Akron police: Two abduction attempts of 3-year-olds reported at Chapel Hill mall

Status
Not open for further replies.

hogwmn

Premium Subscriber
AKRON -- Police say a man struck in a crowd of people, during broad daylight and with the victim's parents within reach of the children. Still, the minute he gets resistance, he runs out of sight.

Police say Chapel Hill Mall security simply hasn't had time to react. It happens in an instant. Parents need to keep a close on the kids this weekend.

The Mecca of Akron shopping, Chapel Hill Mall is now a hunting ground for a child predator, police say.

"Keep an eye on your child, keep close proximity. In an instant this could happen," Akron Police Lieutenant Rick Edwards said.

Twice, a man described as being between 25 and 35 years old and 6-feet tall attempted to snatch a three-year-old girl.

Akron police Lt. Rick Edwards says with games, rides and other attractions, Chapel Hill is a child destination.

"It would be just like going to your local park where they congregate," Lt. Edwards said.

"There is a location in the mall here where kids have a tendency to congregate."

Cheryl Hooks and her seven-year-old son David come here at least once a week.

"I'm very shocked. I didn't know anything about it," Hooks said.

Also shocking are the details of both attempted abductions exactly a month apart.

From police reports, we know on April 4 a woman holding her three-year-old's hand says she felt a tug, then looked back to see her daughter being grabbed from behind. The mother kicked the suspect and he hurried away.

On May 4, the suspect attempted to lead another three-year-old victim out of the mall. The mother had food trays in both hands at the time. The suspect left the victim and fled after the mother yelled.

"He shouldn't attempt it in front of this mom. That's what I think but that's pretty bold," Hooks said.

So bold police are convinced the suspect hasn't left the area. Police seem certain he will try again.

Akron police have sent out an alert to surrounding police jurisdictions. They are warning parents to be on the lookout for the suspect.

Mall management did not return our calls, but just from walking around inside the shopping area, you can sense heightened security.

Anyone with information about these abduction attempts is encouraged to call the Akron Police Department at 330-375-2490 or the Summit County Crimestoppers Inc. at 330-434-COPS (2677).

Tips can be forwarded online at the Akron Police Department's website or the Crimestoppers website. Akron police: Two abduction attempts of 3-year-olds reported at mall

Navycop

I wonder if they have his image on video camera. Give that to the news media and let them plaster it on tv. Then moms, and dads can BOL for this lunatic.

Status
Not open for further replies.