2023 IndyCar Thread

KC9NEG

They are worth it because your radio can then ignore anything WITHOUT that tone. So if there are other transmissions on or near those channels from nearby sources, they will be ignored.

NOT programming it won't prevent you from hearing your driver though!
Thanks... I know the purpose of tones, but didn't know how much of a potential problem interference can be out at the Speedway.

My dad used to race out there (21 indy 500's) and way back in the day, I promoted a Regency desktop 4-channel (IIRC) scanner to monitor him and Race Control from our scoring stand. Those were the days!

KC9NEG

Attached are my draft files for this weekend.

CTCSS/DCS tones are not publicly published. Some teams change tones every year.

If you have the wrong tone programmed, you will not hear the team/driver and will hear nothing.
Think of them as a filter that the human ear cannot hear. If the scanner hears radio transmissions with the code, then the squelch opens and you hear chatter. Any other transmissions are filtered out and you hear silence.

Programming the DCS/CTCSS tones in your RE3000 allows you to turn squelch to maximum sensitivity and use a larger antenna.
Thanks for your work on this, it's VERY much appreciated!

chocolate_nault

Premium Subscriber
Big thank you for members here and on Track Forum to help confirm tones earlier than ever in my experience.

Attached are scanner files for the Indy 500 for:
Uniden SC230 (for Butel ArcSport software)
Uniden BC125AT
Uniden BC75XLT

Please don't sell these lists. For all the effort that goes into it as a hobby, I hope to help people save money for a case of beer rather than buy an out of date scanner frequency sheet for $20.

Attachments

• 2023_INDY_500.zip
    1.2 MB · Views: 47

Bottlecapr

Big thank you for members here and on Track Forum to help confirm tones earlier than ever in my experience.

Attached are scanner files for the Indy 500 for:
Uniden SC230 (for Butel ArcSport software)
Uniden BC125AT
Uniden BC75XLT

Please don't sell these lists. For all the effort that goes into it as a hobby, I hope to help people save money for a case of beer rather than buy an out of date scanner frequency sheet for $20.
Will this file work on my Uniden SDS100?

TheMann00

For those with the Uniden BC125AT or Uniden BC75XLT, attached are the scanner files for PC programming for Practice and Qualifying.
Hey Chocolate_Nault- I had feedback that Veekay's Tone is 466, not 446. Thought I'd pass that along to you as well! (Looks like you have it correct in your spreadsheet, and wrong on the bearcat ss file.)

TheMann00

Thanks... I know the purpose of tones, but didn't know how much of a potential problem interference can be out at the Speedway.

My dad used to race out there (21 indy 500's) and way back in the day, I promoted a Regency desktop 4-channel (IIRC) scanner to monitor him and Race Control from our scoring stand. Those were the days!
I don't think I've used the tones very much in the past- but saw some work being done there- and figured it's good to include it if it's known!

chocolate_nault

Premium Subscriber
Will this file work on my Uniden SDS100?
These files will not work with the Uniden SDS100.
The Butel file is for ArcSport230 in Race Mode which is not compatible with ARC536.
The Uniden files are specific to their race scanners and are not directly compatible with Uniden Sentinel software.

chocolate_nault

Premium Subscriber
Hey Chocolate_Nault- I had feedback that Veekay's Tone is 466, not 446. Thought I'd pass that along to you as well! (Looks like you have it correct in your spreadsheet, and wrong on the bearcat ss file.)
You're correct, this was my mistake that only affects the BC125AT file and the Excel spreadsheet. The Uniden software does not allow for direct copy/paste of DCS values like the Butel software.

4 frequencies for NBC were based on this past weekend. 450.675 is included because it was the primary channel last year.

461.4250 which was previously listed as Safety 2 is confirmed to be digital transmission.

Attached is the updated list to cover the 2023 Indy 500 and files for only the Uniden BC75XLT, BC125AT, SC230 (which is compatible with the BR330T).

Attachments

• INDYCAR_2023_INDY500v2.zip
    1.3 MB · Views: 55

KC9NEG

Should the above list be good/final, assuming Rahal uses the Wilson radios? I haven't had a chance to verify any of this (I'm planning to on Carb Day). Thanks again!

AremRed

Most of these I have not heard since 2021.

My guess is that all of the above channels are now digital but Race Control is simulcast on analog.
I didn't hear any of those channels last year, or at quali Saturday or practice today. Sucks they are not simulcast on analog as well....the digital entry level price is a serious jump.

Still waiting for a dual-radio unit so I can regular-scan and priority-scan at the same time without that annoying audio dropout. Wishful thinking I know...

Does anyone have a line on freqs for the flyover?

Chitwood

First, thanks for all of the above! Second, did anybody at the track today confirm the NBC broadcast frequency?

Harold

Premium Subscriber
I didn't hear any of those channels last year, or at quali Saturday or practice today. Sucks they are not simulcast on analog as well....the digital entry level price is a serious jump.

Still waiting for a dual-radio unit so I can regular-scan and priority-scan at the same time without that annoying audio dropout. Wishful thinking I know...

Does anyone have a line on freqs for the flyover?
They are not just digital. They are Encrypted DMR.

ind224

I was at home and heard todays fly over "Heat" 2 A10's they were holding Carmel to Broad Ripple at less than 3000' and a bit over 250KTS.
343.0 calling the hack and 119.050. Tomorrow and Sunday fly over is supposed to be F16s... I was not hearing banner tow or anything on 118.675 like years past but perhaps that freq is ??

Tom Allebrandi, the former chief engineer for the IMS radio network, use to call pit lane an RF sewer and that was before 900 MHz ISM, Bluetooth, wifi, etc.

I wonder when radios started being used in cars for the 500. At one time I saw a schematic for a Motorola MX330 radio box built for race cars.

ind224

Apaches from Shelbyville North to South S flyover in 5 minutes announced on 123.050 and heard Guard coordination on SafeT 21XXX TG

Harold

Premium Subscriber
Relative newbie here...so even if I had an SDS100 I couldn't listen in?
You can hear the Race Teams and Spotters and possibly the Race Control. But all other INDYCAR organization radios are DMR Encrypted, so no on them.

I logged the following at an INDYCAR race in Texas in 2022. You could program them in the SDS 100 as DMR and see if they get hits, you won't hear the audio traffic, but you will be able to tell if the frequencies are active.

All four of these were active today in Texas. All Encrypted DMR.
452.125 S1 CC3
463.300 S1 CC10

Last edited: