TRX-2: Air Bands on the TRX-2 excellent!

Status
Not open for further replies.

MStep

That's often not the case when the signal source is moving at 300mph or faster.

The swapping comment referred to moving the antenna itself from radio to radio, vs connecting a coax lead to a different radio without moving the actual antenna.

Hi Jon and all--- I think most people understood, and it was certainly the intention of my "swapping comment", that the antenna (and cable, and connector, ad nauseam ) should remain the constant in the equation and remain in place, and that subsequent radios be tested on the same antenna in very short periods of time. And of course, I clearly referred to monitoring the ground station (be it ATC or NWS) and not moving aircraft.

In any event, I think we are all comfortable with the methods that we were taught as we grew into our radio hobby, and that perhaps absent some extremely expensive bench test equipment (which may or may not provide "real-world results"), we all use what works for us. My way has worked for me for 60+ years. Of course, for those who have a splitter or multicoupler, and that works for them, all fine and good. We're all from many different generations and have all learned from different mentors.

In the end, I think as long as we are all personally satisfied that we are doing is the best we can with what we have available to us, then any method that "works" for any person to achieve their individual desired result is just fine.

I am always a willing student, so your comments about splitters and multicouplers, has certainly piqued my interest in possibly experimenting in that direction at some point.

Status
Not open for further replies.