163.1000?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CDS-INC

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Does anyone know what this frequency is used for?

163.1000mhz

I hear it from time to time here in White plains and it just sounds like something that would be MURS Chatter,

BigLebowski

Premium Subscriber
163.100 is one of the federal "common" frequencies that all of the agencies have access to, think of it as mutual aid for the feds. At least, that is what I have always been told.

Wilrobnson

Moderately Active Member
What's it used for? Just about anything.

Over the years, I've heard:
-US Marshals setting up a raid
-US Fish and Wildlife doing a capture/kill on a herd of wild Canadian geese
-NPS Snowplows chatting in the Olympic National Park
-REALLY bored FBI agents on a stakeout
-Forest Service fire handcrew members chatting
-DOE special materials convoys chatting
-USGS surveyors...surveying
-GSA building engineers using it when their repeater went kaput
...etc

jimlawrence

Its use is not just limited to the feds. Our state police use it as a general operations/tactical channel along with 168.350. I understand even some local municipalities have both freqs in their radios now.

ecps92

Manytimes the CTCSS or DCS tone might help ID who it is.

It's pretty much a variety of Federal Agencies for Interface.

Does anyone know what this frequency is used for?

163.1000mhz

I hear it from time to time here in White plains and it just sounds like something that would be MURS Chatter,

SCPD

QRT
The NTIA Redbook released earlier this year indicates that 163.100 is supposed to be a repeater output with 168.350 being the input. I will take a few years for all the agencies to program their radios to comply with this direction and/or get the word about the change. Two narrow band frequencies have been designated as replacements and they are 168.6125 and 163.7125. These new frequencies are limited to mobile simplex use only. I'm keeping 163.100 and 168.350 in my scanners for a few years as I would imagine not every federal agency will get up to speed on the change or will ignore the direction for awhile because they just don't want to reprogram their radios.

APX8000

Sarcastic Member
Exsmokey said:
The NTIA Redbook released earlier this year indicates that 163.100 is supposed to be a repeater output with 168.350 being the input.

Where can I get a copy of that NTIA redbook and what exactly does it contain ?

CDS-INC

Banned
Where can I get a copy of that NTIA redbook and what exactly does it contain ?

Google "NTIA redbook " and it will come up as a PDF Adobe file, and save it.
It contains the operations standards for goverment agency use and frequencies

SCPD

QRT
The NTIA Redbook released earlier this year indicates that 163.100 is supposed to be a repeater output with 168.350 being the input. I will take a few years for all the agencies to program their radios to comply with this direction and/or get the word about the change. Two narrow band frequencies have been designated as replacements and they are 168.6125 and 163.7125. These new frequencies are limited to mobile simplex use only. I'm keeping 163.100 and 168.350 in my scanners for a few years as I would imagine not every federal agency will get up to speed on the change or will ignore the direction for awhile because they just don't want to reprogram their radios.

Great info!!, Thanks!!
Paul

kb2vxa

Banned
4.2.1 Allotment of 27575 and 27585 kHz for Short-Distance Low-Power Service

No protection from interference can be assured to any station operating
in this service. Services involving safety of life and property should not employ these frequencies in view
of their unprotected status. All transmissions are to be restricted to official U.S. Government business
that requires the use of radio.
Stations in this service shall utilize FCC type-accepted or type-approved Citizens Radio Band
equipment or the equivalent. The maximum transmitter output power shall be five watts.

Ayup, thassa big ten fer good buddy... YEE-HAAAAaaaaaa! How 'bout it skipland, gotta copy onna Marshall Dillon comin' atcha inna Federal Express motor carriage? (beep boop buzz blurp woop woop anna rama lama ding dong)

Status
Not open for further replies.