DSDPlus A possible way to periodic backups for DSD+ (or others)

BinaryMode

NOTE: Read everything I say here and pull out your favorite search engine and look it up if you don't know what I may be talking about. Also note this does not apply to Linux, Unix, BSD, or TempleOS... Only Windows.

In light of this now closed thread: DSDPlus - Suddenly Wiped And Rewritten DSDPlus.RADIOS file?! I wanted to share what I use for backups with the community in hopes it may help someone.

There's a couple of ways to approach this. What I personally do for ProScan is have a software called FreeFileSync sync/backup the audio files and history log to external USB storage via firing off the FreeFileSync batch file with another program called System Scheduler https://www.splinterware.com/. I also used to use a program called S3 Browser and the Windows Task Scheduler to upload backups to Amazon AWS S3 as I believe in redundancy. That I have now put on hold in hopes of migrating away from Amazon and instead use BunnyCDN with batch files that fire off periodically with commands for the awesome FTP program called WinSCP. WinSCP will allow you to write commands in batch files and thus automatically sync to something like BunnyCDN or even AWS S3 as WinSCP has that built-in. Though, I found S3 Browser a lot faster and more responsive than WinSCP. If you want to explore WinSCP and its commands to upload via FTP to BunnyCDN or some other host, I already did a good chunk of all the reading of the WinSCP manual some years ago and can tell you the exact commands to use for WinSCP. You can fire off the batch files for WinSCP with the aforementioned System Scheduler program. I don't use Windows Task Scheduler much any more because in the past I not only found it problematic, but sometimes wouldn't even work. So I just use a dedicated program.

You CAN copy files that are locked by Windows with FreeFileSync as it'll use the volume shadow copies for THOSE (and only those) locked files instead. FreeFileSync

Now here's something most people may not even know as it pertains to shadow copies (providing you have the Windows shadow copy service running). All is never (or shouldn't be) lost in terms of Windows and deleted or missing files. You have SHADOW COPIES! If you thought data was gone, think again. It's still there in the shadow copy. There are two programs you can bust out to help recover your data. One is called "Shadow Copy View" and another like it called "ShadowExplorer." You can also mount your system restore points in a virtual disk using a program called "System Restore Explorer." I'll link them for you.

System Restore Explorer | Nic's Blog (According to Major Geeks works in 10 Download System Restore Explorer - MajorGeeks)

You may also wish to explore Syncthing for computer to computer backups. Syncthing (May not work with locked files. Syncing files that are in use (Windows)

So there you have it. Plenty of avenues to explore and so many possibilities. If you have any questions just ask and I'll try to answer them as best I can.

merlin

Rather simple, I just copy the entire DSD+ folder to my backup drive. After an update, I repeat the process, overwriting the folder.

BinaryMode

Thanks for sharing! I'll try these solutions out.

You're welcome. It's pretty nerdy, but once you get the hang of FreeFileSync and how it works you'll love it. I use it all the time, and it runs every hour on the hour backing up my ProScan audio recordings to a USB drive. I also need to use WinSCP to backup my audio files to Bunny CDN, but I'm lazy right now and don't feel like doing it. LOL At one time I used Amazon AWS S3.