2005 Ford Superduty, simple but clean mobile setup

Status
Not open for further replies.

mh34444

This is my first time posting pictures so bare with me.

2005 Ford F350 Superduty.
BC780XLT scanner, cheapy Cobra CB.
Roof magmounted Maxrad all-band scanner antenna.
Roof magmounted Radioshack all-band scanner antenna.
Homemade box (plywood and 2x2's).

Power supply - 10 gauge wire (fused at 10amps) to an 8amp toggle on/off switch to a Saratoga powerpanel 6 (fused at 5 amps) mounted inside the box. Power supply set up for a rechargable streamlight flashlight, 3 12volt power points (mounted on passenger side of the box), scanner and cb. I have yet to blow the 5 amp fuse on the saratoga but I rarely run all 4 sources at one time.

Maxrad antenna is connected to the BC780XLT, the Radioshack antenna coax runs to the box but isn't currently hooked up. Future plans to pedistal mount my PRO-2051 for the signal stalker. The Maxrad is a little difficult to see in the pictures but it is directly in front of the RadioShack (which sticks out like a sore thumb).

PanaVise UniFlex 10" pedistal. Mounts a DVD LCD monitor (not currently mounted).

RadioShack speaker mounted behind the A-pillar gauges (great sound quality for such a small speaker!).

I studied numerous mounting setups and this worked the best for me, just be advised that I'm a novice at this, don't take my wiring suggestions like they are golden.

Attachments

• IMG_0036A.JPG
    IMG_0036A.JPG
    77.1 KB · Views: 5,609
  • IMG_0037A.JPG
    IMG_0037A.JPG
    79 KB · Views: 4,236
  • IMG_0039A.JPG
    IMG_0039A.JPG
    66.6 KB · Views: 4,315
  • IMG_0041A.JPG
    IMG_0041A.JPG
    109.4 KB · Views: 3,981
  • IMG_0043A.JPG
    IMG_0043A.JPG
    117.3 KB · Views: 5,645

Colin9690

Delaware County, OH
Premium Subscriber
Wow nice clean setup. Kick ass truck too, are those aftermarket guages to the right of the steering wheel, or is that standard equipment?

mh34444

Yep, gauges are aftermarket. Pyrometer monitors exhaust gas temperatures feeding into the turbo, too hot for too long and you'll melt the turbo (you diesel techs out there already know this, but there are precautions built into the turbo to actually prevent that from happening, but it's a good indicator as to when to let up on the lead foot a little). Transmission temp gauge gives me the true temperature of the transmission (Ford factory gauges work on a switch, 0 at cold, jumps to midway at normal operating temperature, then to "you're going to need a tow truck" without any warning (never gotta that hot before though). Opted for a voltmeter since only the manual transmission Superduty's come with them, and I'll occasionally use juice from the truck batteries as backup when the travel trailer batteries get low.

Last edited:

tonsoffun

Senior Moderator
Premium Subscriber
That install is sick!. The material you used is beautiful man, matches the truck interior perfectly. Where did you get? . Great install.
Take care

mh34444

tonsoffun said:
That install is sick!. The material you used is beautiful man, matches the truck interior perfectly. Where did you get? . Great install.
Take care

Geez. I was afraid of this question.

Story.

So there I was, sitting in my truck outside the Jo-Ann Fabric's store. All kind's of women coming and going. Thinking to myself "come on, one of these women had to have brought her husband along," I can't be the only guy inside this store! So I finally built up the nerve and walked inside. All eyes were on me (well maybe not, but it sure felt like it). I asked the 70 year old lady in the apron where the heavier backed fabric was. She pointed me to the corner, past the yarn, past the needles, past the craft stuff. More fabric than anyone could ever use in there entire lives. I lucked out and grabbed what looked to be the closest match, turned out to be perfect! I made my way to the cash register, cost me about $7 I think. I almost broke down in tears when I peeled the 25% off coupon out of my wallet.

oregontreehugger said:
Nice, simple setup and nice truck, even if it is a Ford! :twisted:

The lengths I go for my Ford truck. I'm sure those Chevy and Dodge guys like to spend time with their trucks too, but it's gotta be tough when they are always in the shop! Hahaha

mh34444

slvbeard said:
How'd you do the antenna on the front? Trunk mount?

I don't know what the official name is, but it's one of the most common brackets I've seen on pickups. Mounts between the hood and the fender (or is that spot called the cowl?). It's a simple Z shaped bracket (but with the middle part running straight up and down, also has a slight angle so that it adhere's to the sloped superduty front end. It was what the guy at the CB shop told me I wanted, he was right.

okccsi

I am curious as to why you chose to center them to the left. Do you have plans for other items to go in the box? Or am I seeing things wrong? Otherwise to me, that it a very well put together setup. good match and effecient.

OKC CSI

mh34444

okccsi said:
I am curious as to why you chose to center them to the left. Do you have plans for other items to go in the box? Or am I seeing things wrong? Otherwise to me, that it a very well put together setup. good match and effecient.

I mounted everything to the left because of where the cupholders are located. The cupholders come out directly above the scanners keypad but clear the CB completely (if I were really smart, I would have swapped the slots and put the scanner on the bottom, but it all worked out well since the cupholders make a good shade for the screen on the scanner, even with total sunlight coming in through the passenger side window, I can still read the screen.

JnglMassiv said:
It's nice and clean but isn't the console a little large? Expansion room for more radios, I suppose.

It is a bit large, but I have enough cab space and never have a 5th passenger that needs that seat. I doubt I'll add more radio's, but I may place a small speaker in the open space to the right of the CB, and when the PanaVise pedistal is attached the added weight and stability of the large box keep everything steady.

cschmit

Beautiful install!! And as for having to go into Jo-Ann's fabric, been there, done that. The first time I was like you and then the next 2 times I went I could have cared less what anyone thought. LOL.

kg4ekc

Very nice setup. I have an F250 with a Stick so I could not do that. I had to use a pedistal to hold my 6 meter and UHF Control heads. I am going to move my control head cables so will post pictures when I get done. Too many wires showing yet.

n7lxi

Premium Subscriber
Curious why you didn't buy a jotto desk or havis console? It sems like it would have been easier. A little more "plug and play"... without the Jo-Ann Fabric experience. ;)

mh34444

n7lxi said:
Curious why you didn't buy a jotto desk or havis console? It sems like it would have been easier. A little more "plug and play"... without the Jo-Ann Fabric experience. ;)

Easy! $200-$300

jgluvva

I have an 02 F150 and have been trying to do something like that for awhile. How did you mount the radios within the console so they do not fall through? do you have a set of plans, or measurements you could send me.

Status
Not open for further replies.