2012 Hill AFB Air Show - Warriors Over the Wasatch

Status
Not open for further replies.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Problem is, and I'm probably not alone, is that I do not know the first thing
about putting something on the wiki.

When our yahoo group was really active, all we had to do was upload a file to
our discussion group site. We used text, MS Word, and Excel.

I know, we have a world-wide audience, and everyone doesn't have Windows, so the info must be readable by all.

The wiki - both here and over on Utahradio - is readable by everyone, regardless of the browser. On most sites, reading is unrestricted - the only time registration is required is when you want to edit something.

At the bottom of both our wiki and yours, I see help portals to get you started. Learning the MediaWiki dialect (as it is more properly known - there are numerous variations) is no harder than learning how to use HTML - although I will allow that my job (programming) and the fact that I help maintain some web pages gave me something of an edge.

Mike

ryanisflyboy

Premium Subscriber
Problem is, and I'm probably not alone, is that I do not know the first thing
about putting something on the wiki.

No worries at all. That's why bbrasmussen and I are here (and the other contributors to the wiki site). We can get you going. I sent loads of e-mails to Brent before he passed giving him step-by-step instructions. We even had a phone call where I went over everything and explained it. Once he got it, he really got it. He did the Win500 articles and more all by himself with only a little help. Just a couple weeks before he passed he was editing the wiki. Now his articles have expanded even more with the work of Steve.

My point is that we've got lots of folks here who are willing to walk you through it step by step. I'll be here 100% for anyone that needs or wants to use the wiki. If, even after some effort, it still isn't working out for you I will be glad to maintain anything you'd like. Just send me the information and I can figure out how to best share it easily. I won't put anything in to the wiki from the forums without specific authorization from the author. Just ask, send me a PM, I can send you my contact details. Let's get off to the races.

pmstewart

Premium Subscriber
I was at the Ogden City Council meeting on Tuesday this week where a Lt. Co from Hill was there promoting this and explaining how much of a financial contribution they've received from the city and county to put on this show.

They expect to see 50,000 spectators this year and expect traffic coming in to not be a problem but it could take a couple of hours to get off once the show is over -

They are also touting many "vintage" aircraft this year to make up for the loss of other groups and aircraft.

I won't be in town that weekend or I would have offered to collaborate with many of you to obtain good info since I would watch from outside the base......LOL

Paul

Observer1

I was at the Ogden City Council meeting on Tuesday this week where a Lt. Co from Hill was there promoting this and explaining how much of a financial contribution they've received from the city and county to put on this show.

They expect to see 50,000 spectators this year and expect traffic coming in to not be a problem but it could take a couple of hours to get off once the show is over -

They are also touting many "vintage" aircraft this year to make up for the loss of other groups and aircraft.

I won't be in town that weekend or I would have offered to collaborate with many of you to obtain good info since I would watch from outside the base......LOL

Paul

Given the history I think you meant 500,000. The event has drawn 400,000 in past years

N7YUO

Air Show Full Flying Rehearsal

Friday, 25 May 12, will be a full flying rehearsal for the Air Show.
Parking lots north of Wardleigh and east of C Ave (bldg. 5, 205, 214) will be reserved for Air Show staff and first responders.
In previous years it was customary for off-duty personnel to enjoy the rehearsal from flight line vantage points to include rooftops.
This year, rehearsal spectators within the fenced controlled area are limited to special guests and Air Show staff. FAA requirements, safety, and limited staffing during the rehearsal drive this restriction.

Personnel on-duty during the rehearsal will be at their work station and remain indoors except when their normal duties require them to be outside (e.g. transit between bldgs.).

The track across from Hess Fitness Center is an authorized viewing location for off-duty personnel. Access to other prime viewing locations, such as the rooftops on facilities west of the flight-line, are at the discretion of the Group Commander/Director.

Blackbat242

Accidents happen, pray for the best, plan for the worst.

Awesome Thunderbird aircraft crash and Ejection - YouTube

http://www.ejectionsite.com/thunderbird6.htm

The second death occurred May 9, 1981 at Hill AFB, Utah, when Captain David "Nick" Hauck flying Thunderbird 6 crashed while attempting to execute a slow speed maneuver. The high density altitude and subtly rising terrain coupled with Capt Hauck's slow speed put him in a dangerous flight envelope. He hit the ground before realizing his precarious situation. The aircraft hit a large oak tree and a barn, then slid across a field and flipped as it traversed an irrigation canal, ultimately erupting into a fireball just a few hundred feet from the runway's end. No one on the ground was injured even though the wreck occurred adjacent to a roadway packed with onlookers.

Unfortunately, like so much of wikipedia, this entry contains false and misleading information.

This is very clear to me as I had been at the airshow where that incident occurred (a year after I graduated high school, and less than a month before I reported to USMC boot camp)!

I followed the subsequent media reports and USAF information releases closely.

The USAF released a transcript of the conversation between him and the tower & flight lead, discussing his loss of engine power and that he didn't feel he could clear the cars on the road across the end of the runway just outside the base fence, so he was going to try a belly landing short of the runway.

This matched hundreds of eye-witness accounts of the aircraft being fully under control as he set it down in a field between a sub-division and the rise in the ground below the road at the south end of the runway... only to catch a wingtip on an obstruction, causing the aircraft to roll and catch fire.

Here is what actually happened (from a PDF of the Spring 2002 issue of ThunderRolls, The USAF Thunderbirds Alumni Association Newsletter. Vol 2, p. 3; Janett, Jim:
May 9 – (Hill Air Force Base, Utah) – A U.S. Air Force Thunderbirds Northrop T-38 Talon crashed while performing the Hi-Lo Maneuver, killing pilot Captain David "Nick" Hauck. Capt. Hauk, in Thunderbird 6, crashed while attempting to land his ailing T-38 after an engine malfunctioned and caught fire. With black smoke billowing from the exhaust and the aircraft losing altitude in a high nose-up attitude, the safety officer on the ground radioed Capt Hauck: "You’re on fire, punch out", to which he responded: “Hang on... we have a bunch of people down there”. The aircraft continued to fight to stay airborne for about ½ a mile before hitting a large oak tree and a barn, then sliding across a field and flipping as it traversed an irrigation canal ultimately erupting into a fireball just a few hundred feet from the runway's end. No one on the ground was injured even though the accident occurred adjacent to a roadway packed with onlookers.

Status
Not open for further replies.