Abilene texas

Status
Not open for further replies.

KeithJoseph

Still working on my amateur radio callsign.
Is there anybody else in this area from this site? Someone who could come see my setup in person and tell me wtf I'm doing wrong.

KeithJoseph

I'm trying to learn a few things. I'm running two to three different scanners and some things are coming through and some things are not. like for instance why can I hear the Taylor county jail on one scanner and on the other it doesn't pick up unless I go to town

rattlerbb01

TX/LA Database Admin
Database Admin
I'm trying to learn a few things. I'm running two to three different scanners and some things are coming through and some things are not. like for instance why can I hear the Taylor county jail on one scanner and on the other it doesn't pick up unless I go to town

Perhaps you have the squelch turned up too high on the one that doesn't pick up the jail. Look into your squelch settings. Open squelch is the lowest you can have and basically just opens your scanner audio up to all noise on the frequency even when no transmitters are active. The higher you go up, the more it will block out the weaker signals. A higher squelch setting is good if you are right near the transmitter but don't want to hear distant signals on the same frequency.

Furthermore, if you really want more detailed help, you would have to let us know what models of scanner you are using.

ab5r

a little more detail will be helpful: inside or outside antenna on EACH receiver? Distance to jail? The jail frequency will probably be low power for just their use on site. Is it the PRO136 that has weak sensitivity? What is your other problems excluding the jail problem?

KeithJoseph

Mainly inside. I do have a mobile antenna hooked up to the pro136 which is outside. And no the 136 is the one picking up the jail. And the prison's but can't really hear much. The jail is a bout 10 mik s and the prison's are 22 mi

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
Some of the prison frequencies are on very low power, particularly the ones that are used in the building. They don't go through repeaters.

KE7JHC

TDCJ runs a repeater. WNXN960 is the ULS license, but I'm willing to bet they've moved to digital recently.

As for your problem, scanners are picky. I've had one scanner pick up conventional VHF frequencies perfectly clear while another scanner is completely different (static to non-existent reception). I guess just use the one that works for what it is you're trying to listen to.

KeithJoseph

And now all of a sudden this thing d codes it wants to hear the jail. Not to mention Stamford pd just popped up. Random. Hmm

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
TDCJ runs a repeater. WNXN960 is the ULS license, but I'm willing to bet they've moved to digital recently.

As for your problem, scanners are picky. I've had one scanner pick up conventional VHF frequencies perfectly clear while another scanner is completely different (static to non-existent reception). I guess just use the one that works for what it is you're trying to listen to.

I have not heard any mention of this happening. But, I asked a blanket question to several TDCJ officers on my FB page concerning the use of digital radios and they said "only on ID units." I will be researching this to see why the band plan hasn't been changed. I am curious about the NAC codes as well.

Last edited:

KeithJoseph

I'm trying to listen to just about everything and everyone. Especially all the police in my county and the surrounding counties. But these scanners are very bipolar. It seems as if they only pick up when they want to because I highly doubt that there is what I call radio silence. Out if all the counties and frequiencies businesses etc that are programmed into my scanners...they are wayy quieter then what they should be.

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
Mainly inside. I do have a mobile antenna hooked up to the pro136 which is outside. And no the 136 is the one picking up the jail. And the prison's but can't really hear much. The jail is a bout 10 mik s and the prison's are 22 mi

Unless you are using a powerful directional antenna, you are not going to hear a low-power building frequency from 22 miles away. I know they don't go through repeaters and there is a good reason that they are not used, maintaining security.

KeithJoseph

I've actually been able to hear the prisons and jails recently ..I completely wiped my scanner and entered everything in manually. It's working alot better. And also can someone tell me why or how I'm able to pick up Abilene police on my ws1065. I've got Abilene Edacs wildcard stored and Everytime something pops up that I don't have stored I save it. I've gotten four of Abilene police channels so far.

KeithJoseph

Ok so now I've got a discone with rg6 running less then 50 ft away from my house. It seems to only pick up 800mhz on my 1065. Why?

Status
Not open for further replies.