436HP battery help

Status
Not open for further replies.

WeBeCinYa

I am having some difficulty either with my rechargeable batteries, charger or the scanner itself. Got scanner last week, put in rechargeable batteries (been using these for a long while in other scanners, worked fine). In the last couple days, these batteries have lasted shorter and shorter periods in my 436. Either the batteries are going bad, or the charger, or the scanner. I was getting about 4-5hrs per charge until today.

An hour ago my scanner said batteries were low, I put in a fresh recharged set (RS brand), and they lasted about 45 min and I got the low batter message again.

Trying to understand this battery meter in the top right corner of my 436HP. When a brand new set of alkaline Duracell are put in the scanner, it reads 4.55V. When I put in my recharged energizer or Radio shack brand, it says 3.55V. I believe the threshold for low batteries are 3.3V?

Something seems off for sure.

kc2kth

Threshold is 3.3V by default, yes. Typically with freshly recharged batteries I see > 4V, or ~1.3-1.4 V per cell. If you are only seeing 3.5V there is likely a bad cell in the three. I'd try a new set of Eneloops. You didn't mention what charger you are using but you might want to check out the PowerEx charger/conditioner for charging. Love mine.

WeBeCinYa

Threshold is 3.3V by default, yes. Typically with freshly recharged batteries I see > 4V, or ~1.3-1.4 V per cell. If you are only seeing 3.5V there is likely a bad cell in the three. I'd try a new set of Eneloops. You didn't mention what charger you are using but you might want to check out the PowerEx charger/conditioner for charging. Love mine.

I was just using the basic energizer charger from Lowe's. All it did was tell the progress of the battery charge in hours. Worked great for my Pro-106 scanner...although that scanner used 4 batteries instead of 3.

So if I am seeing 3.5-3.6V with three recharged, then the batteries are bad likely, not an issue with scanner?

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
It is possible that the Lowe's charger charges cells in pairs. If you put 3 cells into the charger, then only two of them will actually be charged. Without knowing more about the model, tough to say with certainty.

Recharge Pro | NIMH Rechargeable Battery Charger | Energizer for example charges 2 or 4 batteries (i.e. must charge in pairs).

You should always pair up batteries with nearly the same remaining capacity in such a charger.

WeBeCinYa

So as I understand it, with the 436HP for the most part, the power display should show at least 4.0V after a fresh recharge on a set of 3, and I should get around 8-10 hours power from 4.0V to 3.3V?

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Yes. Although you can lower the cutoff voltage to 3.1V in the scanner menu. (Recommended)

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
8-10, typical, but there are many factors that can decrease that:
1) Amount of time the audio amp is on (i.e. you are receiving a voice transmission).
2) Volume setting.
3) Backlight setting.
4) Amount of time the scanner is decoding digital (higher processor usage = higher power draw).

Voltage shown after charging will also vary, but should typically be >4V.

WeBeCinYa

I am thinking my root issue was my charger wasn't charging 3 batteries correctly, as it has to do 2 or 4. I have been running new alkaline since lunch since 1pm and they are doing fine. I adjusted my battery low to 3.1V too as recommend earlier.
Going to start fresh with new eneloop pro batteries and a smart charger. Thanks for the help/advice here.

kc2kth

I think that was likely the case as well. I have a couple of those chargers that only work in pairs. The better chargers will indicate they can charge each cell individually. Every home should have at least one multimeter (I think I'm up to six)! You could have measured each cell and sorted that pretty quickly. There are a couple of items for your "want list" if you consider expanding your gear a bit in the future! ;)

budevans

Just curious, AA rechargeable NiMH batteries are 1.2 volts. So 3 fully charged NiMH batteries should be 3.6 volts.

What kind of rechargeable's are you using to get 4.0 volts?

Note: Alkaline (non rechargeable) batteries are 1.5 volts. So 3 Alkaline's would be 4.5 volts.

sibbley

Premium Subscriber
Using a smart charger, I typically see 1.3 or 1.4 on each charged battery. Which will be anywhere between 3.9 and 4.2 volts.

These would be: Powerex, EBL, and Eneloops. Chargers: Lacrosse and Opus

RFBOSS

Just curious, AA rechargeable NiMH batteries are 1.2 volts. So 3 fully charged NiMH batteries should be 3.6 volts.

What kind of rechargeable's are you using to get 4.0 volts?

Note: Alkaline (non rechargeable) batteries are 1.5 volts. So 3 Alkaline's would be 4.5 volts.

This not exactly accurate. The nominal open circuit voltage for a nicad cell is 1.2 volts, but at full charge the open circuit voltage may be 1.41 volts or more. The open circuit voltage will drop after charge ( with out being used) but will still be around 1.3 volts.

So 3 fully charged nicad cells would be in the range of 4 plus volts and for the Tenergy cells about 4.2 volts.

Nominal open circuit voltage, working voltage, and float voltage (as in the example above) are not the same thing.

See the information below from Tenergy. NiMh cells perform about the same in regards to voltage.

Attachments

• Capture692.jpg
    Capture692.jpg
    22.5 KB · Views: 415

6520tkp

Rav power charger battery

i am having some difficulty either with my rechargeable batteries, charger or the scanner itself. Got scanner last week, put in rechargeable batteries (been using these for a long while in other scanners, worked fine). In the last couple days, these batteries have lasted shorter and shorter periods in my 436. Either the batteries are going bad, or the charger, or the scanner. I was getting about 4-5hrs per charge until today.

An hour ago my scanner said batteries were low, i put in a fresh recharged set (rs brand), and they lasted about 45 min and i got the low batter message again.

Trying to understand this battery meter in the top right corner of my 436hp. When a brand new set of alkaline duracell are put in the scanner, it reads 4.55v. When i put in my recharged energizer or radio shack brand, it says 3.55v. I believe the threshold for low batteries are 3.3v?

Something seems off for sure.

i am using a rav power battery pack rated at 22000 mah.

Charge it up and connect the usb end of the programming cable to the battery pack and the other end to the scanner you will get over a week or more of contant scanning,

go to ravpower.com and check them out.

I dont use batteries any more.

kc2kth

i am using a rav power battery pack rated at 22000 mah.

Charge it up and connect the usb end of the programming cable to the battery pack and the other end to the scanner you will get over a week or more of contant scanning,

go to ravpower.com and check them out.

I dont use batteries any more.

Sure you do. You're using a whole bunch of them!

6520tkp

Change batteries

sure you do. You're using a whole bunch of them!

yea, but i dont have to change and charge batteries on a daily basis.

My bcd 436 eats batteries, im doing good to get one day of scanning with 3 aa rechargable batteries.

Status
Not open for further replies.