• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

911 Dispatch Radio Problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

pepper33

Premium Subscriber
So i work in a 911 dispatch center and i am a radio enthusiast. Recently we just upgraded and we are now running 2 Gai-tronics icp 9000 consoles which are connected to Kenwood NX-5700 Mobiles running in remote head mode. We are having problems with the pager tones for our fire and ems. The radio company says everything is right and they have ran multiple test but we are still are getting a wah wah and clicking noise when we transmit almost like alternator noise on a mobile radio running in a car. It is causing some pager tones to be shorter than usual and the pagers are only beeping a couple times instead of the full 4 seconds. Also on the Sheriff's Department channel lots of the incoming traffic is cut off and only the second half of that the incoming traffic is coming through. This channel is also on a DMR/Analog split repeater that auto switches. The fire/ems channel is not. Does anyone know what might be causing this. Radio company says its probably the weather causing this but we have never had problems like this before. Would be great if anyone had advice. thanks

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
I agree. I knew something wasn't right when they were $25000 dollars cheaper than all other companies
Low bid gets you this kind of stuff.

I'm sure your supervisor knows, but make sure that everyone knows that it's a radio issue.
Who ever runs the dispatch center should be making sure this gets fixed. For a radio shop to just blow off a PSAP like that is unacceptable.

pepper33

Premium Subscriber
Low bid gets you this kind of stuff.

I'm sure your supervisor knows, but make sure that everyone knows that it's a radio issue.
Who ever runs the dispatch center should be making sure this gets fixed. For a radio shop to just blow off a PSAP like that is unacceptable.
I agree. Our county is pretty low on money and they jumped on the first bid. This company did the neighboring counties setup just like ours and it works fine so i kinda figured it may be a hardware issue but im no radio expert

Giddyuptd

Premium Subscriber
Sounds like things aren't programmed right at the console mobiles, and repeaters.

Setting somewhere are off.

Hold them to their contract. They should have someone come to service it if there is a contract in place.

Seems like they contractor doesn't have a lot experience with the nx line.

a417

Things you just learned
  1. They are shortsighted.
  2. They are complacent.
  3. They are misrepresented their skill set.
  4. They are not street savvy.
  5. They have your money, and hopefully bid contract has language that protects you in this situation (ie. performance bonding, insurance, warranty).
You blacklist this vendor, and you find someone else who works on that infrastructure and you bring them in to say "we had this done, we want it done right, what do you see is going on here?"

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
I agree. Our county is pretty low on money and they jumped on the first bid. This company did the neighboring counties setup just like ours and it works fine so i kinda figured it may be a hardware issue but im no radio expert

You aren't just dealing with a sales guy, are you?
Sales guys will sometimes blow you off like that. Give you some half way excuse hoping you'll give up and pay the bill. You need to talk to a competent tech, not a sales guy. Make sure they experience the issue. Often having one of your larger Sergeants in the room while you do the test can be good motivation, especially if said sergeant makes it clear to the radio shop that their lack of concern is putting his officers at risk.

If the bill hasn't been paid, hold off and let them know your center has not "signed off" on the install yet. Performance should be 100% before any bills are paid. Once you give them the money, there's really not a lot of incentive to come back and fix it.

I've dealt with a number of radio guys that claimed they were "experts", but didn't really have a clue what they were doing. They were good at sticking pieces together with pre-built cables and store bought parts, but when things didn't go as expected, they would try to skip out. I've spent a fair amount of time fixing things like this.

pepper33

Premium Subscriber
They paid them up front. They did the neighboring counties radio system and it worked fine. the county trsuted them. its 2 guys who are partners with another larger company. They have done a couple of other counties and im not sure what the other ones have experienced. Their excuse every time is well in the fall months the weather changes and it makes the radios bad

RFI-EMI-GUY

I would be guessing but it sounds like your console may be keying up two stations at once. Do you have main and standby Base stations? Have someone tone out from the console while you observe the NX5700 radios.

But, i agree with the others, your real problem is your low bid shop and paying up front.

