ADSB Exchange SOLD

AirplanesLive

Does AirplanesLive have a feeder page I was unable to find it.. I use these airplane tracking site to track
medical choppers in and out our county.

There is a basic map here: mlat-server Feeder Coverage

MLAT clients only, meaning those without --privacy flag and running the mlat client. At some point we'll build a more complete map with feeder performance or some status (unsure at this time).

Right now the Airplanes.Live goal is to build out the coverage network. A dense network allows us to do the important things and provide support to the people that need it. We'd love to get close to 10,000 feeds by year end as a target goal.

Getting the word out to the supportive community that helped us create something amazing over the years has been a challenge. Most people seem to setup a feeder and forget about it. Anything that all of us can do to get existing feeds to add Airplanes.Live (it won't break or affect other feeds), or completely switch to Airplanes.Live image/feed and leave ADSBx in the dust of history would be fantastic.

How to: Getting started with AIRPLANES.LIVE

Bash setup using SSH:

Bash:
curl -L -o /tmp/feed.sh https://raw.githubusercontent.com/airplanes-live/feed/main/install.sh
sudo bash /tmp/feed.sh

The teams feels like moving fast to get an alternative for all of the aviation/radio/tracking community to use is important; before the private equity firm starts to corrode what all of us supported.

gary123

One possible way to get feeders would be to make a DYI package. This would be all the necessary decoder software for SDRs. The software to upload the feed. A really good step by step .pdf with lots of screen captures showing exactly how to set up the ADSB/MLAT feed.

One thing you may want to consider is making and selling a AIO package containing SDR, power supply for the SDR, A raspberry PI (or similar) pre-loaded with all the ADSB software and internet interface software, an antenna with about 30 of cable or a direct connected antenna(both??) and a easy to setup WIFI app to upload the data. Also a container with everything inside ready to go. The container should have a power port for the power supply an antenna port a lan port. The WIFI can run off an internal antenna inside the container assuming its a plastic container.

There are many hobbyists who would be happy to set up a feed and join the community. The biggest hurdle is the actual set up of the hardware as well as sourcing all the parts. The more painless this is the more who will have no issues plugging in a box in the attic and more or less never worrying about it again.

PrivatelyJeff

Has more money than sense
Premium Subscriber
One possible way to get feeders would be to make a DYI package. This would be all the necessary decoder software for SDRs. The software to upload the feed. A really good step by step .pdf with lots of screen captures showing exactly how to set up the ADSB/MLAT feed.

One thing you may want to consider is making and selling a AIO package containing SDR, power supply for the SDR, A raspberry PI (or similar) pre-loaded with all the ADSB software and internet interface software, an antenna with about 30 of cable or a direct connected antenna(both??) and a easy to setup WIFI app to upload the data. Also a container with everything inside ready to go. The container should have a power port for the power supply an antenna port a lan port. The WIFI can run off an internal antenna inside the container assuming its a plastic container.

There are many hobbyists who would be happy to set up a feed and join the community. The biggest hurdle is the actual set up of the hardware as well as sourcing all the parts. The more painless this is the more who will have no issues plugging in a box in the attic and more or less never worrying about it again.
This is a good idea but may also turn away people who like to feed to multiple services. What we really need is a standard communication protocol between feed providers and services. I should be able to drop into a config file where to send info and some authentication information.

AirplanesLive

This is a good idea but may also turn away people who like to feed to multiple services. What we really need is a standard communication protocol between feed providers and services. I should be able to drop into a config file where to send info and some authentication information.

Airplanes.Live Store - we started on a basic one. Window kit that could be used in an attic seemed like the place to start. Time and funding are the hold up on something like a package unit that approaches commercial products.

Airplanes.Live image supports Airplanes.Live supports FA FR24 - out of the box [ AIRPLANES.LIVE - Pi Image Guide for the largest independent unfiltered ADS-B and MLAT aircraft tracking in the world ]. Since the software Raspbian linux, hosts can add other sites via SSH terminal. We can't support all the random sites - there's just not enough time in our day and majority of those site are not interested in any sort of cooperation other than getting data to do whatever they do.

The idea of the Airplanes.Live image was to make something stable that prevents SD card wear and just works for majority of use cases.

