Air Band Scanner

10-43

Premium Subscriber
But long before that is happening, that you easily can hear, are that a receiver looses sensitivity gradually with a signal gradually getting stronger anywhere in the frequency band that the filters will pass to its electronic circuits in the receiver, a desense. When I check desense in a small super sensitive 0,15uV Icom R2 scanner it desense heavily from just a moderate signal strength but a 0,6uV sensitive Regency Pro-2006 doesn't desense at all even when exposed to a huge signal level, making it receive much better than the Icom unless there are no other interfering signals in the frequency band.

In some circumstances a receiver that handles strong signals better, but have a specification that show a bad sensitivity, will receive better than a more sensitive receiver. It depends of what antenna that are used and what the local RF interference levels are.

/Ubbe
I have never noticed a desense issue with the BCT15X, and it has been very close to some very strong signals. I havent used the BCD996P2 as extensively as the BCT15X, so I am not as sure about that one and have not tried to desense it. I abandoned Icom receivers long ago due to desense, intermod and image issues. They are way too sensitive and lack adequate switched input filters. Got tired of playing with attenuators and antennas on them. One of the things that made the Pro-2006 so immune was the passive band switched front end filters which also inserted just a slight bit of attenuation. They are plenty sensitive. The BCT15X also has passive band switched front end filters. They are more than simple single T or pi filter designs.

10-43

Premium Subscriber
What SDR dongle? I'm using it them on my 15X and 346XT. They've worked fine for me, even around the lower end 118-122. I was just listening to it earlier this evening. Cleans up all of the static I get without it.
Two versions of STL-SDR. Cant find one of them. Both in metal cases. One is
V3 R860 RTL2832U 1PPM TCXO SMA

10-43

Premium Subscriber
Two versions of STL-SDR. Cant find one of them. Both in metal cases. One is
V3 R860 RTL2832U 1PPM TCXO SMA
I have these two.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240910_002816_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20240910_002816_Chrome.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 14

Ubbe

One of the things that made the Pro-2006 so immune was the passive band switched front end filters which also inserted just a slight bit of attenuation.
All scanners use bandpass filters, some attenuate more or less outside of its frequency range but will always have a loss within its frequency range. That's why scanners have bad internal noise figures, that can be compensated for by using a preamplifier. What sets the parameter for desense, receiving strong signals within that bandpass frequency range, are how well the first transistors after the BP filter can handle it.

It's usually a strong relationship between low amplification and good strong signal handling and high amplification, often with low power consumption needed for a portable scanner, and bad strong signal handling.

For the Icoms I have measured, R2 and R10, they are super sensitivity but with a bad strong signal handling, but for a IC-R2500, with a relatively bad sensitivity of 0,5uV that are among the worse measured among modern scanners, are just as good at handling strong signals as a Pro-2006.

We had a company making police scanners that had issues with overload and intermod and then came out with a markII version. The only thing they did where to replace the first transistor after the filter, that also worked as the mixer, to a much more powerful transistor that had its current going thru it increased by 25 times. It then became immune to overload. I worked together with a company that did RF interference investigations and they used a spectrum analyser with a 10dB preamplifier to make it sensitive enough. And that external preamplifier module got extremely hot that you couldn't touch it, and needed to have that high current going thru it to not get overload issues.

/Ubbe

randybcd396t

Premium Subscriber
I already have a Uniden SDS100, SDS200 and a BCD436HP.

Are there any recommendations for Air Band scanners that have advantages over these?

StoliRaz

🇺🇲
I already have a Uniden SDS100, SDS200 and a BCD436HP.

Are there any recommendations for Air Band scanners that have advantages over these?
I have a 436, and it does similar on airband as my 346xt/15x, so in that case I personally don't believe so. I always feel it's a waste tying it up on analog stuff while I have analog-only scanners right next to it though.