169.8875 Unid

dlwtrunked

Premium Subscriber
Where are you seeing that? WNNT40 ?
Some (not all) WACN.SYS_ID follow a standard scheme to correspond to English or a callsign. Although I can do it by hand, there is an on lone calculator.

dave3825

Premium Subscriber
Ok, but where did you see WNNT40? That signal will not decode at all and any data on the screen in my vid was from the system I was scanning before 169.8875.

dlwtrunked

Premium Subscriber
Ok, but you did not tell the video was an image of a different system. So it was for that other system (if you put its WACN and Sys_ID into the calculator).

dlwtrunked

Premium Subscriber
Probably the area wide FED/non-FED system Note the WACN decodes as WNNT40 which is likely the first part of an FCC callsign.
Ignore my post as later posts state the WACN and Sys_ID in the video image do not correspond to the system being discussed.

dave3825

Premium Subscriber
Not an image of another system. What's shown in FMP24 is the signal that won't decode, Sounds slightly different that a P25 and none of the windows populating with data.

dlwtrunked

Premium Subscriber
I am confused...Is the screen capture (an image) in the post (dated 2:55 AM yesterday (Wed.) shows a WACN of 91FE8 a different system (from the 169 MHz one) or not? It is that WACN, 91FE8, and system ID, 26E, that I converted using the calculator. (The image/video was in replay to my "Putting an audio recording here or on reddit r/signalidentification might even be better.")

dave3825

Premium Subscriber
I was listening to 91FE8 system ID, 26E, and saw about posting a clip of the signal that won't decode so people could see the signal and hear it. I posted the video at 9 55 pm last night and was sleeping at 2:55 AM.

In any event, the signal thats in FMP24 will not decode. I have tried any and everything. Won't decode or populate with any data.

1687491896221.png

@Marcy57 is East of me in Brookhaven and gets this pretty strong. I might take a ride to BNL (Brookhaven National Lab) and see if its originating from there. Also possible it's coming from across Long Island Sound in CT.

Last edited:

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
I am confused...Is the screen capture (an image) in the post (dated 2:55 AM yesterday (Wed.) shows a WACN of 91FE8 a different system (from the 169 MHz one) or not? It is that WACN, 91FE8, and system ID, 26E, that I converted using the calculator. (The image/video was in replay to my "Putting an audio recording here or on reddit r/signalidentification might even be better.")
91FE8-26E is a well established and identified system, and since it's been listed in the RRDB for quite some time, not the subject of the mystery.

dlwtrunked

Premium Subscriber
91FE8-26E is a well established and identified system, and since it's been listed in the RRDB for quite some time, not the subject of the mystery.
Understood, but some may want to note the WACN calculator. And I am puzzled why it appeared on the video in the thread.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
And I am puzzled why it appeared on the video in the thread.
Dave already explained why. He was decoding 26E, then switched over to this mystery frequency that is unable to be decoded. You're making too much of nothing.

dave3825

Premium Subscriber
I avoid any further confusion, here is a new video if 169.8875, not decoding, along with a raw audio sample for anyone to play with,

Attachments

• 1R-DSDPlus-Raw-Input_169.8875.wav.zip
    1.9 MB · Views: 2

dlwtrunked

Premium Subscriber
Dave already explained why. He was decoding 26E, then switched over to this mystery frequency that is unable to be decoded. You're making too much of nothing.
He explained that (31 minutes) after my post, not before, and I understood. I will take a look at his raw file--if I can get down to the bit level, I have hand-decoded P25 control channels. I have seen P25 trunked systems send data that would not decoded for long periods of time (months) here in Virginia. I have never understood why the do that. In my Virginia case, other sites in that same system were behaving normally. In all cases that I have seen, these were in Federal bands.

dave3825

Premium Subscriber
Looks like the signal is coming from Brookhaven National Lab. @Marcy57 was over there today with a scanner with antenna removed and was getting a strong signal.

Maybe a P25 system or maybe something else.

dave3825

Premium Subscriber
Not sure the BNL dude is holding, but I really want one of those.

1687659924888.png
Brookhaven’s spectrum manager in front of the spectrum monitoring station at the primary communications site.

ecps92

Looks like the signal is coming from Brookhaven National Lab. @Marcy57 was over there today with a scanner with antenna removed and was getting a strong signal.

Maybe a P25 system or maybe something else.

nice sleuthing !