Aircraft over Naples, FL Today

Status
Not open for further replies.

WX1SVR

Hi All,

Saw something that I have never seen before. I am in Naples, FL and whatever the environmental conditions have been for the past two days, they have led to very defined and long vapor trails in the sky which has been cool and allowed me to watch aircraft progress. Today, however, I noticed something that, in 30 years of plane spotting, I have never seen before. Thanks to the well-defined contrails, I was able to follow 3 planes, very high up - high enough to not hear any sound from them - making large circles around my area of Naples. This happened between approximately 1:00pm EST and 1:45pm EST. There were 3 aircraft making large circles around my area. I know President Obama was visiting the state today, I believe in Miami for a speech. I am wondering if these aircraft were related. Although Miami is 100 miles to our East. These were not small aircraft. Certainly 1-2 engines per wing - large aircraft, not fighters. To me, they looked like aerial refueling for a CAP maybe or AWACS or whatever else might have been occurring. If anyone has any ideas what I saw, I would appreciate it. No radio transmission that I could find.

Thanks!

hhrj

Premium Subscriber
I've seen this before in Iowa, refueling operations with B-52's orbiting while they wait their turn for gas.

In a slightly different display, Boeing recently did a 14 hour test flight of their newest airliner by leaving a track of 787 and the Boeing logo across several states and viewable on Flightaware...Nice!

Maybe your guys were trying to write "OBAMA" but couldn't figure out how to spell it.

Ron

hhrj

Premium Subscriber
Never mind me, I'm an idiot.

I just figured that you had really good eyesight based on your report of no limo yet reading from the emailed reply notification that I received earlier.
We're all idiots and morons, but some are better at it than others!!!
Ron

AirScan

hhrj

Premium Subscriber
Airscan is right.
Also note that there can be several aircraft flying the same holding pattern at different altitudes (Stacked).
As the lower flights are cleared to the approach and leave the hold the other flights descend in the pattern. All arriving flights enter the hold in increasing altitudes and this probably put those flights pretty high thus the contrails. Just think of the amount of fuel this wasted!!!

One more thing, these holds are used to provide spacing into the given airport for whatever reason and most times the traffic is not stacked up this long or high. It's probably happening right now there as I type this, however the altitudes maybe much lower and a visible contrail not produced.
Ron

WX1SVR

Airscan,

Brilliant! This was exactly it. I didn't realize FlightAware would show the holds in the track. That's pretty awesome. Those would have been the exact times and no doubt the aircraft I saw. I believe they were holding at the Cypress VOR which is in Naples. I'm familiar with holding and stacking, but I've never been able to see the vapor trails before. Very cool. Thanks for the replies.

eagleswings01

I just have to say that technology is incredible!

CalebATC

Most likely, those were aircraft holding on the SSCOT Arrival into Miami. Being in Naples, they were probably holding over CYPRESS (CYY) VORTAC, or at BAARY. They might have been at different flight levels, or in different holding patterns, in-trail, etc.

I used to live in Pine Island, so that arrival went right over my house. I can't remember the ARTCC frequency, I believe it was 128.22 (I look at the maps, believe that's it)? If I recall, they were at FL240 or so when crossing.

Check out the STAR (Standard Terminal Arrival) approach plate for the SSCOT1.

http://155.178.201.160/d-tpp/1202/00257SSCOT.PDF

Status
Not open for further replies.