We are hoping the existing feeder community will give the initial push over the coverage hurdle. Once the aggregate data coverage is good enough to have economic and operational value, then we can compete directly the with current industry triad that monopolizes commercial data sales. Once we are self-sustaining, the goal is to keep reinvesting gear and the community. Achieving a self-reinforcing cycle ion 12-24 months.

In the other life - one of the team 3D printed, assembled, and shipped all the kits from his house for a long time. The volume was low even when hardware was readily available. During COVID Pi became very hard to find, so that drove the price of retail feeders up - but at the wholesale level prices were still $35-$45. The price increases came from scalpers, and after Raytheon bought FlightAware - everything went up significantly.

Airplanes.Live priority was SDR, that is were the most expense and lack of options appeared to be.

Next might be a colinear antenna, quite frankly it's hard to justify 1000 piece order at $27+ USD each plus freight plus 25% import fees when a clone of antenna is under $30 USD on Amazon Prime.

vagrant

ker-muhj-uhn
Premium Subscriber
@AirplanesLive - If you send me a Pi with your package on a card along with an SDR dongle, I will connect and feed your system as well. Alternatively, if a quick edit to my pi config feeding adsbx will add your feed as well, let me know.

I also extend this offer to other sites that would like a feed from my location in central California.

Average coverage is 280k SNM
Max range is 325 NM

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
@AirplanesLive - If you send me a Pi with your package on a card along with an SDR dongle, I will connect and feed your system as well. Alternatively, if a quick edit to my pi config feeding adsbx will add your feed as well, let me know.

I also extend this offer to other sites that would like a feed from my location in central California.

Max range is 325 NM

It's a really easy 4 step install to your existing Pi that is feeding, I don't think I've seen a website set up as good as theirs to get you up and running fast.

n0esc

Feed Provider

Here is one solution that is pretty close to that. Create a SD card image, boot your devices of choice with SDRs plugged in, and you're off to the races with as many or as few services you feel like feeding.

AirplanesLive

Here is one solution that is pretty close to that. Create a SD card image, boot your devices of choice with SDRs plugged in, and you're off to the races with as many or as few services you feel like feeding.

FYI: Just to clear up the air with that Docker setup. They are NOT contributing to aircraft tracking for the public good. Basically what Dirk does is take other peoples' work then claim it as his own to promote his toxic buddies. There is some coincidences that have lead to the belief that they are somehow involved in intentionally keeping the community divided for the purpose of promoting the PE firm and ADSBx. His buddies went from attacking ADSBx and insulting all the other devs to promoting ADSBexchange as the primary feed option.

That developer refuses to support Airplanes.Live MLAT and is notoriously toxic about it. (He's had multiple rage DMs with other team members at Airplanes.Live)

We're going to go down the rabbit hole of a lot of the non-public back end things that have gone on over the last 8 months. This is also why it's been hard to get out there and get Airplanes.Live as the alternative.

Airplanes.Live MLAT is not different than any other site (and he implements it incorrectly), and he uses it to promote a lot of very divisive toxic people. He's involved one of the troll sites that popped up after the sale of ADSBx, Dirk and his cohorts called everyone stupid, then kept insulting and harassing people over privacy polices. He's heavily promoted by an app called JETTIP, that is trying to find free source of FlightAware style data for his pay to use alerts. JETTIP owner believes that everything should be free except his commercial app because he wants. JETTIP and Dirk (adsb.im) do not support anything positive or the community.
(I pages of DMs and early messages from them just after the sale.)

Dirk has repeatedly attacked and insulted Kevin (airframes.io) and Ben (thebadlgeek, SAT, ACARS; has tried to get them banned from every chat/forum Discord he in. I'm not sure why one place tolerates him, there has been at length discussion about banning him but they don't want to deal with the drama he will create.

I get that some of the Docker people want to promote it for some reason but the it's not remotely stable code. Dirk has been banned from several Discords and seems to have been quarantined in Docker one that "tolerates" him because he uses their Docker packages. That image is a compilation of Docker packages poorly configured. Dirk creates drama in the tracking community by continually insulting other developers.

The trouble you will have just trying to make that work and dealing with the issues of how that Docker pile built is not worth it.

