A good way to try scanning?

Status
Not open for further replies.

af5rn

Lou, I know that you know what you're talking about, and that you're a genius who understands all the Greek in the database, but I guess not all of us are. Quite obviously, not everyone who goes to that page for the first time can tell that they need a digital scanner and that the groups they want to hear are digitally encoded. If they could, then we wouldn't get nearly so many people coming to the forum and asking for help. The fact stands that not every system in the DB has the mode listed, and it would be very simple to make this information clearer to the reader -- as has been done on some listings -- without complicating things.

Last edited:

JoeyC

The fact stands that not every system in the DB has the mode listed, and it would be very simple to make this information clearer to the reader -- as has been done on some listings -- without complicating things.

Give us an example of one system that doesn't state this info. I've opened up 15 or 20 random trunked systems so far and have yet to find one that excludes this information.

RadioStart

I'd be interested in knowing if RadioStart ever tried that link, and what he thinks of scanning as a hobby. :)

Of course I tried that link. It was interesting to hear things going on around me. But I'm no newbie to radio traffic or security and police work because I work with it full-time. I purchased a PRO-433 to try as well. It's pretty fun. Thanks.

af5rn

Give us an example of one system that doesn't state this info. I've opened up 15 or 20 random trunked systems so far and have yet to find one that excludes this information.
That's easy. Take my hometown for instance: http://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?sid=1

The point is that there is NOTHING in the San Diego database that clearly tells the n00b that a system is digital, and can be heard only by a P-25 digital capable scanner. I am no n00b by any means, and it certainly wasn't immediately clear to me.

JoeyC

Arlington System

US > Texas > Tarrant (County) > Arlington System Information Last Updated on 06-18-2008 08:58

System Name: Arlington
County: Tarrant
System Type: Motorola Type II Smartnet
System Voice: Analog
Last Updated: Updated Talkgroups (0 Updated, 0 Deleted)
Hits: 13985

??????????

af5rn

What we were discussing was the column of "A" and "D" mode indicators in the TG listings. That's what I said was not in every system listing.

But if you want to use that particular example, how about this:

System Name: San Diego, County of (RCS - Public Safety)
County: 2 counties
System Type: Motorola Type II SmartZone
System Voice: Analog and APCO-25 Common Air Interface
Uniden DSP: 0333 1985 3542
Last Updated: Updated Talkgroups (0 Updated, 2 Deleted)
Hits: 50204

What in that box tells the reader CLEARLY that they need a P-25 digital capable scanner to listen to this system?

JoeyC

What we were discussing was the column of "A" and "D" mode indicators in the TG listings. That's what I said was not in every system listing.

I dont recall the column or the lack there of being the topic here.

What in that box tells the reader CLEARLY that they need a P-25 digital capable scanner to listen to this system?

System Name: San Diego, County of (RCS - Public Safety)
County: 2 counties
System Type: Motorola Type II SmartZone
System Voice: Analog and APCO-25 Common Air Interface
Uniden DSP: 0333 1985 3542
Last Updated: Updated Talkgroups (0 Updated, 2 Deleted)
Hits: 50204

You may not be a n00b to radios , but you are to this website and interpreting its data.

af5rn

I dont recall the column or the lack there of being the topic here.
Well then, you must be reading the thread as poorly as I was reading the SD database listing, because it was quite clearly stated.

You may not be a n00b to radios , but you are to this website and interpreting its data.
Don't make ridiculous ASSumptions. I've been coming to this website for years and years. I've been scanning for probably longer than you've been alive. I know the systems here that are digital just through use. I don't need the RRDB to tell me that. But I am not the topic here, despite the fact that you seem intent on making it so. The point is that, unless you are well versed at interpreting all the random numbers and letters on some of the DB listings, the typical newcomer cannot easily tell what is what. The sheer number of people who ask about it here is proof positive of that. Back to the SD listing, neither the word "digital" nor the term "P-25" is used anywhere in the listing. That is the point.

If you have a problem with me personally, get the hell over it. But it has nothing to do with this topic.

JoeyC

Don't make ridiculous ASSumptions. I've been coming to this website for years and years.

Maybe, but your comments in this thread show otherwise.

I've been scanning for probably longer than you've been alive.

I seriously doubt that.

If you have a problem with me personally, get the hell over it. But it has nothing to do with this topic.

You were the one to derail the thread in post #11. I'm done here. Good day.

n2mdk

Back to the SD listing, neither the word "digital" nor the term "P-25" is used anywhere in the listing. That is the point.

That is correct because the only P-25 system in SD is the US DOD one, apparently you aren't as savvy as you claim to be or you would know the APCO-25 is digital.
It clearly states that the 2 public safety systems are Analog and APCO-25.
Now I'm saying this because I'm guessing you actually may know what APCO-25 means, but why would a noob understand P-25 any better than APCO-25.
There are systems that are digital that aren't P-25, your using the P-25 designation wrong in terms of the SD systems.

af5rn

Now I'm saying this because I'm guessing you actually may know what APCO-25 means, but why would a noob understand P-25 any better than APCO-25.
There are systems that are digital that aren't P-25, your using the P-25 designation wrong in terms of the SD systems.
No, I'm not. In fact, I'm not using it in any context whatsoever except to state that it says nothing about it on the SD database.

