2003 Chevy Suburban CB Install

Status
Not open for further replies.

cdesigns

I have a Magnum 257, seems to work but I haven't made contact yet, I can hear myself loud and clear on AM but no one can hear me :( . I do hear a lot of people from around the world, Puerto Rico ch9 and Venezuela, Mexico in other channels.

jhooten

Where did you pick up the power and ground?

Take the power to the the stud in the red box near the Alternator and the ground to an alternator bracket bolt.

Next time take down one of the dome lights and drill above it then fish the cable across to save the time of removing the headliner.

Last edited:

62Truck

Ordinary Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Nice install, Nice to see it wasn't just thrown in. With the ignition noise its a pain on HF. I know when my step father was installing his FT100D he ended up doing a lot of grounding. Now do you get the ignition noise on RX or when TX or both?

When I used to work for a radio shop we had issues with M1225's in school busses, we would install a kenwood KLF-2 filter.

Nice install, Nice to see it wasn't just thrown in. With the ignition noise its a pain on HF. I know when my step father was installing his FT100D he ended up doing a lot of grounding. Now do you get the ignition noise on RX or when TX or both?

When I used to work for a radio shop we had issues with M1225's in school busses, we would install a kenwood KLF-2 filter.

We found that the noise isn't the ignition, it's being caused by the alternator and it's only on RX.

parkerbs

Premium Subscriber
Ground the radio closest to the radio it`s self not to the battery that will take care of the alternator whine.

Sent from my LGL86C using Tapatalk

nonperson

Ground the radio closest to the radio it`s self not to the battery that will take care of the alternator whine.

I got little less noise in my radio, in my previous vehicle, when I ran every thing to the battery. I replaced the battery, in that vehicle, with one that had top and side mounted posts. I tried connecting all my radio stuff to the side posts and the vehicles connections on the top posts and got a LOT less noise in the radio even with the squelch all the way down. Still had a little but it was barely noticeable.

Couldn't find anything on the net advising against it. I have found TSBs and other sources advising not to connect ground wire, to two way radio(s), to the chassis but to go directly to the battery and fuse both leads.

FWIW.

parkerbs

Premium Subscriber
The chassis of your vehicle is connected to the battery. If you know the answer why ask the question. I have had countless radio setups and having the shortest ground is always advised on anything you install in a vehicle.

parkerbs

Premium Subscriber
I just want to clarify. When i say ground closest to the radio i mean to the chassis of the vehicle not the radio itself. Running to the battery woth your ground can and most likely will result in alternator whine. Sorry if i was unclear.

Status
Not open for further replies.