Adverts - What Did I Do Wrong

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scan125

Is it just me or are other people seeing large and aggressive commercial adverts?

As I write Is have a "20 Ingenious Inventions 2019 - They're selling like crazy. Everybody wants them". No I don't want one!

Small on the side/off to side/... ads I can live with but as I type this mentioned add is taking 30% plus of my screen work area.

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
Is it just me or are other people seeing large and aggressive commercial adverts?

As I write Is have a "20 Ingenious Inventions 2019 - They're selling like crazy. Everybody wants them". No I don't want one!

Small on the side/off to side/... ads I can live with but as I type this mentioned add is taking 30% plus of my screen work area.

Check this link:

Scan125

Other than the normal Scanner Master ad on the top right, nope. Sounds to me like your browser might be infected with adware
No don't think so. I run the tightest of ships after years in the industry.

Not being a Premium Subscriber is probably the cause but I've not been one for at least a couple of years and have seen and accepted the adverts as a consequence but more recently these ads have become "in your face and more obnoxious" to what used to occur as a non premium subscriber.

Scan125

Anyone not running an adblocker is not running a tight ship.
Sorry, nice try but I do have and run a blocker (uBlock Origin) however for some sites, like Radio Reference I have made exception rules. I do this because in the past RR has been light and unobtrusive on adds and to be fair most if not all of the adds have been radio kit/hobby based so do actually provide some interest to me.

I was making the point that the adds have become very intrusive recently.

I've now removed the exception and they are all gone. HOWEVER I suspect that the RR site owner will not be too pleased.

belvdr

No longer interested in living
If your going to block ads do it correctly at the hosts file... Blocking Unwanted Connections with a Hosts File - works like a charm.
While either one can block ads, I prefer the browser extension, as hosts files have no concept of HTML. The idea is if a certain host delivers the content and the ads, you can block the ads but get the content.

I also run a script blocker, which hosts files cannot manage.

One is not more correct than the other. It's all down to preference.

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
Just logged out so I could see what's going on.

I see one large ad at the top of the page and an ad on the side of the page when I browse the list of forums. Browsing the threads I see one large ad at the top of the page. Browsing a thread I see one large ad at the top and a smaller ad in the middle of the posts. If you're seeing more than that then I suggest you check your browser for adware.

The ad at the top does occupy a lot of space but as you scroll up, it disappears. If it was fixed at the top of the page then I'd see a reason to complain but it's not.

blantonl

Founder and CEO
Staff member
Super Moderator
We try to be as unobtrusive as possible with ads... but you really are better off just being a Premium Subscriber if you are dead set against ads.

Advertising is a natural part of generating revenue for an online Web business, and RadioReference is no different. We sprinkle advertising liberally throughout the site in exchange for providing all of our data and a vast majority of access to it for free.

Scan125

We try to be as unobtrusive as possible with ads... but you really are better off just being a Premium Subscriber if you are dead set against ads.

Advertising is a natural part of generating revenue for an online Web business, and RadioReference is no different. We sprinkle advertising liberally throughout the site in exchange for providing all of our data and a vast majority of access to it for free.

I know you do / have been as unobtrusive with ads in the past and I was never turning them off or blocking them. It is just that now, for me, I've noticed a big difference in how they appear, sometimes get 20% to 30% of the screen space. Well that is what I see at this end.

Last edited:

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
Well, Scan125 included that graphic of the full RR page and it included the Brennan B2. I've been looking for something like that because I have an extensive collection of CDs and LPs that are taking up a lot of room. I need them gone. Some of the LPs have collector's value and I'll hang onto those. The CDs have no collector's value but I still want the content. As a premium subscriber, I never saw the ad.

Scan125

Well, Scan125 included that graphic of the full RR page and it included the Brennan B2. I've been looking for something like that because I have an extensive collection of CDs and LPs that are taking up a lot of room. I need them gone. Some of the LPs have collector's value and I'll hang onto those. The CDs have no collector's value but I still want the content. As a premium subscriber, I never saw the ad.
Well Brennan has a good reputation.

My old comment would we "all your eggs in the one basket" so you have to ensure you have decent backups before losing the original media. And yes not only are LPs making a comeback many are worth a small fortune to the right collector. I know a few people who despite my advice were happy to turn all their music to MP3 and ditch their bulky collection of old plastic. They now regret their decision big time.

But this is going off topic so "I report myself" :eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.