436 Sentinel Write Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hatchet65

I have purchased a 436 for my elderly, nearly blind father. He has recently moved into a new area and the ancient scanners that he has really don't work with the newer systems. He is able to turn it on and adjust the volume. He will not be able to use any of the advanced functions, so I need to pare down the number of agencies. I used sentinel to set up a favorites, however when I attempt to write it to the 436, the pop up box contains nothing to write. I tried this in mass storage and serial with the same effect.

The other option that I tried, which was not very efficient was to avoid all of the channels on the 436 itself, but my concerns were that the avoids would come back after turning the 436 off and on again.

I don't know if it matters, but this is being done on a mac with parallels running XP. I have all appropriate drivers and it easily recognizes the scanner.

I have researched the forums and youtube for several hours now, yet am still unable to make it work.

Thanks in advance for any replies.

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
I'm not sure what you mean by "the popup box contains nothing to write." There is no popup indicating what is written. What is the title of the pop-up box? (In the top right of the box)?

Also, Macs are notorious for corrupting the cards on these scanners. See other threads about that...

Hatchet65

Thanks for the response. I read the forums about corrupted cards, and haven't had that problem yet! Everything seems to be working properly, I am sure that it is something that I am doing wrong. See attachment.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-06-14 at 11.49.17 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2014-06-14 at 11.49.17 AM.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 187

Ghstwolf62

Premium Subscriber
Not you.

This is a Windows designed scanner and Windows designed software. It doesn't work with other non Windows operating systems.

Its not supposed to.

Therefore trying to use the wrong operating system on it results in it not working.

Hatchet65

So I installed Sentinel on a PC with WIndows 8. Any time I attempt to update firmware or write anything to the scanner, I am left with this empty box. The scanner works fine. When I first got it, I entered a zip code and I pick up everything nearby. My guess is that I am doing something wrong, but I suppose that there could be a problem with the card. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• Screenshot (2).jpg
    Screenshot (2).jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 145

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
In Sentinel, select HomePatrol - Clear User Data. In the popup, click Show All Drives and run that function. Then, try "Write to HomePatrol" again.

Hatchet65

Same thing. Am I supposed to choose serial port? I assume the scanner is supposed to be on.

Attachments

• Screenshot (3).jpg
    Screenshot (3).jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 131

Hatchet65

I get this when I choose USB mass storage.

Attachments

• Screenshot (4).jpg
    Screenshot (4).jpg
    28.3 KB · Views: 124

KE5MC

Premium Subscriber
He has a 436 and the attachments show HomePatrol in the program header.

Is that going to work...

Mike

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
You must select Mass Storage mode. The latest pic you posted shows the drive (assuming the scanner is mounting as Drive D). Select it and say OK.

Mike: Good catch. Wrong Sentinel is running.

Hatchet65

OOps. This is what I get when I try Clear User Data with the correct software. And I double checked the drivers.

Attachments

• Screenshot (5).jpg
    Screenshot (5).jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 112

Hatchet65

Not under serial, but I just got this under USB Mass Storage using Clear User Data.

Attachments

• Screenshot (6).jpg
    Screenshot (6).jpg
    26.3 KB · Views: 106

Hatchet65

To clarify, under My computer, I can only see it as a drive when I select USB mass storage.

Hatchet65

Mass Storage is the correct mode to use for updates.

So I would use Mass Storage for Clear User Data and firmware updates and serial for adding favorites? I appreciate the help and hope that I can move on from here.

Hatchet65

I see the difference in the wiki. I appreciate the help and hope I can get it programmed with a little trial and error. My major problem was using homepatrol--duh. Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.