396XT Quick Tips

Status
Not open for further replies.

daveharpe

I thought it would be good to have a sticky thread with quick tips about using the 396XT. No requests or long discussions in this thread, just "here's how you do this on the 396XT". I've been finding all sorts of little tricks that aren't obvious from the sparse documentation, and it would be good to have them all in one place. UPMan can troll these for placement in the Wiki. I'll post my first one in the next message.

daveharpe

How to search for Fire Tone-Out pairs using the 396XT

The 330T/396T/396XT scanners have the ability to sit in standby mode until a dual-tone "Fire Tone-Out" is heard on a channel. Figuring out what tones are being used on a channel has been a bit tricky until now. The 396XT has a built-in frequency counter which can be used to determine tone frequencies on any radio channel. Here's how you use that capability:

First, program the scanner to do a tone-out search. This is done by programming the target radio frequency into one of your Fire Tone-Out channels using the same steps you'd use for programming a tone-out standby channel. The only difference is you leave the A/B tone pairs set to 0, and you manually select this channel during tone-out standby mode.

To program a tone-out channel for search, do the following:
1. Menu -> Tone-out for... -> Tone-out setup
2. Select an empty tone-out channel
3. Set the frequency to the radio frequency you want to search, adjust modulation mode/attenuator/etc. as appropriate
4. Go to Set Tone, make sure tone A and tone B are both set to 0
5. Go to Set Delay Time. Choose Infinite to make the scanner hold when it receives a tone pair
6. Exit the menu

To monitor the channel for tones, do the following:
1. Menu -> Tone-out for... -> Tone-out standby
2. Here's a tricky part: The scanner will start scanning any defined tone-outs when you enter tone-out standby. To search for new tones you need to manually select the channel you created above. Rotate the command knob until the channel is displayed. The normal scan mode stops, and the display will read "Tone-out Search"

You are now monitoring the frequency you entered in step 3. When a dual-tone is heard, the scanner will unmute and the tone frequencies will be displayed on the screen. Copy the tones down, then press HOLD to resume searching for new tones.

jnewell

Excellent idea - hopefully worth being a sticky. There are additional tips here (link included because I've had a hard time finding this page on the Uniden Twiki site)

avtarsingh

Premium Subscriber
how do i program this into the fire tone out -? uniden396xt

tone a tone b tone type
Station-XX 154.180 2404001 None DTMF

reitan_family

So I'm a happy owner of a BC396xt but my issue is can the display light up when there is radio traffic? I'm having problems finding anything??

nanZor

When using quick-keys to toggle systems, include the quick-key number in the System Name. Now you'll have a visual reminder of the association of systems to quick-keys, ie

1 Northern Dispatch
2 VHF-AIR
27 Animal Control

Note: If you use software to program that allows for alphabetization, you may want to use zeros for 1-9 in the display, but still use a single digit quick-key for the keypad, ie program System 5 with quick-key 5. BUT, in the System Name, use a zero:

05 PD/LE

This way the system names that begin with 0 will appear at the top of lists, if you have more than 9 systems. In this case, you still access "05 PD/LE" with a single 5 from the keypad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.