteletype than CW.

Back in about 1981 I heard a voice downlink in that spectrum. The American male even stated it was a SATCOM circuit, otherwise, I would have just assumed it was the usual federal/military land-mobile comms heard all over the federal spectrum there in Washington DC.

RFI-EMI-GUY

What Hooligan heard was the NASA experimental ATS-3 geosynchronous satellite which was pretty active with various users including Bahaii members throughout the Pacific, US and Caribbean. I actually recorded some of that traffic. Sometimes it inadvertently repeated mobile radio traffic . I would sometimes hear 5 or 6 tone preamble followed with voice .

The "Morse code" the original poster mentioned are telemetry from various satellites in orbit. They are quite powerful.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

Haley

Yep, that's one that's pretty easy to hear, and kind of an annoyance if you had a freq close to 150.0MHz in your radio for an analog MARS or CAP repeater that didn't use an output tone... Good example of Doppler Shift, too.

Do you know what RTTY sounds like? My recollection of hearing the Russian satellite(s) is that they were transmitting something that sounded more like radioteletype than CW.

Back in about 1981 I heard a voice downlink in that spectrum. The American male even stated it was a SATCOM circuit, otherwise, I would have just assumed it was the usual federal/military land-mobile comms heard all over the federal spectrum there in Washington DC.

Yes! That is for sure the sound it was----radioteletype, that is a perfect example. I do quite a bit of HF utility listening also. I am 50 got started with scanners and SW when I was about 9-10 in the 70's. Things have really changed! Mike

dlwtrunked

Premium Subscriber
I think you meant 149.9375 MHz instead of 149.9375 mHz.

149.9375 mHz = 0.1499375 Hz

:)

The actual transmitted frequency of the Russian navigation satellites he is monitoring is 149.940 (not 149.9375).

Status
Not open for further replies.