246T Problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

jared2295

Premium Subscriber
I have a Uniden 246T that I purchased new about a year ago, and it has completly stopped working.
I noticed one day that it had stopped recieving my local FD (800mhz Trunking System). So, I cleared the memory and reprogrammed it using BCTool (I thought maybe something just happened with the programming). The next time I tried to use it it wouldn't recieve my trunking system or the conventional. I have tried 3 or 4 differnt antennas and I know that's not the problem, so does anybody else have any ideas?

Thanks,
Jared2295

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
First off, let us know what system you are trying to hear. Go to the toolbar under the logo, float it over Database and follow the prompts. Supply the URL

Did you program all the control channels?
Has the system migrated to another format?
Has the system shifted frequencies in a process we call 'rebanding'?

It may be necessary to zip the file to compress it and post a copy. That way others can see what you've programmed. Sometimes this is really the only way to diagnose an issue 73 Mike

Last edited:

jared2295

Premium Subscriber
First off, let us know what system you are trying to hear. Go to the toolbar under the logo, float it over Database and follow the prompts. Supply the URL

Did you program all the control channels?
Has the system migrated to another format?
Has the system shifted frequencies in a process we call 'rebanding'?

It may be necessary to zip the file to compress it and post a copy. That way others can see what you've programmed. Sometimes this is really the only way to diagnose an issue 73 Mike

I am trying to listen to the Tarrant County Public Saftey System (Scanner Frequencies: Fort Worth / Tarrant County Public Safety Trunking System, Fort Worth, Texas) and just the conventional channels around Tarrant County. And I can have my Uniden sitting right next to my Pro-106 and the Pro-106 picks up everything and my Uniden just keeps scanning.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Did you lock out the system by mistake? It's easy to do - if, in your display you have a asterisk in one or more places, that's what has happened. 73 Mike

jared2295

Premium Subscriber
I just checked, and the system wasn't locked out, but thanks for the advice.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
jared, find your BCTool file (it has a .bct extension, I think), zip (compress) it with any one of the popular tools (WinZip, 7zFM and many others) and attach it to your message. When you reply, there is a button for 'manage attachments'.

Did you try attaching the antenna from the 106 onto the 246? If that works, then you need a better antenna. Barring that...

Without seeing what you have programmed, it's very hard to diagnose an issue. Perhaps you mistakenly turned on the attenuator? Been there, done that 73 Mike

jared2295

Premium Subscriber
I think I might have turned attenuator on. I remember there was a box thay was 'checked' and said ATT next to it. I didn't know what it was so I didn't pay any attention to it. What is it?
And my current programming software is on my computer at the office, so I don't have access to it right now.
I'm going to download BCTool on my home computer and reprogram it with attenuator turned off.

Thanks.

jared2295

Premium Subscriber
I just checked and the attenuator is turned off and it still isn't working. Any other ideas?

jared2295

Premium Subscriber
I just checked, and it does recieve weather. So now I'm really wondering why it won't recieve anything else!?

captclint

Mentor
I just checked, and it does recieve weather. So now I'm really wondering why it won't receive anything else!?
You may have some systems/groups deactivated by quick keys. Program the weather channel into several of your groups on different systems to see if you get it in every case. If not, then quick key or lockout is suspect.

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
You could come to the DFWSCAN meetup on Sunday evening and compare to someone else's.

(Chili's at I30 and Collins, 6pm)

jared2295

Premium Subscriber
Okay. Thanks, I might just do that.
Could anyone possibly upload a BCTool file for Tarrant County so I can see if I just have a programming issue?

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
You can do a real quick check manually by doing Menu --> Program System --> New System, selecting MOT 800 Standard, and just program in the currently active control channel. SCAN at that point will scan the system in ID Search mode (will stop on all active comms). HOLD when the system is idle and you'll hear the brap of the control channel...

Manual programming is easy, but tedious if you are putting in a bunch of channels w/alpha tags. For a quick check, though, it works better than using software (because it eliminates all the other outside factors).

Status
Not open for further replies.