About ACARSD...

Status
Not open for further replies.

trainman111

Premium Subscriber
ACARSD is working okay but I'm not getting too many decodes. I think I know the problem, but I don't know how to fix it...maybe someone can help me. The only way ACARSD will decode anything is if I have my scanner-computer cord plugged into the mic jack. I noticed this reduced sound quality a lot versus the Line-In jack. However, ACARSD won't recognize anything being hooked up to the Line-In jack when I plug it in. The sound comes through the speakers, but ACARSD won't recognize it. I definately think that if I can get ACARSD to recognize the Line-In jack, I would get much more decodes. Anyone have a clue as to why this is happening and how I can fix it?

Thanks,
Nick

Shackman

trainman111 said:
ACARSD is working okay but I'm not getting too many decodes. I think I know the problem, but I don't know how to fix it...maybe someone can help me. The only way ACARSD will decode anything is if I have my scanner-computer cord plugged into the mic jack. I noticed this reduced sound quality a lot versus the Line-In jack. However, ACARSD won't recognize anything being hooked up to the Line-In jack when I plug it in. The sound comes through the speakers, but ACARSD won't recognize it. I definately think that if I can get ACARSD to recognize the Line-In jack, I would get much more decodes. Anyone have a clue as to why this is happening and how I can fix it?

Thanks,
Nick

I am a novice at acarsd myself, but it has been my experiance that acarsd is very volume level sensitive and that going from a mic input jack to line level input you will have adjust the volume that is going in. If you have not done so you may want download a volume level meter off the acarsd website. I found that to be very helpful. i hopr this helps. If not I know there are some acarsd experts on this site who would be glad to help you out.

jlh

trainman, have you told windows to use line-in instead of mic?

trainman111

Premium Subscriber
Heres what I did:

I went to volume control, clicked on options, then properties, then I selected both Microphone and Line-In...I din't get anything. I also tried selecting just Line-In, still nothing...it almost seems like I'm running out of options.

jlh

what version of windows? dont select both, just linein. raise the bar over linein halfway or so. go bak and verify that the plug is plugged into linein, not mic.

morfis

trainman111 said:
Heres what I did:

I went to volume control, clicked on options, then properties, then I selected both Microphone and Line-In...I din't get anything. I also tried selecting just Line-In, still nothing...it almost seems like I'm running out of options.

Did you set the recording control to line in?

trainman111

Premium Subscriber
The Windows version is XP. I selected just Line-In and I made sure Line-In was also selected for recording...but nothing. This is very weird. I'm not quite sure why ACARSD is doing this...

D

DaveNF2G

Try opening the squelch on your receiver. Sometimes the software doesn't pick up the preamble flags soon enough to "wake up" and start decoding the data.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Dave is quite correct. With only a few exceptions, most consumer grade scanner's squelch won't open up fast enough to hear the flags, and it won't decode anything. I usually turn my external speakers off when fooling around with ACARSD so I don't have to listen to the noise. 73s Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.