A ionteresting antenna experience,any clues?

Status
Not open for further replies.

KMG54

Premium Subscriber
I use a BCT15 as a base unit. When I got it I had a RS discone and reception sucked. I switched to a ST2 and was impressed.I have two par filters installed, one for FM and one for NOAA. With this setup I could finally hear GSP airport with no problem 30 miles away.All my public safety was fine and all seemed good.The other night we had severe thunderstorms moving through so I disconnected the antenna outside. I was bored and wanted to listen to the scanner so I pulled out the push on telescoping antenna that came with it.The radio came to life!I could here GSP tower cleare than with the ST2 and public safety was booming.I run Beldin RG6 quad shield from the ST2,Have tried it with a ground from the shield and without,it is thirty feet in the air and overall works well.But why is the teloscopic cheap antenna working better?I wilkl admit the ST2 is still beter on the air band, but the cheapo that comes with the radio is kicking butt on everthing else. is the BCT15 subject to overload?

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Could be any number of reasons.

One thing that would be worth checking is that the point where the antenna connects to the coaxial cable is well sealed. Any water intrusion in there will damage the coax.
Look for any damage to the coaxial cable itself, damaged jacket that lets water in, pinches, cuts, etc.

If its working too well, could be that it's overloading your receiver.

Discones are not usually great performers. They are good across a lot of spectrum, but they have zero gain.

How much coax do you have between your antenna and your radio? Low end coaxial cable can introduce a lot of loss if you have too much of it.

nanZor

I'd also check that the ST2 300:75 ohm transformer is working. Might be worth it to have a backup / test alternate, like the Radio Shack #15-1140 transformer/balun on hand.

Status
Not open for further replies.