I always love hearing the "it's probably the weather" argument.

TampaTyron

Beep Boop, Beep Boop
Premium Subscriber
You can use the money you saved to pay a competent shop to fix it. Then, pay some lawyers to fight the original shop. You may want to consider contacting Kenwood corporate for help. They spend a lot of money on their brand and have a history of well deserved respect. They may not like someone crapping on it (all the major players make good gear, it is the implementation that it work well). TT

RFI-EMI-GUY

(snip) Also on the Sheriff's Department channel lots of the incoming traffic is cut off and only the second half of that the incoming traffic is coming through. This channel is also on a DMR/Analog split repeater that auto switches. The fire/ems channel is not. Does anyone know what might be causing this. Radio company says its probably the weather causing this but we have never had problems like this before. Would be great if anyone had advice. thanks
You might want to think long and hard about that dual mode DMR/Analog repeater. Why are you doing that? Can you stick with one mode?

12dbsinad

So i work in a 911 dispatch center and i am a radio enthusiast. Recently we just upgraded and we are now running 2 Gai-tronics icp 9000 consoles which are connected to Kenwood NX-5700 Mobiles running in remote head mode. We are having problems with the pager tones for our fire and ems. The radio company says everything is right and they have ran multiple test but we are still are getting a wah wah and clicking noise when we transmit almost like alternator noise on a mobile radio running in a car. It is causing some pager tones to be shorter than usual and the pagers are only beeping a couple times instead of the full 4 seconds. Also on the Sheriff's Department channel lots of the incoming traffic is cut off and only the second half of that the incoming traffic is coming through. This channel is also on a DMR/Analog split repeater that auto switches. The fire/ems channel is not. Does anyone know what might be causing this. Radio company says its probably the weather causing this but we have never had problems like this before. Would be great if anyone had advice. thanks
Before ****ting on the radio company before knowing all the required info (internet experts tend to do that), first, what type of equipment are you running? You mention transmitting and then directly relate it to paging tones, can you go into more detail? You also mention the Sheriff's dept and the trouble there which has nothing to do with your system directly (correct?). Something changed. If you have a radio problem on the SO channel then THEY will also have it, typically speaking. They didn't perhaps upgrade to a simulcast system did they? This could possibly describe your problems here..

12dbsinad

I also may have read this wrong.. the issue is at dispatch only? Are any field units complaining? Sorry, it's been a long day as I may have misinterpreted your post.

pepper33

Premium Subscriber
I would be guessing but it sounds like your console may be keying up two stations at once. Do you have main and standby Base stations? Have someone tone out from the console while you observe the NX5700 radios.

But, i agree with the others, your real problem is your low bid shop and paying up front.

I always love hearing the "it's probably the weather" argument.
Im not 100% sure what you are meaning.

pepper33

Premium Subscriber
You might want to think long and hard about that dual mode DMR/Analog repeater. Why are you doing that? Can you stick with one mode?
The Police Departments and sheriffs departments all use the so channel. some police departments can afford to upgrade and get dmr radios so the city police are on analog and the County is on DMR. Plus they thought it would be cheaper than to go nexedge (Which is what they should have done). Some radios are Kenwood and some are motorola

pepper33

Premium Subscriber
Before ****ting on the radio company before knowing all the required info (internet experts tend to do that), first, what type of equipment are you running? You mention transmitting and then directly relate it to paging tones, can you go into more detail? You also mention the Sheriff's dept and the trouble there which has nothing to do with your system directly (correct?). Something changed. If you have a radio problem on the SO channel then THEY will also have it, typically speaking. They didn't perhaps upgrade to a simulcast system did they? This could possibly describe your problems here..
The officers can talk car to car just fine and the repeater works great on digital and analog. An officer can say a whole sentence and it not come through but we also have a Kenwood tk-7180 we can monitor with and it comes through on it but not the consoles. Also from the time we key up the consoles it takes 4-5 seconds before it keys the repeater. The consoles are ran with audio cable down to some kenwood nx-5700s in a closet rack mounted

Status
Not open for further replies.