Analog to P25 using Are396pro

Status
Not open for further replies.

n3qdz

I live in Maryland and the Public safety has changed from a analog trunking to a Project25 digital system. I have a BCD 396T uniden scanner. I have used this software but for the life of me I just can't remember how to change it to a p25. I'm not sure if I have to build another system altogether or with a couple clicks change it to P25? HELP The only thing to my limited knowledge is the talk group to digital with a hex and talk group ID.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
I don't really want to dash too many hopes here but if you're talking about the Baltimore county P25 system (it's VERY important to be specific), you might as well forget it. The 396 does not deal very well with the new LSM modulation that this system uses; any bit of overloading or multipath problems and you won't decode anything at all. I also have a 396 and work in the Woodlawn area. The XTs seem to do a better job with this.

In more general terms, you should get a premium subscription and download the new freqs from the database. However if you want to do this manually, set up a new system as a Mot Type II/P25, and the site (really isn't a site, because a 396 cannot do multi site) form should be set up as Mot 800 Standard Type II. I use FreeScan for my programming, as its freeware.

According to the latest intel, the analog system is on standby as a fallback in case the P25 system runs into issues, so I wouldn't delete the analog system just yet.

You can find a full discussion on the issues in the Maryland forum here...

http://forums.radioreference.com/ma.../219410-new-baltimore-county-p-25-system.html

and here is our wiki article on the subject...

Baltimore County P25 - the RR Wiki

Don't fall into the trap of just reading new entries - read all the entries. Become familiar with all the forums we have here.

HTH Mike

Last edited:

n3qdz

Mike thank you so very much for your reply! I will try to build a new system and see how that works out. If it's a now go I guess I will have to get a new scanner. Again thank you so very much for your reply

Matt

Status
Not open for further replies.