There are also issue with upload bandwidth and CPU time. Using this on a Pi Zero, Pi 2, and probably PI 3 or 4, then enabling 10 sites will likely make the data useless if you don't have enough upload bandwidth to handle it. If it's on WiFi the situation becomes even worse.

Let me repeat, it doesn't support Airplanes.Live MLAT intentionally.

We're getting way off the topic here but ultrafeeder is a much better alternative if you want to use Docker. While it packs everything into a single container, so it's not really efficient - the YAML Docker config might be something for a few people.

GitHub - sdr-enthusiasts/docker-adsb-ultrafeeder: ADSB-Ultrafeeder is an all-in-one ADSB container with readsb, tar1090, graphs1090, autogain, multi-feeder, and mlat-hub built in

Using bare metal with a stable image for PI is AWLAYS the reccomended way.

Last edited:

AirplanesLive

Max range is 325 NM

Hopefully I got the formatting correct.

STEP 1: FIND ANTENNA COORDINATES AND ELEVATION

FIND YOUR COORDINATES AND ELEVATION!

STEP 2: INSTALL THE FEED CLIENT

Bash:
curl -L -o /tmp/feed.sh https://raw.githubusercontent.com/airplanes-live/feed/main/install.sh
sudo bash /tmp/feed.sh

STEP 3: USE NETSTAT TO CHECK THAT YOUR FEED IS WORKING

The feed IP for airplanes.live is 78.46.234.18

Bash:
netstat -t -n | grep -E '30004|31090'

Expected Output:

Code:
tcp 0 182 localhost:43530 78.46.234.18:31090 ESTABLISHED
 tcp 0 410 localhost:47332 78.46.234.18:30004 ESTABLISHED

STEP 4: THAT'S IT!

After the install completes, check Airplanes.live MyFeed for feed status.

See your shared data on airplanes.live!

AirplanesLive

Max range is 325 NM
Also, if you want to message directly, can discuss setup and how to add based on that.

vagrant

ker-muhj-uhn
Premium Subscriber
Now also feeding to airplanes.live

[Below is mostly for my reference to review at a future date]
1835 UTC Tuesday 2024/02/27

Currently 1297 feeders in the network
26 synced peers
Farthest Peer 292.0 miles

Closest peer:
7 synced peers
Farthest peer 179.9 miles

Last edited:

AirplanesLive

Now also feeding to airplanes.live

[Below is mostly for my reference to review at a future date]
1835 UTC Tuesday

Currently 1297 feeders in the network
26 synced peers
Farthest Peer 292.0 miles

Closest peer:
7 synced peers
Farthest peer 179.9 miles
Awesome! Thanks!

n0esc

Feed Provider
@AirplanesLive

So I really have zero skin in the game here, I simply wanted a solution that "worked" better than the messy path I was headed down since I had created a nine headed hydra on the Pi I was running after neutering the ADSBx feed and adding the various alternatives over the months as they popped up. Now that said I have a couple of honest questions that are in no way intended to be inflammatory based on your post above.

I formatted and imaged the ADSB.im image and started my PI, only configuring the requisite feed ID keys and selecting which places I wanted to feed to. One of the containers within the image is ultrafeeder itself and appears to be handling the bulk of the systems.

The configuration page within adsb.im seems to indicate that MLAT to airplanes.live is working exactly the same as all the others. Of course that could be false or tampered with, so my next check would be the ultrafeeder logs, which appear exactly as every other feed servers, and finally, AIRPLANES.LIVE feed information page (myfeed) which returns a Success status for both Beast and MLAT, and also give no indication of any type of error or issue.

Coming at this as an outsider simply willing to donate equipment and data, and have something just "work". I'm certainly not a stranger to backroom drama and politics, but imo it feels unnecessary here. Also addressing your first paragraph statement about somehow preferring ADSBx over the other systems. This also feels off and misdirected anger. The option for ADSBx is buried in the same checkbox list in no particular order and nothing feels like it is pushed over any of the other systems. It's either on or off.

AirplanesLive

@n0esc

I'm not trying to make drama and was reluctant to post a reply, but it appears enough that it needs addressed. One of the many things the Airplanes.Live team agreed on was to be truthful: we were truthful when we built other things, and we were truthful when all the shenanigans happened. We could have taken a bribe to go away quietly, essentially that is what was implied to us. We refused to lie to the community that we fostered and grew out of the FA/FR24 dominance.

