Air Band Radio?

rescue69

I am in the market primarily for an air band radio that also covers military air. I also listen to some ham radio for sky warn during severe weather. I am debating between BCN 160DN and BCT 125AT. Does the 160DN offer any advantage over the 125AT as far as air band monitoring? I have also considered getting a handheld ham radio to monitor the same since they often receive better than a scanner. I have other radios for monitoring trunked systems which I rarely do much of since getting out of the fire service.

While I do realize each would have an advantage the scanner longer alpha tags and ability to program in the field. The ham radio better receive downsides not be programmable on the fly and shorter alpha tags. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

aprswatcher

Premium Subscriber
The BC-125AT is a great scanner for the aircraft bands both civilian and military. It has great receive and clear strong audio.
it is easy to program ”on the fly”, but would suggest software such as Proscan or ARC125.
The only downside to the 125 is it uses batteries rather quickly, just buy some good rechargeables, 2 sets (that’s 4 batteries total) and a good external charger and you will be good.
I’ve had good luck with a Diamond RH77 antenna.
A good base scanner for aircraft bands is the Uniden BCT-15X!
73, Rex

737mech

Premium Subscriber
I have the 125AT and it’s very good on airband. The only thing I don’t like is Uniden cut the coverage on milair and stopped it at 380. So that small piece from 380 to 400 is not in the 125AT.

fasteddy64

Dont laugh, but for air monitoring on the cheap, the Quansheng UVK5 HT does a nice job, after you flash it with a different firmware version.
Excellent frequency coverage, really good batter life, small size etc...
For $30 or less it is a decent choice.

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
I have the 125AT and it’s very good on airband. The only thing I don’t like is Uniden cut the coverage on milair and stopped it at 380. So that small piece from 380 to 400 is not in the 125AT.
Most frequencies in the 380 MHz have been allocated to trunking systems now a days, which the 125 wouldn't receive.

I have also considered getting a handheld ham radio to monitor the same since they often receive better than a scanner.
Most ham radios won't receive the AM UHF band.

fasteddy64

Most frequencies in the 380 MHz have been allocated to trunking systems now a days, which the 125 wouldn't receive.

Most ham radios won't receive the AM UHF band.
Actually quite a few will.
I use the Yaesu FTM-7250 in both my vehicles, they do great on VHF and UHF air.
I have a Yaesu FT-60 and an FT-70, both do a good job on air bands as does my Alinco DJ-G7 handheld.
There are many others that do, I wont buy one that doesnt.

steve9570

Member WSAG-457 -KB1-KZW- KCP-2441 CB-WA1-BZG
Premium Subscriber
I agree on the BC125 AT being a battery hog! I keep my charger handy when using it.
My Moto HT1250 LS can go for days with out a charge but the BC125 gets me about 4-5 hours.

Steve

blackbelter

I am in the market primarily for an air band radio that also covers military air. I also listen to some ham radio for sky warn during severe weather. I am debating between BCN 160DN and BCT 125AT. Does the 160DN offer any advantage over the 125AT as far as air band monitoring? I have also considered getting a handheld ham radio to monitor the same since they often receive better than a scanner. I have other radios for monitoring trunked systems which I rarely do much of since getting out of the fire service.

While I do realize each would have an advantage the scanner longer alpha tags and ability to program in the field. The ham radio better receive downsides not be programmable on the fly and shorter alpha tags. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated!
I had asked the similar question and was advised that in a busy and high RF areas the 160DN could experience front end overload. My 125 performs well on VHF and superior in the air band. The 160DN covers the missing 380-400 UHF military air on the 125.

Last edited:

AirScan

I also have a BC-125AT (with an RH-77CA antenna). I find it's okay but doesn't sound as good compared with my SDRplay RSPuno in the mil air band (same antenna). Sounds kinda muffled/scratchy (speaker and headphones). One thing I find particularly annoying is you can't seem to change the step size in Srch mode, so it's stuck stepping at 12.5 kHz in the mil air band doubling the Srch time. Unless I'm missing something ?

Last edited:

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
Actually quite a few will.
I use the Yaesu FTM-7250 in both my vehicles, they do great on VHF and UHF air.
I have a Yaesu FT-60 and an FT-70, both do a good job on air bands as does my Alinco DJ-G7 handheld.
There are many others that do, I wont buy one that doesnt.
Thanks, I was not aware

hill

Premium Subscriber
I use an older Yaesu FTM-100 mobile to monitor civilian and Mil air when not using it for ham radio purposes.

Works really good on Mil-Air with a short 2M/70CM ham antenna on car's trunk.