396T help!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

cwmehring

First post guys, please excuse my lack of radio knowledge.

I purchased this scanner to listen to the local police who just switched over to the P25 digital system. I can not get this channel to work on my scanner. I used the ARC396 program to upload the frequencies to the scanner. Am I doing something wrong? Why won't this one channel work? I have all the updates as of yesterday installed.

Frequency-453.97500
Input-458.97500
License-WQAS42
Type-RM
Tone-830 NAC
Alpha Tag-TracyPD Disp
Description-Dispatch
Mode-P25

PLEASE HELP ME!!!!!!!!!!

Highpockets

First post guys, please excuse my lack of radio knowledge.

I purchased this scanner to listen to the local police who just switched over to the P25 digital system. I can not get this channel to work on my scanner. I used the ARC396 program to upload the frequencies to the scanner. Am I doing something wrong? Why won't this one channel work? I have all the updates as of yesterday installed.

Frequency-453.97500
Input-458.97500
License-WQAS42
Type-RM
Tone-830 NAC
Alpha Tag-TracyPD Disp
Description-Dispatch
Mode-P25

PLEASE HELP ME!!!!!!!!!!

Where are you located, and what town or system is this for?

cwmehring

396t

Its a P25 system. When I set it up under conventional it does not pick the channel up it just picks up static. It needs the 830 thing to decode it right?

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
If you are hearing the "hissing" then it sounds like you have CTCSS/DCS Search turned on. It should be programmed as a conventional channel with no tones. The NAC (the 830 thing) is not needed for decoding.

Highpockets

On the digital CH2 it says dcs360 bellow the tag. Neither Ch1 or Ch3 say that and they should say dcs830.

We don't live in Tracy, we can only go by what the database tells us, It says Ch2 is FM Not digital. The only scanners that can decode NAC are the new GRE's, (at this time), if you know the info in the DB is wrong, summit a change.

Highpockets

What is NAC endocing?

P25 NAC Functionality - Much like CTCSS and DCS with analog signals, P25 Network Access Code (NAC) is used to provide selective squelch operation on conventional P25 digital channels. GRE's PSR-500 Advanced Digital Scanner will detect the NAC that is being used on a P25 conventional digital channel, and will allow you to program NAC codes to block transmissions that do not have a matching NAC, including analog traffic on the same frequency!

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
NAC is like CTCSS or DCS for P25. It has nothing to do with the scanner's ability to decode, but rather allows you to be selective about which agencies to hear if there are multiple P25 agencies using the same frequency.

cwmehring

Ok, so I know what the NAC is for the two channels. The only problem is the ARC396 only allows numbers lower than 731. Both are 830. Any idea when ARC will update this or is there a way to manually program it on the scanner its self?

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
Again, NAC is not needed for decoding. The 396 should work fine on those channels assuming they are not encrypted and that you do not have any CTCSS or DCS (or CTCSS/DCS Search) turned on.

Status
Not open for further replies.