• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

all in one with ssb and scan?

rjvalenta

Premium Subscriber
i have a limited desk space situation which would be helped by an all-in-one type radio (or whatever you want to call it, feel free to correct me to help my search)... examples would be the new Cobra 75 'All Road' or the Uniden CMX760 etc...

but none of them have SSB

i want to be able to scan, most everything has scan, but i'd like to have SSB and that seems to only be possible with a large (and usually more expensive) radio.

does anyone know of something similar to the CMX760 in design, that has SSB?

thanks,

Richard

slowmover

That’s the trade-off.

Performance is what matters and the latest NRC-equipped is that on which to focus (don’t purchase new gear without it). Anytone Graces, or President Harrison. See RadiOddity choices.

Given that an Anytone AT5555-N2 at $260 replaced nearly $600 in separate equipment in my mobile, might look at bang-for-the-buck a second time, also.

SSB is razor-sharp on the Q5. Now famous for being dead-on frequency straight from factory. Electret or Dynamic Mic. Large meter. Runs a DRX-9010 speaker with audiophile quality. Etc.

Two-Function Scan: Each channel a few moments, or by breaking SQ.

Noise/Sound Profile: 5-level NRC, plus NB & Hi-Cut.

— Have a look at aftermarket mounting brackets (Bells CB, or Bob’s). Might be a way to get around space issue for larger radio + DC Power Supply.

You’ll get the most from a proper base station antenna with a Q5 or its circuit board cousins. You’d have to make the move to Amateur Radio gear to exceed its performance.

Good luck with what you decide.

Last edited:

rjvalenta

Premium Subscriber
That’s the trade-off.

Performance is what matters and the latest NRC-equipped is that on which to focus (don’t purchase new gear without it). Anytone Graces, or President Harrison. See RadiOddity choices.

Given that an Anytone AT5555-N2 at $260 replaced nearly $600 in separate equipment in my mobile, might look at bang-for-the-buck a second time, also.

SSB is razor-sharp on the Q5. Now famous for being dead-on frequency straight from factory. Electret or Dynamic Mic. Large meter. Runs a DRX-9010 speaker with audiophile quality. Etc.

Two-Function Scan: Each channel a few moments, or by breaking SQ.

Noise/Sound Profile: 5-level NRC, plus NB & Hi-Cut.

— Have a look at aftermarket mounting brackets (Bells CB, or Bob’s). Might be a way to get around space issue for larger radio + DC Power Supply.

You’ll get the most from a proper base station antenna with a Q5 or its circuit board cousins. You’d have to make the move to Amateur Radio gear to exceed its performance.

Good luck with what you decide.

i'm not understanding... you mention Graces and Harrison but those are AM/FM radios and don't have SSB (and the Harrison doesn't have everything built into the mic).

you're way ahead of my knowledge, so i'm off to learn about NRC...

do you know where i can find a list of the Q5 series radios or if any have SSB?

slowmover

AM/SSB

Anytone AT5555-N2

Anytone Ares

Stryker 955

CRT 7900

RadioOddity (looks like Ares)

Videos at Scott’s Radios.

krokus

Premium Subscriber

CDX951

Premium Subscriber
Unfortunately your wish for SSB capability makes this very difficult. For a small footprint SSB capable CB radio your best bet would probably be a President Mckinley. If you want to go the export route an Anytone 6666 is a fine radio!
BTW..........anyone considering the purchase of an Anytone 6666 might want to wait a bit. It is rumored that Qixang is coming out with an upgraded version of the 6666 that will include digital noise reduction!

JD

prcguy

Premium Subscriber
Unfortunately your wish for SSB capability makes this very difficult. For a small footprint SSB capable CB radio your best bet would probably be a President Mckinley. If you want to go the export route an Anytone 6666 is a fine radio!
BTW..........anyone considering the purchase of an Anytone 6666 might want to wait a bit. It is rumored that Qixang is coming out with an upgraded version of the 6666 that will include digital noise reduction!

JD
If your considering a 6666 don't wait, buy the AT5555N II now instead. If you go on some rumor there will be another rumor then another and years will go by while you wait and you have nothing. Just get the 5555 and enjoy the best now while everyone else waits. And for what?

CDX951

Premium Subscriber
If your considering a 6666 don't wait, buy the AT5555N II now instead. If you go on some rumor there will be another rumor then another and years will go by while you wait and you have nothing. Just get the 5555 and enjoy the best now while everyone else waits. And for what?
Agreed on the 5555NII. Many will consider the 6666 due to it's smaller size (smaller than a Cobra 29!).

JD

slowmover

Rumor is all we’ve had. And I’d expect PRESIDENT to upgrade the now ten year old Lincoln . . but who knows just when?

slowmover

“Mower Junkie”is a well-liked DIY kinda guy.

Here, on a version of the ANYTONE Ares.

Same circuit board as with list of radios above.

niceguy71

i have a limited desk space situation which would be helped by an all-in-one type radio (or whatever you want to call it, feel free to correct me to help my search)... examples would be the new Cobra 75 'All Road' or the Uniden CMX760 etc...

but none of them have SSB

i want to be able to scan, most everything has scan, but i'd like to have SSB and that seems to only be possible with a large (and usually more expensive) radio.

does anyone know of something similar to the CMX760 in design, that has SSB?

thanks,

Richard
I put my base station in my garage and didn't want to lose any work bench area. I saw a guy used a computer monitor arm that goes on the edge of a desk in another CB forum.... I thought it was a brilliant idea... so I stole the idea.... as you can see that's what I did and lost no room at all... it actually swings out and turns to any position I want! not sure where you can mount the power supply??? but as far as radio size.... if you buy a Amazon computer monitor arm, .... size won't matter at all ... and the Anytone 5555 N II is a fantastic radio as slowmover mentioned.

Attachments

• Base station 1 cropped.jpg
    Base station 1 cropped.jpg
    142.3 KB · Views: 30
  • Base station 33.jpg
    Base station 33.jpg
    228.5 KB · Views: 31

n7lrg

Premium Subscriber
President McKinley has scan, is an excellent radio overall. I run one as a base. The fwd facing speaker is great and is DIN sized to fit into your dash. It's more rugged that the uniden 980 if you offroad.

merlin

My all in one, goes everywhere, does everything is a Barrett 980 HF marine radio.
Scanning SSB you need sylabic scan mode which slows down the scan rate a bit.
10 X 3 X 18 inch real estate needed allowing for cables, and takes a 27 amp power supply to run it.

niceguy71

ANYTONE Graces
I always wanted to play with one of these... I bought a Radioddity CS-47 last week to play with.... (same radio as the Anytone Graces) it really is a nice radio... I hooked it up to my base station and talked to several local people... everyone said the same thing... they all said I sounded distant??? signal strength was full scale on peoples reporting radio's..... so I turned up the mic gain to max.. I think it was to 36... it didn't help at all.... everyone was like put the mic closer to your mouth.. I was yelling into it ...nothing helped... so I turned on the Quad 5 again without telling anyone.. everyone was like now your booming!
what do you expect for A $85 dollar radio that is the size of a pack of cigarettes.

before the mod it put out 3.75 watts.... after the mod it put out 7.85 watts
I had planned to put it in my friend's jeep and see what 7.85 watts would do for range compared to his Cobra 29... I tested his cobra 29..... it dead keyed at 4.76 and swung up to 17 watts... I think that old yard sale cobra 29 would kick the CS-47's butt

DeeEx

I’d check that the hole(s) in the mic casing are properly aligned with the mic element inside the case. Realign or drill a new hole as needed. It’s been a common issue with Yaesu and Alinco mics for decades.