246T Handheld thoughts

Status
Not open for further replies.

danesgs

OK, let start by saying the BC/Uniden scanners are above the rest hands down. That said, GRE/Whistler comes in as a tie. That said I recently picked up a used 246T handheld and have to say I now use it everyday. This coming from someone who has a boatload of stuff, 235's, 2096, GRE-800/900 et all, yes I let the other run all day but the one I "listen" to is the 246T analog. Look it up on the RRDB Wiki and you will see even though its 16 years young it is a keeper. I am still learning the ins and outs of this radio but for a new user its menu system is fairly easy. The most best feature I can exclaim is the sensitivity of this radio. Its picking up GMRS/FRS 1 watt radios I have never heard before downtown. The Close call and service search features are great and I regularly monitor ham bands in such and have found it hears better than the radios I have for transmit. Couple that with the small size, 2 AA batteries that last forever and the screen and you have a performer in the dying analog world of scanning.

1600 channels is nothing to sneeze at either...

NWI_Scanner_Guy

SCANNING THE AIRWAVES SINCE 1987
I love my 246T. The back light isn't as bright as it was many years ago, but it's still an everyday use scanner for me. Its VHF sensitivity IMHO is even better than on my BCT15X. (y)

marlin39a

Premium Subscriber
I've had my 246T for 16 yrs. My County is still all analog, and I also use it for railroad. Yes, a great scanner.

Status
Not open for further replies.