I don't expect a n00b to understand APCO-25, P-25, or any other geek-speak. And that is exactly my point. There are systems listed in the database that spell it out in plain English in the notes at the top of the page, and I got spoiled by those. There are also obviously plenty of systems -- like SD -- that do not make it clear. That is the point. Some consistency would be helpful. As the face of the hobby changes due to the move to digital, it would be nice if the database changed to reflect that reality, and made the transition easier for n00bs who have no idea what that column of "D" and "A" means. Radio Shack's salesmen obviously aren't going to help them. And apparently, a lot of people here have zero concern for n00bs. That's sad. It's sad that personal attacks on me is what it took to get the original poster the information he needed.

N8IAA

That is correct because the only P-25 system in SD is the US DOD one, apparently you aren't as savvy as you claim to be or you would know the APCO-25 is digital.

A true P-25 system has a baud rate of 9600, the mixed analog/P-25 system in San Diego has a baud rate of 3600. This allows an analog scanner to decode the analog portion and follow the analog TG's. To follow digital TG's, one needs to have a digital scanner able to decode the 9600 baud rate and hear the digital TG's. The Camp Pendleton system is a true APCO-25 system(P-25). A P-25 system does not need to use Motorola radios, or, for that fact need to be a Motorola system. M/A Com has P-25 systems that are very different from Motorola. I researched about digital systems for two years before purchasing a P-25 capable scanner. Your 433 will do you well until you are ready to purchase a P-25 capable radio. Enjoy the hobby and move up in little increments learning along the way. None of us that have been in the scanning or other radio hobbies did it overnight;))
Do the research and ask questions in the California forum and on the group I suggested you join.
The light will come on in your head and you will wonder why it didn't happen sooner!
Larry

N8IAA

No, I'm not. In fact, I'm not using it in any context whatsoever except to state that it says nothing about it on the SD database.

I don't expect a n00b to understand APCO-25, P-25, or any other geek-speak. And that is exactly my point. There are systems listed in the database that spell it out in plain English in the notes at the top of the page, and I got spoiled by those. There are also obviously plenty of systems -- like SD -- that do not make it clear. That is the point. Some consistency would be helpful. As the face of the hobby changes due to the move to digital, it would be nice if the database changed to reflect that reality, and made the transition easier for n00bs who have no idea what that column of "D" and "A" means. Radio Shack's salesmen obviously aren't going to help them. And apparently, a lot of people here have zero concern for n00bs. That's sad. It's sad that personal attacks on me is what it took to get the original poster the information he needed.

Isn't this why there are blogs, and wikis about the scanning hobby on the home page of radio reference?? Read, reread, and read again. The window with the system info tells all about what is what on that system. If one can't understand what it means----read, reread, and read again until, well you know what I'm saying.
Larry

n2mdk

A true P-25 system has a baud rate of 9600, the mixed analog/P-25 system in San Diego has a baud rate of 3600. This allows an analog scanner to decode the analog portion and follow the analog TG's. To follow digital TG's, one needs to have a digital scanner able to decode the 9600 baud rate and hear the digital TG's. The Camp Pendleton system is a true APCO-25 system(P-25). A P-25 system does not need to use Motorola radios, or, for that fact need to be a Motorola system. M/A Com has P-25 systems that are very different from Motorola. I researched about digital systems for two years before purchasing a P-25 capable scanner. Your 433 will do you well until you are ready to purchase a P-25 capable radio. Enjoy the hobby and move up in little increments learning along the way. None of us that have been in the scanning or other radio hobbies did it overnight;))
Do the research and ask questions in the California forum and on the group I suggested you join.
The light will come on in your head and you will wonder why it didn't happen sooner!
Larry

In actuality P-25 systems have a bit rate of 9600 the baud rate is 4800.

gd9704

Yikes! What happened to this thread!!

Getting back to the question, I started listening to the Cleveland police on the internet and I got scanner fever all over again.

Streaming scanner feeds are a great way to see if a scanner purchase is right for you.

hoser147

So let's say, for simplicity's sake, that I purchase a Pro 433 and I use it in North County or somewhere around 30 miles from downtown San Diego. What will I be able to pick up? Nothing? The scanner says it's useable "out of the box." So if I bought it, plugged it in, and plopped it on a table, what would I be getting? Thanks a lot.

Getter programed and see what ya get. You can always ad a decent exterior antenna and pull it in better..........Hoser

N8IAA

Getting back to the question, I started listening to the Cleveland police on the internet and I got scanner fever all over again.Streaming scanner feeds are a great way to see if a scanner purchase is right for you.
Now, get a digital and listen to Lake County, Geauga, and MARCS:)
Larry

Status
Not open for further replies.