WS1065: A Good Entry Scanner But..

Status
Not open for further replies.

WA1LMC

Member
Joined
Nov 14, 2009
Messages
49
Reaction score
12
I have had my Whistler WS1065 for about 25 days and it is being returned for a refund. For a general purpose scanner it runs ok but is not very well designed for P25.

If you live in an area where many P25 talkgroups are encrypted, this scanner will drive you crazy. It does not mute encrypted audio on P25 as the Uniden BCD996P2, 996XT and 996T.

Another problem is you are permitted to make either trunked or conventional systems. That is not in itself a problem as the Unidens do that too. With the Whistler WS1065, you can not add non trunked P25 repeaters. There are many police departments that use single P25 repeaters. In the Uniden, you can put them in a conventional system and change the audio fro analong to digital. It works fine. I tried doing that with the 1065 and it did not decode the P25 in the conventional gruop.

Also upon unpacking the scanner had no receive audio. It did work after I went through programming but a few days ago the audio failed again. The display on the scanner and the ARC software displayed no s meter nor RSSI in the log. The latetr are not biggies but also the Pro96 data management software stopped working from the PC/IF port. The scanner would program. So I uninstalled the USB drivers and reinstalled but nothing changed.

During the uadio failure, the scanner scans and stops on channels but there is no audio from the headphone jack, external speaker and no data on the PC/IF port. The audio does thump when it is first turned on but that is about it.

When I loosed at this scanenr for 280.pp and the BCD996P2 at 340.00, I am taking the refund and do what I should have done in the first place; but a Uniden.

Now I realize this is just a bad scanner but the problem is this is a GRE PR600 with a new faceplate. It is made in China and really needs a major rework.

The biggest problem is this is not a phase II scanner like the 996P2 but also is not capable of firmware upgrades (acording to Whistler) although I never tried. That fact alone makes the WS1065 already obsolete.
 

N8IAA

Member
Joined
Dec 19, 2002
Messages
7,242
Reaction score
393
Location
Fortunately, GA
I have had my Whistler WS1065 for about 25 days and it is being returned for a refund. For a general purpose scanner it runs ok but is not very well designed for P25.

If you live in an area where many P25 talkgroups are encrypted, this scanner will drive you crazy. It does not mute encrypted audio on P25 as the Uniden BCD996P2, 996XT and 996T.

Another problem is you are permitted to make either trunked or conventional systems. That is not in itself a problem as the Unidens do that too. With the Whistler WS1065, you can not add non trunked P25 repeaters. There are many police departments that use single P25 repeaters. In the Uniden, you can put them in a conventional system and change the audio fro analong to digital. It works fine. I tried doing that with the 1065 and it did not decode the P25 in the conventional gruop.

Also upon unpacking the scanner had no receive audio. It did work after I went through programming but a few days ago the audio failed again. The display on the scanner and the ARC software displayed no s meter nor RSSI in the log. The latetr are not biggies but also the Pro96 data management software stopped working from the PC/IF port. The scanner would program. So I uninstalled the USB drivers and reinstalled but nothing changed.

During the uadio failure, the scanner scans and stops on channels but there is no audio from the headphone jack, external speaker and no data on the PC/IF port. The audio does thump when it is first turned on but that is about it.

When I loosed at this scanenr for 280.pp and the BCD996P2 at 340.00, I am taking the refund and do what I should have done in the first place; but a Uniden.

Now I realize this is just a bad scanner but the problem is this is a GRE PR600 with a new faceplate. It is made in China and really needs a major rework.

The biggest problem is this is not a phase II scanner like the 996P2 but also is not capable of firmware upgrades (acording to Whistler) although I never tried. That fact alone makes the WS1065 already obsolete.

What I have in blue is not true. I own a Pro-106 and a Pro-197. Both run and receive conventional P-25 repeaters. To hear those repeaters in analog and P-25, you would need to select Search in the squelch mode. This way, when a P-25 signal is present, it will open the squelch. The same if there is an analog signal.
It's only obsolete if there are new Phase II systems in your area.
There are NO firmware updates because Phase II requires different hardware. The WS-1080/1095, and now the soon to be released 1088/1098 scanners from Whistler do Phase II.
The fact that the scanners were rebadged GRE products was knowledge before they even were released. And the fact that they didn't mute encryption was also available before you bought the scanner.
From what you are posting, it's obvious that the radio doesn't work at all.
The next question you need to ask yourself, even when getting a Phase II capable scanner, is will the Phase II system be in the clear or encrypted. This is what is happening on most Phase II systems.
As always, it is 'buyer beware'.
Larry
 

Air490

Member
Joined
Jun 2, 2004
Messages
399
Reaction score
51
Location
Tamworth, NSW, Australia
It sounds like the unit is defective.
As to your other complaints, I'm with Larry. I owned a PSR-600, sold it, regretted it, and recently bought a WS-1065. I have found it to be a great radio for Phase 1 trunked systems, and general scanning. The "Roam" feature is brilliant for the state wide P1 system we have here (although more control channels per system would have been nice).
As to you comment "It is made in China and really needs a major rework". I don't really understand what that means. I can assure you that any Uniden you buy won't be made in the US, but rather China, Philippines or Vietnam depending on the model and the market it us intended for. For mine I prefer my electronics made in China, rather than some of the other locations.
 

Drafin

Member
Joined
Jul 16, 2003
Messages
659
Reaction score
3
Location
Charleston, SC
The biggest problem is this is not a phase II scanner like the 996P2 but also is not capable of firmware upgrades (acording to Whistler) although I never tried. That fact alone makes the WS1065 already obsolete.

This scanner was never designed to be a phase II scanner. The term obsolete is a bit inaccurate. I know in my half of my state there is no need at this time for a phase II scanner and I only know of one phase II system in the entire state. Does this scanner meet your needs? No, it sounds as though it doesn't but it's not obsolete by any means.

I hope you are happy with a 996P2, but I'd advise you to read the forums first if phase II is your main focus. There have been reported problems with it as well. Basically right now, depending on the situation and the conditions under which you monitor, P2 is hit and miss depending on the scanner and system.

Good luck with your purchase,
Draf
 

N5XTC

Member
Premium Subscriber
Joined
Dec 24, 2012
Messages
819
Reaction score
55
Location
Hampton, Virginia
This scanner was never designed to be a phase II scanner. The term obsolete is a bit inaccurate. I know in my half of my state there is no need at this time for a phase II scanner and I only know of one phase II system in the entire state. Does this scanner meet your needs? No, it sounds as though it doesn't but it's not obsolete by any means.

I hope you are happy with a 996P2, but I'd advise you to read the forums first if phase II is your main focus. There have been reported problems with it as well. Basically right now, depending on the situation and the conditions under which you monitor, P2 is hit and miss depending on the scanner and system.

Good luck with your purchase,
Draf

well crafted answer. very to the point. i agreed with everything you posted here.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top