Status
Not open for further replies.

brandon

Database Admin
This morning (1200-1300utc or so) I heard what sounded WGD7039 and a few vessels giving status reports. The signal wasn't very strong so it is hard for me to hear and I'm unable to find anything in the FCC. Here is an audio recording: 4125.0_unid_maritime_net.mp3 to help identify. I am located in southern California. Any ideas?

SCPD

QRT
I listened to your recording and it sounds like a fishing fleet doing check-in's. That would be my guess.

At 0200z and 0600z (I think daily) there's a weather net that takes place on 4125 with similar roll-calls - but with meteorlogical information. They skippers share their sea reports and locations. I've talked to the radio operator that runs it. They work out of Kodiak.

This sounds like a fleet.

SCPD

QRT
BTW, I forgot to add... that the callsigns start with W and K, so I'm guessing it might be a barge/tanker fleet operating in/around the Mississippi river delta into the Gulf of Mexico.

brandon

Database Admin
Yep your right.. I heard WYB7318 vessel "Maloy G" this morning. Comes back to PHIL GUILBEAU OFFSHORE, Inc
I also heard some test counts, KWL38 weather net, Sécurité broadcast from Kodiak, unknown hard to understand YL and some spanish comms. Good frequency to monitor overnight!

Last edited:

SCPD

QRT
Yeah I remember catching this kind of shipping traffic back in the mid-90s with my FRG-100B. I sure miss those sunspots! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.