Anne Arundel Radio System Down?

Status
Not open for further replies.

maus92

Premium Subscriber
No, I never figured it out. I have RINS and the 8Tac's programmed in my 436hp but didn't get any transmissions. They were not active on any FiRST MD Tac's. I also monitored CMARC and didn't get any activity.

Maybe they used their in car computers for dispatch/ops.
Maybe, but that's not a particularly safe practice.

maus92

Premium Subscriber
I was reviewing some FCC records and came across the RINS channels licensed to the county (that I always forget about.) I wonder if they were used in the outage since it doesn't appear that CMARC or the 800 TACs were used for police operations. (I still don't understand why CMARC wasn't utilized, at least in north county.)

ThePhotoGuy

Premium Subscriber
I was reviewing some FCC records and came across the RINS channels licensed to the county (that I always forget about.) I wonder if they were used in the outage since it doesn't appear that CMARC or the 800 TACs were used for police operations. (I still don't understand why CMARC wasn't utilized, at least in north county.)

I did notice after the outage, AA Radio Personnel were doing coverage testing on FiRST/CMARC in South County. CMARC did not get good coverage. It seemed like FiRST did good but in some of the lower parts of the county they were only able to get FiRST on mobile.

maus92

Premium Subscriber
I did notice after the outage, AA Radio Personnel were doing coverage testing on FiRST/CMARC in South County. CMARC did not get good coverage. It seemed like FiRST did good but in some of the lower parts of the county they were only able to get FiRST on mobile.
Not shocked that CMARC didn't work well in south county - it's barely acceptable where I live in Annapolis. I can see FIRST being marginal in some areas of south county as well, but then again full coverage won't be obtained until Calvert and PG counties are built out. The county's own system performs poorly enough that they use PG TGs to cover it, and will use a PG tower to host a site for the new system.

maus92

Premium Subscriber
The AACo TRS is running on alternate cch 854.8125 this morning. Not sure how long this has been going on (could have been for days.)

riveter

Premium Subscriber
The AACo TRS is running on alternate cch 854.8125 this morning. Not sure how long this has been going on (could have been for days.)

Probably Quantar power amplifiers doing what Quantar PAs do best ... x_x

maus92

Premium Subscriber
I am having a problem receiving voice on system channel 216 / 856.4125 at my location. Every transmission on this system channel is hash - no recognizable voice, no particular TG, either analog or digital. Is anyone else seeing this?

maus92

Premium Subscriber
OK, now I'm believing this is interference from another system. I put up the freq in SDR#, and watched the channel go active with a transmission, but the was no activity on the channel from the AA County system. The transmission I'm hearing sounds like a digital modulation of some kind.

maus92

Premium Subscriber
OK, I've narrowed down the interference, and it's not from another system. What is happening at my location is when 856.4125 is granted, it blows out the control channel (854.4125) on my AirSpy R2 when tuned by Unitrunker 2. Consequently, Unitrunker loses its mind. I tested this by monitoring the audio on 856.4125 using SDR#, and watching the scope and channel activity on UT2 and the waterfall on SDR#. You can plainly see the cch being lost when transmissions occur on 856.4125. When the transmission is analog, you can ID it as AACo traffic. Still investigating whether this is just an UT2 / AirSpy issue, or if it is affecting other radios as well.

n1nlr

OK, I've narrowed down the interference, and it's not from another system. What is happening at my location is when 856.4125 is granted, it blows out the control channel (854.4125) on my AirSpy R2 when tuned by Unitrunker 2. Consequently, Unitrunker loses its mind. I tested this by monitoring the audio on 856.4125 using SDR#, and watching the scope and channel activity on UT2 and the waterfall on SDR#. You can plainly see the cch being lost when transmissions occur on 856.4125. When the transmission is analog, you can ID it as AACo traffic. Still investigating whether this is just an UT2 / AirSpy issue, or if it is affecting other radios as well.

Very odd one indeed! For what it is worth I'm listening to AACo using UT2 and a pair of RTL dongles and have not seen that. I'm on 2.1.0.15. I think they recently pushed .18? which has a bunch of AirSpy changes, could that be involved?

maus92

Premium Subscriber
Very odd one indeed! For what it is worth I'm listening to AACo using UT2 and a pair of RTL dongles and have not seen that. I'm on 2.1.0.15. I think they recently pushed .18? which has a bunch of AirSpy changes, could that be involved?
Possibly. I'm editing a video of the behavior that I'll post here and to the Unitrunker group. But I've had the "interference" at my location for a while, prior to the recent changes in the software. The "interference" shows up in the scope of the UT Radio window. It is odd.

maus92

Premium Subscriber
The link below illustrates the issue. Read the YouTube description for the test setup.

maus92

Premium Subscriber
The problem was definitely with the AirSpy implementation in Unitrunker 2 P18 (and probably earlier versions.) Looks like a programming error wrt .4125

maus92

Premium Subscriber
Does anyone have an Excel (or other format) list of Anne Arundel Fire RIDs? I'm bored, so I might as well start entering them into UT2.

maus92

Premium Subscriber
Anne Arundel's cch has been unstable today, rolling from 854.4125 to 854.3375 to 854.8125 and back now to 854.4125.

And now rolling again.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.