Airplanes.Live isn't interested in being passive aggressive about things. We're going to put facts out and people can decide as they want.

This is getting way off topic; but here goes.

As a coder; wrapping ultrafeeder in a poorly constructed and dramatic checklist system that "categorizes" and "ranks" sites based on if they have a privacy policy isn't productive.

As for that the thing you are promoting above, it doesn't work correctly, and we can tell by the connected clients. I guess if you want to argue with the people that built what he is using, I can take that up. It just is what is it. We do what we can. To make it worse Dirk intentionally refuses to correct the problems we've mentioned in public and privately. It's a personal vendetta because just after the sale he was very toxic to the people trying to cooperate to get something up and running. After a while everyone grew tired of him; he was simply banned from several Discord communities. Dirk was also banned from the current place he hangs out in multiple times, he kept coming back until they let him stay. The mods are afraid to deal with him due to the issues he creates. The entire team keeps hearing it privately from other developers. Our own experience does not differ.

Re: I didn't say he promotes it, I said the site his cohorts promote pushes ADSBx, after attacking it for several years. Dirk creates an incredible amount of toxic drama in the community, not everyone sees it because most aren't involved in the day to day of ADS-B drama of the things not owned by 3 firms and the finance industry.

What he's doing is not helpful. It's not productive. His entire goal seems to be to divide the community to make sure nothing is long term sustainable.

The team that created Airplanes.Live has been saying and trying to build the same idealist organization since January 2023.

People are free to use what they want, just be aware what you are promoting doesn't support things properly because of intentional personal malice.

As for: AIRPLANES.LIVE feed information page (myfeed) - The MLAT display might not be working as one other reported MLAT when he doesn't have it enable on his own DIY setup. I think there is a bug in a recent update we pushed, I haven't had time time track it down.

PS: Thanks for sending data.

Last edited:

AirplanesLive

On that note, here is a colorful map via airplanes.live showing my feed synced with other peers that are also disclosing their locations.

That's what I'm excited about! Airplanes.Live is trying to blanket CA before the summer months, operations tracking is invaluable for fire fighting and medical flights.

Keep it up everyone! If anyone reading this knows FlightAware feeders or FlightRadar24 feeders - please let them know they can add Airplanes.Live or use our image. ( Getting started with AIRPLANES.LIVE )

We accomplished something great once, we can do it again! Thanks for all your assistance in making our dream a reality!

we-can-do-it.png

dmchalmers

I logged in to ADSB a few minutes ago. and got a "Support our Advertisers" popup. I have little problem supporting the site expenses IF there are some clear commitments from the owners that this is solely for site maintenance, server expenses etc. I know what server costs are etc so I will not accept a general cash grab or ransom type demands like this "The site will be shut down if we do not get 1,000,000,000 by midnight".

If we are funding the site then the site must remain open to everyone and run as it has been in the past. I do not mind a drive to bring in new feeders as long as its not going to be a pile of popups every 5 minutes. In fact popups of any type are a big annoyance and should not be there. A simple "support" button in the menu would be fine.

I speculate that the DOS attack is from someone not happy with the new ownership.
Had same issues, by time i got thru all ads i missed what i was looking at! waste of time an power.

AirplanesLive

Had same issues, by time i got thru all ads i missed what i was looking at! waste of time an power.

It's going to be a pile of popups - that's a tactic to annoy you with ads so you either setup a feeder or pay them subscription money.

Overall ad revenue is declining in 2024 on a per ads / per click payout. Now that a private equity firm owns ADSBexchange since January 2023, it's not owned by enthusiasts anymore, it's owned by the greedy investors at Silversmith Capital Partners. ADSBexchange is being sued for intellectual property theft. [ DocumentCloud ]

All the people that feed ADSBexchange in this forum need to do is send data to Airplanes.Live from your existing device. Optionally if you remove ADSBx from your feeder, then that's how you don't to support the greed of Dan Steufert and Silversmith Capital Partners.

Airplanes.Live has no ads on the map currently, and w're going to try to keep it annoying ad free.

Join the team at Airplanes.Live, the place where the same team that built the above site calls home.