Not open for further replies.

smithw14

From today's Birmingham news...

---
Police chief in talks with `First 48' producers
Wednesday, February 20, 2008
CAROL ROBINSON
News staff writer

Birmingham homicide detectives could finally get their chance to debut on the small screen.

Birmingham Police Chief A.C. Roper on Tuesday confirmed the department has had communication with producers of the A&E TV reality crime series "The First 48." Former Mayor Bernard Kincaid last year pulled the plug on plans to highlight city murder investigations on the national cable television program.

"We are in preliminary talks with the representatives," Roper said. "It's not a done deal, but under consideration."

The show, entering its seventh season, follows detectives in various cities as they track killers.

The show's premise: For homicide detectives, the clock starts ticking the moment they are called. Their chance of solving a case is cut in half if they don't get a lead in the first 48 hours. Each passing hour gives suspects more time to flee, witnesses more time to forget what they saw and crucial evidence more time to be lost forever.

The city finished 2007 with 93 homicides, down from 109 the previous year. So far this year there have been 12 homicides. Through Tuesday afternoon, the city had not had a homicide in 25 days.

The show bills itself as gritty and fast-paced, promising to take viewers behind the scenes of real-life investigations with unprecedented access to crime scenes. In the past, the show has featured homicide investigations in cities such as Miami, Memphis, Dallas, Kansas City, Detroit and Philadelphia.

Former Birmingham Police Chief Annetta Nunn signed off on the idea one year ago, saying other agencies had said it is an effective recruiting tool in a time when police recruiting is in crisis.

The show's crews were already in Birmingham when city officials canceled the plans. Kincaid said Nunn exceeded her authority when she agreed to allow crews to follow and film her officers. City attorneys initially approved the contract signed by Nunn, but a second review and concerns from Jefferson County District Attorney David Barber changed the city's mind.

Birmingham Mayor Larry Langford said Tuesday the decision is up to Roper.

"I don't have a problem with it. In fact, I've encouraged the chief to go ahead and do it," Langford said. "It will highlight the work that these guys, these men and women do."

He said it's Roper's prerogative.

"I do not micromanage," Langford said. "He's the chief."

News staff writer Joseph D. Bryant contributed to this report. crobinson@bhamnews.com

dave911

Premium Subscriber
I really hope this works this time. The last clown of a Mayor really screwed the deal. Langford may not be perfect but AT LEAST he is letting the Police and Fire Chiefs run their departments like they should be run and not micro-managing them from City Hall.

As for Parking Wars, I see why the people at the PPA garage are behind bullet proof glass. That is the biggest scam I've seen in some time.

Status
Not open for further replies.