2020 MOSWIN Sites/Talkgroups

Status
Not open for further replies.

daddyjohn

I saw a post from DPS that Branson PD was going to switch to MOSWIN, but that was in June. Maybe they had set backs.
Branson PD did have their mobile radios programmed for MOSWIN last summer in anticipation of switching to MOSWIN. There could be many factors as to why they haven't made the switch, namely Covid could have adversely affected their budget. In reading the agreement between MOSWIN and Springfield/Green County/City Utilities, which can be easily found online, it specifically says that this new Zone 4 could grow and interconnect with other southwest Missouri areas such as Branson and Joplin. I am hoping that once Zone 4 is officially set up and running that we will see Branson PD join. I know that for the past several months, Jasper County Sheriff's Department has also been testing the MOSWIN system. MOSWIN also added 2 new sites recently, a site near Golden City and a site in Newton County north of Seneca so who knows, maybe Seneca PD might join once Zone 4 is up and running. There is a lot of potential agencies that could be joining so it will be interesting to watch for sure.

scannerowner

Very interesting. It should tie in some how, you would think. Do you know if Branson has tri band radios then (APX 8000s)? Facebook posts show APX handhelds. I'm sure we'll see more agencies join in time across the state as they can get funding.

I question why they added a 700 site in Springfield when they're going to do the 800 as zone 4. I'm guessing Springfield will primarily use Zone 4, and other agencies will use surrounding sites until the site controller kicks them to Zone 4, if they can do that.

daddyjohn

I am not sure what radios Branson is using.
There is a difference between using a site (700 vs 800) and being a member of Zone 4. I would guess that MSHP and other state agencies will continue to use the 700 site and all other non-state agencies in Southwest Missouri will be migrating to the Zone 4 but that is just a guess. City Utilities will continue to own the 800 trunked radio system and MOSWIN will be in charge of the administration of it. After reading the agreement some more, this transition for Green County/City Utilities/ Springfield is not expected to cost them any additional expenses as they were all ready planning on doing radio and equipment upgrades. I do not know for sure but I am thinking that only City Utilities/Green County/Springfield will be using the 800 site. I have not read anything to indicate anything else. As other agencies come on board, they will either bring their own frequencies into MOSWIN or use already existing MOSWIN sites. Every agreement is different.

kruser

Premium Subscriber
Yeah that's my guess too to keep voice traffic minimal for each site.
They don't let the MODOT guys on Moswin here. Probably because they would easily occupy every channel available on the VHF sites and most likely any 700 MHz sites in range.
MODOT here has a hard enough time talking truck to truck because they desense each other when they try to talk truck to truck during gang plowing! The first snow days here are usually chaos! And when they gang plow and try going through the repeater, it's no better. desense all the way. Dispatch can reach them when they all shut up. It's a shame really as they have a far reaching repeater system when they let it work.
I hear the same dilemma with the other MODOT districts within my range but nothing on the scale that's heard in the St Louis district over the past several years. I equate it to CB channel 19 in its heydays, pure chaos. When the lead gang plow truck can't talk to the truck directly behind him is a huge problem for getting our highways cleared.
And this is in Troop C land on I-64 right in front of the old Troop C headquarters!
MODOT was dispatched out of Kirkwood, MO which was central to the Troop C area years ago. Not sure what happened to that.
Now they are dispatched from 141 and near I-64. It does not seem as efficient Maybe something to do with their Gateway Guide highway camera program that seems to have taken priority over everything else. That's just my feeling but it seems to be true.
The Gateway Guide building house hundreds of street level cameras in which any single camera can be brought up on the center video wall in full screen for all to see.
Good, Bad, I don't know but it surveillance at it's best.
You be the judge if you are a subject in sny of those images.

Last edited:

436isthe1

Whistler ws1080/Uniden 436hp/GD-77and Cobra 29 ltd
I have noticed RR has updated Moswin. Now there is a Springfield 800 freqs , is this going to be for highway patrol or Springfield/Greene county? If it is for city and county is the talk groups coming?

b1tr41d

I have noticed RR has updated Moswin. Now there is a Springfield 800 freqs , is this going to be for highway patrol or Springfield/Greene county? If it is for city and county is the talk groups coming?
I think this is the big question. Which I don't think anyone knows at this point.
I would speculate that Springfield/Greene county public safety would be on the 800 system while MHP would be on the 700/VHF system.
Yes, they are both tied together under the umbrella of MOSWIN.
I would also speculate that CU/PW's would stay on the current 3600 Motorola system. At least that's my interpretation of the meeting notes that was posted in another thread.
We may just have to wait and see how things land once its all said and done. (As much as we don't want to wait.;))

436isthe1

I think this is the big question. Which I don't think anyone knows at this point.
I would speculate that Springfield/Greene county public safety would be on the 800 system while MHP would be on the 700/VHF system.
I would also speculate that CU/PW's would stay on the current 3600 Motorola system. At least that's my interpretation of the meeting notes that was posted in another thread.
We may just have to wait and see how things land once its all said and done. (As much as we don't want to wait.;))
I know they have been wanting to upgrade there system. Taney county is on Moswin, also there are rumors Branson Pd is going to Moswin too. I know last week when I was in Springfield the Springfiled 800 was transmitting data but I had no voice transmissions.

Last edited:

daddyjohn

Looks like the whole Motorola system will be upgraded to P25 standards. Also this articles mentions that this upgraded system will become MOSWIN Zone 4 and they will be sharing their radio system with other members from other zones.

b1tr41d

436isthe1

436isthe1

Since this is a brand new system, nobody will have a list of talkgroups as none are existing yet. The talkgroups will be discovered through observation as users are switched over to the new system.
Are we expecting Encryption?

Cameron314

No, everything will have to move, there won't be a Smartzone system left.

Papagei

The Gateway Guide building house hundreds of street level cameras in which any single camera can be brought up on the center video wall in full screen for all to see.
Good, Bad, I don't know but it surveillance at it's best.
You be the judge if you are a subject in sny of those images.
KC Scout is the equivalent entity in the Kansas City area. The next time I get a flat tire on the Interstate, I'll look to see if I'm near a camera. If I am, I'll give it a couple of minutes for the operator to notice and zoom in, then I'll moon the camera, and report. :D

DonJuanIII

Premium Subscriber
Anybody know what talkgroups 23087 and 23085 are? I thought I heard some reference to 23085 as Sadalia but not sure....
Late reply...but I heard those same two TGs on the Windsor 700 site today - sounded like they were making aviation references with chatter about "safe flight" and "being off Whiteman and enroute Springfield". Probably unpublished MOCAP )Missouri Civil Air Patrol) TGs...

Status
Not open for further replies.