536-When to order.

Status
Not open for further replies.

kirk23

Pierrefonds (West Island Montreal) Qc Canada
I am waiting until at least the summer..I never buy "NEW" 1st release scanners anymore.. back in the 80's I bought the brand new Bearcat 350 alpha numeric scanner (back when Electra made Bearcat) 1st one died after a month..was replaced..that replacement also died..all in all went through 5 of them..in the end Uniden who had just taken over the Bearcat line finally just refunded all my money and also discontinued that model due to so many defects.. even the Uniden exec I dealt with in the end told me to always wait for at least the 2nd or 3rd run of a new product to make sure all the bugs have been worked out of them. That was almost 30 yrs ago..but I still follow her advice... better off to wait than get stuck with major headaches...

aaron315

The first trick is to identify what issues are actually bugs versus issues that are really just items that don't work as someone expected.

Then determine if the real bugs are software or hardware based.

Once you've gathered all of that information you'll be able to determine if the unit as it exists today will meet your needs or not.

Anything else is just based on someone else's opinions and experience.

As for my opinion: I have 3 of the HP536 and they all work well, meeting or exceeding my needs.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Dewey

Back to the OP... when will the 536 be offered for sale again (the repaired 536)? Now that I've sold my two HP-1s, I'm waiting to get a 536 to go with my 436.

Dafe1er

Off in a far away place, far from u.......
You folks could call the place you are looking to buy the scanners from and request before purchase the company look at the serial numbers and tell you what they are. If they fall into the numbers of the known units then go on to the next guy.

I agree with waiting for the second run, but waiting eats people alive sometimes.....I am one.....lol

Dewey

You folks could call the place you are looking to buy the scanners from and request before purchase the company look at the serial numbers and tell you what they are. If they fall into the numbers of the known units then go on to the next guy.

I agree with waiting for the second run, but waiting eats people alive sometimes.....I am one.....lol

The problem with this approach is that the "corrected" 536s have not made it to dealers yet. It has already been posted that those who have the first batch and needed the repairs will get theirs first, which is completely understandable. So if you find a dealer that has a 536 in stock, you stand a high risk of getting a unit that will need the headphone repair. I am now ready to order a 536, but I will be waiting for the corrected units to hit the shelves.

whsbuss

The problem with this approach is that the "corrected" 536s have not made it to dealers yet. It has already been posted that those who have the first batch and needed the repairs will get theirs first, which is completely understandable. So if you find a dealer that has a 536 in stock, you stand a high risk of getting a unit that will need the headphone repair. I am now ready to order a 536, but I will be waiting for the corrected units to hit the shelves.

Question is how will you know when the new batch is actually on the shelves?

Dafe1er

Off in a far away place, far from u.......
Exactly!

I do not know for sure, but a week or week and a half ago UPman said they were holding from shipping to retailers until they swap inventory. Some of these retailers might not send in units at all due to not knowing like HRO. The HRO out here knew nothing of this until I mentioned it and really did not seem to care. Hence why they did not get my money!

This is why I said to be safe and not just waste your money on a scanner to have it shipped to you then find out you need to ship that right out to Uniden.

If any of the retailers give you crap for asking this request it shows they do not have customer service as a priority.

Waiting is ideal, but like I said, some like me that can wait 2 seconds for things and want it now have a choice to make it easier to get the working units.

doctordave

Bee,

Would suggest using your state's forum to determine if the systems you typically monitor are well received by these radios. I have six 536 radios and primarily monitor a cluster of phase I simulcast systems and an evolving phase II system. The radios work very well for these systems in the locations I typically monitor from. A giant leap forward verses all previous GRE/Uniden radios. Some nearby Motorola Type II systems come in rather well and some other regional Type II systems are very poorly decoded. Other folks have noted some differing results while monitoring some of these same systems from alternate locations. So, the efficacy of these radios (in their present form) will be very system and monitoring location specific. If a firmware upgrade proves helpful to me, then great. If not, then I'm still very pleased with my radios. I'll be shocked if there are any proposed hardware changes relating to system decoding. I've never before used a headphone with a base/mobile radio, so I have no idea if that hardware issue affects my radios - and wouldn't care anyway.

trido

Retired
Premium Subscriber
Now we can ship today the audio jack fixed 536/

Back to the OP... when will the 536 be offered for sale again (the repaired 536)? Now that I've sold my two HP-1s, I'm waiting to get a 536 to go with my 436.

whsbuss

Bee,

Would suggest using your state's forum to determine if the systems you typically monitor are well received by these radios. I have six 536 radios and primarily monitor a cluster of phase I simulcast systems and an evolving phase II system. The radios work very well for these systems in the locations I typically monitor from. A giant leap forward verses all previous GRE/Uniden radios. Some nearby Motorola Type II systems come in rather well and some other regional Type II systems are very poorly decoded. Other folks have noted some differing results while monitoring some of these same systems from alternate locations. So, the efficacy of these radios (in their present form) will be very system and monitoring location specific. If a firmware upgrade proves helpful to me, then great. If not, then I'm still very pleased with my radios. I'll be shocked if there are any proposed hardware changes relating to system decoding. I've never before used a headphone with a base/mobile radio, so I have no idea if that hardware issue affects my radios - and wouldn't care anyway.

Your point regarding Type II (SmartZone) systems is right on. Reviewing the sticky UPMan has looking for NFM/FM reports indicates these systems are the ones where decoding struggles the most. My local county is still using a SmartZone system and decoding is just as poor as reported by others. They are in the process of moving to a P25 Phase II system but like all thing gov't it takes a while.

Dewey

No these are all NEW never been sold.

Thanks very much Jeff! I hope I don't sound picky, but I would like to confirm that they are Uniden repaired opposed to not going back to Uniden, but rather being repaired by a third party.

trido

Retired
Premium Subscriber
these are from Uniden as new.Paul might answer more these can be wholesaler NEW stock that Uniden took back and fixed.I opened one up they look NEW.Now one note there is a one year warranty sticker on these,that is wrong they will have a 3 year warranty all 536 below SN 2600 have three year Uniden warranty.
Paul also told me Uniden will know based on the SN if it has 3 year warranty or one year.
Again and Paul can correct me all new stock Wholesalers are now getting to retailers have NEVER been sold retail.
These may be returns from WHOLESALERS back to UNIDEN and fixed then back to Wholesalers.
Thanks very much Jeff! I hope I don't sound picky, but I would like to confirm that they are Uniden repaired opposed to not going back to Uniden, but rather being repaired by a third party.

trido

Retired
Premium Subscriber
all of my wholesalers stock and my stock from them have the NEW uniden audio jack FIXED.

I opened one up and there is now a sticker on the back it should read 3 year warranty but says 1 year that is a mistake.talking with Paul Uniden will know all 536 scanners SN UNDER 2600 will have 3 year warranty no matter if they have the one year sticker on them.
Also as far as I have been told as of right now there are no 536 with SN higher than 2600 out yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.